Roland Distributing Corp. 2001 Team Sport Comp Older Tandem Bike

[Aug 02, 2003]
Russ Daniels

OVERALL

I wanted to find a nice, but affordable tandem to ride with my 13-year old. This is a great bike for riding on any surface. I swapped the original semi-knobby tires for Kevlar road tires for easier but durable rides. This is a great bike in the lower price range. We've had great fun and are riding the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred in August. When she outgrows it, we will have recorded loads of fun and I won't mind if it sits in the garage because it didn't cost thousands. Maybe I'll get a Santana next, but this was the perfect fit for us for now. It holds three water bottles and we put a nice rack on the back with a touring bag. The stoker seat post has a shock absorber and the front handlebar has a mechanism to provide some cushion so your arms aren't jolted on rougher surfaces. I put a computer on it and we cruise between 12-15 mph but could go much faster if we wanted. Others will look down on my cheap tandem, but at least I have one I could afford and better yet, my 13-year girl is on the back. What else could you want? I couldn't do this for $3,000 to $5,000 dollars and we'd both be home watching TV instead.

[Jul 08, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Adjustability

Limited gear range
No front fork rack bosses.
Overly soft HB suspension

This tandem will be snubbed by conspicous consumption psudo tandem experts with only recent experience but seems to have much to offer in the lower price range.

With about 750 miles on the bike over the last month (a 450 mile tour) I have not regretted my purchase.

The bike was purchased for less then perfect bike path surfaces where I wanted to use wider tires then my other tandems could accept. It has served this purpose well. It also will be a good loaner.

While not "state of the art" it is better then all but the finest tandems that were available to anyone 20 years ago.

I will admit that a 54 MPH (accurate!) descent was faster then I had expected or plan to do on this bike again. It was however quite stable.

Have to have a better bike? If you want to spend the money you can certainly justify buying much better. But first decide what you are going to be using it for: Road riding, path riding, off road riding, racing or for "show"!