Lightning Cycle Dynamics P 38 2002 Recumbent Bike

[Aug 21, 2003]
ericwarp

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame for good power transfer, the best recumbent seat available (in my opinion)

high bottom bracket may cause some foot numbness on long rides

Been riding recumbents for 14 years, and the P-38 is my favorite. I can cruise at 22-24mph in complete comfort. I built a small Coroplast tailbox behind the seat to store my Camelbak and tools, which makes the bike a bit more aero than stock.

Rotator Pursuit (we've got two of them) and Trek R200 (picked it up for $650 when Trek dumped their remaining stock)

[May 13, 2003]
Glenn

OVERALL
Strength:

Suprisingly comfortable without any form of suspension. Faster than your road bike once you get the feel of the bike's position.

You need to wear clip in shoes of some type. Otherwise, your feet come off the pedals very easily. However, until you master getting going, use toe clips on conventional pedals to get the feel of the bike.

Due to arthritis of 57 years of living, either I had to find a more comfortable ride than a mountain bike or give up riding. I first bought a cheap recumbent, Bikee, which I still ride for fun and really like and then found the love of my bicycling life on eBay, a Lightning P-38 upgraded with everything at XTR or XT. What a wonderful machine, fast, comfortable, easy to learn if you have ridden a recumbent before. When first riding the bike, the body position is a bit strange but this feeling quickly becomes comfortable, particularly with shoes clipped to good pedals. If you like road bikes, you will love this bike - just as fast but 10X easier on the body.

Bikee products, test rides of most of the better short wheel base recumbents.

[Jul 10, 2002]
ap2049

OVERALL
Strength:

comfortable, fast, and very good on hills, transports easy,

really none

I switched from a carbon trek wedgie 7200 and in only three days was beat all my previous times. This bike is fast and very comfortable . this bike climbs hills and with fairing it is even faster

vision and rex

[May 31, 2002]
babajeje

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent handling and comfort. Climbs reasonably well though not as fast as a double-triangle traditional design.

Expensive. Doesn't climb as fast as a 'wedgie'. Small imperfections in fork welding.

This is my first recumbent, having ridden traditional 'wedgie' bikes for decades. Tried quite a few brands, the Lightning had the best handling and fit for me (5'10" 155#). Used it on TOSRV'02 & finished with an average speed of just over 17 mph, and best of all, had no back, shoulder, or sit-bone fatigue, felt better than after any century I've ever ridden. I wanted a fun, fast, comfortable bike for flat-to-rolling terrain and multi-day tours, and the P-38 has not disappointed.

Tested Vision, Trek models.