Eddy Merckx Alu Cross 2002 Cyclocross Bike

Tubing: 7020 Throughout his illustrious racing career Eddy Merckx was meticulous in the detail of his bicycles, taking the utmost pride in the fit and finish of all his equipment. As a manufacturer he retains these qualities, incorporates them with his unparalleled racing experiences, and shares them with thousands like you.

[Oct 23, 2019]
gsmall

OVERALL
Strength:

Liberated this bike from my father’s garage when I left for college and since then it has become my primary bike for the last decade. Never raced this bike but rode it hard and always found it up to the challenge. Including downhilling at Winter Park and touring through national parks. Would recommend it to anyone who is also tall. Defenetly interested in purchasing other if you happen to have one in your garage.

Overall a strong design but I bent the fork when I tried to ride through a construction site and found it hard to replace the old school diameter. In my experience Merckx frames have to be properly sized and fitted or they’re hard on the lower back.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2002
[Feb 11, 2007]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Merckx name. Indestructible. Built like a tank. 27.2 seatpost.

Rides like a tank. Weighs as much. Too tall a seat tube for cross. Italian bb.

Cross bike built like a tank. Tubes too thick to ding. Nice high (cross norm) bb and quick steering. The 56 is c to c all around- means the seat collar is too high for me to run enough seatpost to tame the very stiff ride. May ride better with someone heavier than my 150 pounds.

Lots of Al cross bikes, Kona Jakes, Cannondale Optimo, Specialized.

[Oct 17, 2006]
wheelhouse

OVERALL
Strength:

A great all around bike for me. A good choice if you're looking for an all in one ride.

A bit heavy for some maybe.

Very strong bike. I'm a big guy and this thing handles me no problem. I use it for road riding, light off roading and commuting.

N/A