Bianchi Campione 2002 Road Bike

[Jul 25, 2020]
ecc-3-time

OVERALL
Strength:

At 69 I thought my road bike days were nearly a decade over giving over to comfort. A MAsi 3V with full Super Record and a Cyclops by Mike Mulholland with Dura Ace 7400 were my most recent steeds. Enter a 2003 Bianchi Campione Campy Veloce on Craigslist in absolute pristine condition. I just couldn’t resist. In a word: SPECTACULAR All the comfort of a great geometry and steel frame with the quickness and inspiration for which the Italian frame makers are legendary. The thrill is back!

There are none for me but if you are looking for a race bike the Campione is not a good choice.

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2003
[Feb 21, 2020]
Presto37

OVERALL
Strength:

I own the 2011 model, bianchi campione . Bought used , complete with stock parts , then broke the entire bike down , treated the internal steel with frame saver , paint touch ups , then rebuilt fully custom . The frame specs for me were almost perfect , bianchi lite double butted steel , threaded BB , aggressive yet comfortable , mildly sloping top tube, great road bike geometry , thread less headset , frame will handle 700x28 tires as well . Fully built with assorted SRAM parts & 2x10 drivetrain , and the stock fork was really heavy so replaced with a carbon one . Full bike weight is now 19.5 lbs . Not bad at all ! It’s fast for a steel bike ,handles really well , and can even hit some mild gravel on it . Great bike !

Definitely not a race bike , but still is very fast for a steel bike once you get it up to speed . The one issue I’ve had on this frame and on the bianchi brava I have is the rear axle can slip out while hustling or applying too much pressure , higher end quick release skewers that’s bolt down with bite have solved it for now .

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2011
[Nov 17, 2007]
DM.Aelis

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness. Comfort. Geo, which makes cornering and everything so pleasant. Looks. Classic Italian hand-made wonder. Oh. It's beautiful.

Weight. That is it.

This was my first road bike, as I wanted to get into racing without breaking the bank. I was wary at first...old steel frame, blah blah blah, is it even race-worthy?

Pffft. It is. Don't let the gimmicks fool you. While this is certainly a heavy frame, it is stiff, great looking in solid-celeste, and the perfect frame for training/racing on a budget. The geo is super comfortable, the frame soaks up the road like no other, and I can't tell you how much of a pleasure it is to ride.

I lucked out with a great bike that does everything I need it to. When the time comes to upgrade, I'll stick with Bianchi and move to one of their more modern lighter frames (FC, FG Lite, or 928L) most likely. But for the time being, this bike is treating me well.

Right now I just need to work on the engine. I'm giving 4/5 overall, just because newer frames could offer this and more with lighter weight.

[May 28, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome frame! Mirage Ergo shifters and Veloce brakes are as good as their bigger brothers. I slowly upgraded all of the (relativley) weaker components mentioned below.

Wheelset is OK for a backup set, but I upgraded to Chorus hubs and Mavic Open Pros. Campy Mirage group is reliable and performs well, but I am very picky about crisp shifting, so I upgraded the derailleurs and cassette to Chorus. The bike is a bit heavy, so I swapped the seatpost and fork for carbon fiber. Now the bike weighs an acceptable 21 lbs. Headset is not strong enough for comuting over rough roads. I cracked the fork crown race after < 1000 mi. Bianchi offered to replace it, but I opted to replace it with the best--Chris King.

I primarily bought this bike for the traditional geometry and its hand-made Italian steel frame. I compared tons of bikes at the $1000 level, and this one had the best ride by far.

My first real road bike. Tested a myriad of others including Specialized Allez, LeMonds, Giant OCRs, Trek 1000 series, etc.

[Jul 22, 2003]
Pseudo Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks! - It's gorgeous in traditional Celeste! Road feel combined with responsiveness. Bianchi has come up with a perfect balance, at a bargain price! The traditional geometry is perfect for anything, from road racing, to commuting to centuries. High quality frame as used on Bianchi's higher level bikes - Well worth upgrading. This bike just seems to exude tradition & character.

True, it's not the lightest mount out there, and never could be, but that's not the reason I wanted this bike! Although the Mirage/Veloce componentry probably actually works "better" than my old Nuovo Record, it doesn't feel quite as solid or "slick" as my old Nouvo Record stuff.

Heritage & Tradition - True Italian character combined with modern functionality. This bike was my re-entry bike into road cycling after a 10 year hiatus. I wanted to replace the early '80's Bianchi Nuovo Racer, with Campy Nuovo Record grouppo, that was stolen. It had to be Bianchi, steel, Celeste, Campy, and as all-Italian as possible, but on a budget... The Campione is near-perfect. It performs in it's intended role like the Champion it is! I especially love the fluid & responsive "feel of steel" - including the absorbant quality of the steel fork. I feel like I could put a million miles on this bike; I hope I can last as long as the bike and Campagnolo parts!

1980 Bianchi Nouvo Racer with full Campy Nouvo Record grouppo. Similar vintage Paramount with Dura Ace (borrowed from a friend for a summer). Several late '80's / early '90's Cannondale road bikes.

[Jun 02, 2003]
Avi Loewenstein

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride, Italian steel, campy parts, can't get any better for the price.

Terrible stock saddle (I bought a new Koobi PRS saddle), takes some breaking in, but that is expected.

Overall, this bike is an absolute great buy. For under $1000, there arn't many great bikes (and NONE American), but this is an exception. The ride is smooth and the steel does a good job absorbing some of the bumps in the road. The look 206 pedals are top of the line.

[May 02, 2003]
Brandon

OVERALL

I like the bike overall, but have some gripes with it. I have long legs and a short torso, so I had to get a shorter stem with a bit of a rise. More importantly, I've had some mechanical issues with it - the original nut and bolt that held the seatpost had to be replaced because it didn't hold, and the chain snapped after less than a thousand road miles. The campy has been nice other than that. My biggest problem has been with the headset wobbling, I've taken it to two bike shops who haven't been able to get a permanent fix, I think it will have to be replaced. When I ride, I have to hand - tighten it every few miles!

[Mar 18, 2003]
BricLC

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame for good price, sweet campy components

Saddle kinda sucks, mine came with crappy pedals, but what can you expect for the price

Overall, i could not be happier with the bike especially for the price i paid. It rides smoothe as hell. This is my first road bike and i feel completely stable on it.

Bianchi veloce triple, Cannondale R600

[Aug 05, 2002]
jtkirk15

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort and value.

As I like to say, it isn't what it isn't. No weaknesses (well the CXP21's had to go!)

My first road bike has not disappointed me. I am pleased with the ride quality and the raciness of the bike. I don't believe that in this price range you can find a bike with a better compliment of ride quality and race worthiness.

[Jul 05, 2002]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Italian steel with 100% Campy for just a hair over $1000.00-- what's not to like?

None worth mentioning. At this price, one can't expect professional team-issue!

The Campione is a great bicycle. It's not for those enamored of light weight and high-tech, but those who appreciate classic Italian steel will love it.

Giant Allegre