Kestrel KM40 Airfoil Older Triathlon Bike

3.4 pound one-piece frame with 650c EMS fork. Your choice of Black, Red or Mango Yellow finish. Frame material: Intermediate Modulus Carbon Fibre Monocoque Airfoil

[Jul 17, 2019]
BlueEchoes

OVERALL
Strength:

Do I dare review a bike that may be 20 years old? Sure. I used to be an avid rider until about 15 years ago. I am getting back on the bike now with my son but only had a mountain bike. I spent a good 6 months trying to find a bike I liked (in my price range of course) and one day I was checking Craig's list and saw this cool looking bike. I then did a big time search looking for any info on it. Came here and saw the reviews. I probably tried out 30 bikes in my search, new and used, so I was just thinking this would be another strike out. Checked the bike out and took it for a spin. It was in Amazing shape, and wow could it go. So I bought it. Only thing I had to do with it was put new tape on it. I do not know what year it is, but it is Kona blue. It rides wonderfully, and I can feel the quality when riding it. I had quite the collection of road bikes when I was serious about riding. All were very good bikes, but this one has a special feel to it. It is solid in all the right places and smooth in all the right places. I am nowhere near they athlete I was back when I was serious, but this bike may just get me back to being pretty close to where I was at when I was 30 years younger. 20+/- years old and I have had 2 offers from other riders to buy it from me. I was at a race a few weeks ago (rode there with my son) to watch and a few of the contestants asked about it. It is like a White Lens on a Canon Camera, it seems to draw attention. I definitely did not get it for that. Great bike still after all these years. If you can find one, the price is so right for it. High quality and an incredible price. I called Kestrel and they could not give me any info on when it was built. If anyone knows where I can find out what year it was built, post up here.

None that I can see right now. Too fast? HAH!

Price Paid:
500.00
Purchased:
Used
[May 03, 2014]
Peter

OVERALL
Strength:

Handles like a dream with great and easy acceleration. Just one of the best riding frames ever produced.

NONE !! Well just one minor one. Clear coats on the nude carbon frames tend to chip, but my KM40 is not a show bike although the frame design is WAY KOOL

I'm not a Triathlete, just a 65 year old (old fart) who lives in the Midwest where the riding season is only about 7 months. I put on about 3000 miles a year and can't wait to bring out my KM40. I started with my first Kestrel, a K4000 years ago, graduated to a Kestrel 500SCI loving the 650C wheel size with lower center of Gravity and the went to the KM40 about three years ago. I've two KM40s, my 2001 KM40 for wet weather and my 2009 KM40 for dry weather.

P.S.
The one fellow who wrote the poor review accusing all of us KM40 lovers of Kestrel thinks we all work for Kestrel is a joke. He's the only one I've heard of ever not wanting to own a KM40. One bad experience so I can't blame him but such is life.

[Aug 25, 2007]
Darrin

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth handling.
Solid, even on rough roads.
Fast.
comfortable.

Tends to cause uncontrollable penile enlargement while riding.

This is the most stable, fastest accelerating, bike I have owned. My previous saddle was a Zipp 2001. This bike blows the Zipp away. I've got well over 4000 miles on this frame. And with me weighing in at a consistent 210 lbs. the structural integrity of the frame is immaculate (minus a few chips in the paint from rocks). This bike just keeps taking me farther, faster, and longer. It does seem to prefer HED wheels over the Zipp wheels. But regardless the wheelset, I can still crank up the speed effortlessly.
I built this bike myself so I didn't see the retail costs some other folks have incurred.

Zipp

[Apr 22, 2003]
Rich T

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast and comfortable... I estimate about 80% less fatigue in rides 25 miles plus compare to my TCR.

I can only afford one!

I've been casing the KM40 since 1999... it is now April of 2003... After several years of dreaming of the KM40... ahhhh, yes, I finally own my very own! It is a 2003 Black Fade 52cm KM40 Airfoil frame set w/ Kestrel Pro 650c Bladed carbon fork with Dura Ace bar end shifters, Ultegra cranks, derailleurs, HED DEEP rear 650c, HED Jet front 650c, carbon bladed seatpost and Flite saddle, XLab rear bottle/gadget holder. It is a dream... started multisport racing last season... wanted nothing but the best. I have considered all of the big named tri-bike brands... nothing flipped me like the Kestrel KM40. I have been using my customized TCR with nice aero stuff but really wanted a tri-specific bike for racing in multisport events. My wife road with me today and she said... "do you hear that... sounds like a whooshing sound when I ride pass her". I never notice until I angled my head to the direction of my path and heard it for myself... cool sound! OK... here are some things I like about the KM40's performance: 1. Smooth! Gosh... now I now how harsh aluminum frames are now... this carbon fiber frame set is very smooth. 2. Noticeable more areo than my road bike. 3. first time out, 6 miles faster on the flats at my local training track... not as stiff on the climbs as my TCR but responds well... no complaints! 4. Made in the USA... my first... very nice quality make and materials 5. Sweet paint to caron weave paint job on the fram and a super kewl bladed 650c fork. 6. KEWL FACTOR... way up there... definitely an eye catcher. 7. My wheel set (HED DEEP rear and HED Jet front) works well and looks great with this frame set... it was used in older model KM40's... so I stuck with the same set... I like them... although they are even more deep dished then my spinergies... I do not get the side wind hits like the Spinergy's Rev-X's. Very fast! 8. Lastly, Kestrel is a first class manufacturer... to Troy at the CA headquarters... thanks for the highest customer service I ever experienced from anyone... EVER!... I feel very good about the quality of the people who make KESTREL successful. THANKS! Like the previous rider who rated this bike... I too was fortunate enough to afford this bike not at retail... as built, it would have easily been over $4,500 but got it for nearly half that... I still believe it is worth the price... just work hard to find the best deal. I had a great triathlon outfitter custom build and fit the bike for me (Wheelie Fun in Lebanon, Ohio) Make sure to get the best bike dudes to work on it so you can have the best fit for this bike. So... what are you waiting for? Ah, it's ok to dream like I did... when you finally have one... you'll have a smile from ear-to-ear! RIDE ON!!! Rich in Cincinnati

Demo'd all major brands... including aluminum, steel and carbons.

