Van Dessel Sports Super Fly 2002 Cruiser Bike

[May 27, 2009]
J

OVERALL

Front caliper is weak for a disc brake.
moustache handle bars,...replaced with a riser straight bar and voila,...perfect bike

What a fantastic fun bike,...the layout and components make this a very fun to ride city, trail/road bike,...big enough tires and suspension to soak up some curb jumping/dirt trails,...easy to use Nexus Hub and a disc brake up front,...a very funky and stout frame,...could'nt be happier, I keep this as my fun/run to the store/extra bike for grrlfren/go for coffee bike.
I get positive comments on it all the time.

[Aug 23, 2003]
girishji

OVERALL
Strength:

see above.

It seems heavier than what it should be. Dunno why. Cound be the rear drum brakes (they seem to weith over 1 lb.). Internal hub adds some weight too. Lots of cheap components everywhere. Color: Mine is taxi yellow. I did not like it in the beginning, but I have grown to like it. However, rims should have been black. In fact, the silver looking components appear cheap and out of place. The stock front brake did not work. It made lots of noise and was impossible to adjust. I called Van Dessel and the guy agreed to send another pair. But its been months and I have not got any. I gave up, since I did not care for another junk. My top tube is 57cm (size is 56 cm). It could have been longer but this is not a big issue since one can find a longer stem. Otherwise it has a nice geometry. Since I replaced some stuff, I gave a lower value rating. However, I gave a good overall rating because it has the right combination of stuff, and I am not aware of another bike which has this unique combination.

Pleased with the purchase. Can't go wrong for the price. I have a road bike (Fuji Ace) and I found the Fuji ride to be really harsh esp. through the roads of cambridge/somerville/boston. While looking for a comfy, all-weather bike, I accidentally stumbled upon this one on 'the auction site'. I have replaced couple of components, like the front brake, handlebar and stem. For handlebar I went with the familiar moutain bike style setup. Mounted fenders and a rear rack to carry my backpack-cum-pannier. Here are the likes: 1) Shimano nexus internal gears: works well. Easy to adjust and (supposedly) weather resistant. Everything is sealed. Also, it is easy to take off the cable during wheel removal (without unscrewing anything). It seems to have a bit more drag compared to a derailleur setup, but too small to be noticeable (I have a Cannondale F600 and Fuji Ace for comparison). I also mounted 26mm tires which have less rolling resistance than the stock ones. In short, the bike is quite fast. Only the extreme-roadies can get past me. 2) Suspension: front and seatpost. The front suspension works quite well. It has a preload adjustment which I have not messed with. It does the job, and there seems to be no side play (just like F600). However there is no damping, but it is really not needed for the intended application. Seatpost suspension had a bit of striction, so I replaced it with another cheap one I had which did not have striction. Overally, the ride is very smooth, I can ride all day with comfort. I bought this bike for everyday commute, and it is holding up quite well. 3) Eyelets/holes for mounting racks, fenders etc. In the winter I plan to mount some studded tires (if needed). There seems to be plenty of clearence for big fenders and big tires. 4) Brakes: I replaced the front with Avid mechanical disk brake. They have awesome stopping power (and good enough modulation). The rear drum brake performs quite well (no noise etc.). Since I can break well, I usually go quite fast in crowded areas. I suppose the brakes should work well in winter. Needless to say, they are not affected by rain, mud etc. 5)700c wheels: skinny tires are easy to find. Overall, I recommend this bike for anyone but extreme road-racers. It is ideal for everyday commute. In fact, I use this bike even during weekends, it has the right balance of comfort and speed.

[Mar 20, 2003]
Barry

OVERALL
Strength:

-Disc Brakes -Nexus internal 7-speed hub -Comfy saddle -Suspension fork and seatpost -Moustache handlebars -Front rack mounts -Huge tire clearance

-Handlebars too narrow -Top tube too short

For several years, I’ve been searching for the perfect “All ‘Rounder” bike. Then I found the Van Dessel Super Fly. It has everything I was looking for, and more: trick European styling, disc brakes, internal gearing, rack mounts, front and rear suspension, huge tire clearance and even moustache handlebars like the coveted Bridgestone XO-1 and Waterford All ‘Rounder. This bike has it all. My wife instantly fell in love with the Super Fly. I’ve owned 25+ bikes in the past 10 years, including several super-high-end custom rigs from Merlin, Kelly, Kona, Soulcraft and WTB. She says the Van Dessel is her favorite by far. She hardly noticed my other bikes. Interesting… The moustache handlebars offer both an upright “city” riding position and a slightly stretched out fast riding position with hands in the forward loops. The Nexus shifters work instantly, even at a stop. There is ample gear range for most any situation, including very fast riding (it’s geared rather high). The frame has huge tire and fender clearance. The front “headshock” suspension and the suspension seat post take the edge off of bumps, without absorbing pedaling energy. The disc front and roller rear brakes are brilliant. Every bike should have these. They work perfectly in the rain, unlike rim brakes. I was amazed. The 30c Ritchey Tom Slick tires are just the right size: Nice and grippy, even in the wet. I’ve found my all-weather bike! In the winter time, just mount up some 700 x 42c knobbies – there’s plenty of clearance. My only critiques are minor. I’d like wider handlebars, for one. A longer top tube would be great; but this bike already has a longer top tube than many hybrid/city bikes, which is a plus. There’s a lot to love about the Super Fly. It’s hard to believe that I bought this great bike for $400 on Ebay, brand new in the carton. Get one before they’re all gone. Kevin (vwdoublecab) will treat you right. Tell him Barry from Illinois sent you.

Merlin, Soulcraft, Kelly, Kona, Voodoo, Cannondale, Schwinn, Ryan, RANS, Miyata, Fuji, Cadex, Specialized

[Nov 18, 2002]
winstonc

OVERALL
Strength:

Avid disc brake up front. Nexus internally geared hub. Low-maintenence (hypothetically).

Dumb-looking moustache handlebars. Disc brake gets in the way of front fender mount.

This is the ultimate commuter bike. It's got an Avid disc brake and an internally geared hub with a drum brake in back. The headshok-like suspension and the seatpost suspension give a cushy ride. There's mounting holes for fenders and front and rear racks -- very important for biking in the rain. However, the front fender eyelet is blocked by the disc brake, so I mounted my front fender to the pannier eyelet instead. The disc and drum brake are pretty much unaffected by rain; this bike handles wet conditions better than any other "commuter" bike I've seen. The only thing that sucks is the moustache handlebars; I plan to switch to a flat bar.

Various road bikes.