Trek 2001 T100 Older Tandem Bike

USER REVIEWS

Showing 1-3 of 3  
[May 13, 2020]

OVERALL
RATING
Strength:

Bought the T100 new in 1992-93. My wife and I toured pulling a Bob trailer. East coast, west coast, and 1600 miles in Australia. Before the Australian trip, upgraded wheels and added a disc drag brake for long downhills. Very comfortable frame for older riders. Easy to maneuver and original gearing robust. It's been years since we've ridden, but it's a great bike.

Weakness:

very rarely developed frame oscillation (bounce) on long downhills as speed built up

Price Paid:
?
Purchased:
New  
Model Year:
[Aug 21, 2009]
Anonymous
Recreational Rider

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
Strength:

Great frame, no problem with the wheels or any other components. After 10 years or so in an unheated storage shed the crank bolts were rusty, that was about it.

Weakness:

The original saddles were awful and changed out years ago. It really needed the shock absorbing seatpost on the rear (again added when it was new).

I bought this new in the mid 90's, rode it for a few years and recently got it back on the road.

Similar Products Used:

Motobecane and Schwinn Paramount tandems in the early 70's.

[Nov 28, 2006]
Anonymous
Recreational Rider

OVERALL
RATING
VALUE
RATING
Strength:

One of the best low-cost (in tandem bike terms) frames. The Cr-Mo butted tubes are brazed directly, excellent repetitive welding quality. Made in USA, by the way, in the 1990s.
Mine is the largest frame size, 32" front stand-over height, and even in this size the frame is solid and stiff enough for touring.
Good Shimano component set.
Again, for the price, a lot of tandem bike.

Weakness:

Wheels were / are reported weak. Catalogs show various wheel types over the years 1992 - 1999.
Stock tires were trash, but time has long since cured that on any used Trek.
Short on "extras" such as suspension seat posts, drum drag brakes in the "standard" Trek line, as befits a lower end line.
Paint is high quality, but a bit drab in color.

Trek T100 "Double Trek"
Purchased new in 1997 for $960. Even then Trek was heavily discounted as (per Bill McCready) their tandem sales never approached marketing forecasts.
This is the "hybrid" model with a more upgright position than the T200 (which shares the identical frame set). Shimano tandem set components. Triple Front chainrings of various sizes were fitted over the years, mine was 28-38-48 but Trek catalog also lists 30-42-54. Seven speed Shimano cassette, stock was 11-30 or 12-28.

Similar Products Used:

A Santana of any model from 1990s is superior, but it will also command several times the price of a T100.

Roadbikereview Newsletter

Get the latest roadbike reviews, news, race results, and much more by signing up for the Roadbikereview Newsletter

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.