[Dec 08, 2002]
ludwigb1

OVERALL
Strength:

Soaks bumps and vibration superbly Very aero Great looking Your friend´s dream bike

Not enough sizes (52 and 56cm only) Could be a bit lighter, but it´s OK anyway A bit pricey,but worth every penny you spend

It´s very nice to write about such a great bike as this one. When you ride it for the first time, you simply can´t believe the incredible confort. I usually ride through broken-pavement roads, and this bike makes the difference. Surprisingly, it climbs pretty well and feels nice on out-of-the-saddle sprints. Very aero, looks fast standing still. Mine is 52cm, which fortunately, fits me perfectly. No problem with the paint so far (4500 miles). I also own a Kestrel Talon with road set-up, not as shock absorbing as this one, in spite of being the same type of carbon fiber. The seat-tubeless design could be an important factor. Congratulations, Kestrel guys!!!

Kestrel Talon (road set-up, Dura Ace, Kestrel Carbon handlebar, USE Carbon Alien seatpost, Look Carbostem, Zipp 303, Conti clinchers, Look 396 pedals, Shimano Flight Deck, Selle Italia Max Flite Trans

[Aug 21, 2002]
DAMONRUN

OVERALL
Strength:

THE STRENGTH TO WEIGHT RATIO. THE BIKE SPRINTS UP THE ACCENTS AND FLIES DOWN THE DECENTS.

NONE, EVEN AFTER 13 YEARS!

I PURCHASED MY KM-40 EMS IN 1990 AND THERE WERE ONLY A HANDFUL THAT WERE MADE WITH EMS MATERIAL. AFTER ALMOST 13 YEARS AND THOUSANDS OF MILES LATER, THE BIKE PERFORMS PERFECTLY.

THIS IS MY FIRST TRIATHLON/IRONMAN BIKE SETUP

[Jun 26, 2002]
Tim Bereika

OVERALL
Strength:

• very light • carbon frame absorbs bumps nicley • aero shape • very, very fast • comfortable on long rides

• price, but you're paying for quality. This thing is top of the line.

This bike was sized and built to my specs and I must say, it is damn comfortable and smooth riding. It's very fast as well. I felt better practicing transitions on this bike than on my aluminum frame. My bike time and run time will both benefit from this purchase. Hopefully this bike will last a while.

This is my first high-end tri bike or hi-end anything for the road. Prior to this purchase I rode a Specialzed Allez Sport.

[May 30, 2002]
TRI3

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Very Aero 2. Smooth Ride - Way better than aluminum, steel, or Ti IMO 3. Cool looking frame 4. Proven Triathlon Bike

Price

First, after reading the negative reviews, I must say they must have gotten lemons. I consider myself to be a pretty strong rider (55/42 Chainring Setup) and the KM-40 frame so far has given me zero problems. My roommate who also does triathlons has taken his KM-40 to 4 Ironmans + a ton of 1/2 Ironmans and Olympic distance races with zero problems. 1. The first thing you will notice coming from a ti, aluminum or steel frame bike is how smooth the ride is. The carbon really seems to absorb road shock. Bumps that used to be pretty jarring on long rides, just don't seem to effect you has much. Now I think this could be due both the KM-40 being carbon as well as not having a seat tube. 2. You will find yourself in the saddle much longer than you would with other frame materials. It is just so darn comfortable. This will translate into faster bike times as well as better bike to run transitions. 3. You will notice that the ride seems more quiet. I really think this frame is much more aero than the standard road/triathlon geometry frame. In fact, when there is a headwind you actually feel faster than on a traditional geometry bike and I am assumming you are.

Triathon Bikes: Litespeed Tachyon Slingshot Road Bikes: Litespeed Classic Litespeed Ultimate Performance [email protected]! Outback Steel

[Nov 05, 2001]
rinserni

OVERALL
Strength:

The ride... nothing like it. The look... just awesome.

Paint chips on chainstay by cassette... no big deal. 56 fits me, but they really should make more sizes.

This bike is awesome! I think the best thing about this bike is the ride... in the Texas State Duathlon Championships (which my teammate and I won the mixed team division), when the course got rough, I was passing bikes that were actually buzzing or rattling on the rough pavement and I could see that the riders were absorbing a lot of shock, but I was just screaming along in absolute comfort! And... with my HED 3 tri-spokes on... this bike looks fast standing still. This bike, and John Cobb''s fitting, definitely cranked my bike speed to the next level.

I went to John Cobb''s shop, Bicyclesports, in Shreveport La, and test rode Trek, Aegis, Litespeed, Softride, Quintana Roo bikes for almost two hours.

[Aug 22, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Aerodynamics, weight, comfort, looks

Pricey, finish is fragile

I trained and raced my original KM40 for 6 years with never a problem. I sent it back to the factory and had it repainted (Kona Blue) and built it up with DuraAce 9 spd. I still use it as my training/back-up bike. Its 8 years old! The new KM40 (no seat tube) is a dream machine. I have completed 2 Ironmans, 3 halfs and 8 International distance races on it. This is a time trial/tri bike. A traditional road bike is more stable, will climb better and is certainly more comfortable on a long haul, but if you race and want a technical advantage, the KM40 is a great choice. Also, I would say that if you are 185 lbs or more, this may not be the bike for you.

Original KM40 (with seat tube), Zipp 2001