Cannondale R500 Triple 2002 Road Bike

[Sep 19, 2011]
Sweep

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable ride, even the original seat. I've upgraded components but the originals were durable.

Original Tiagra shifters work, but only because I'm familiar with the fine tune tweeking required.

I bought my bike, new in 2004, and it's been a good bike, getting me through numerous Half Iron and two Ironman events. However, I have made several changes, perhaps should have just upgraded. Changed the triple to a Sram Force compact crank set. Look Keo carbon pedals, Easton 50SL wheels. Still think it could shift more smoothly, so I'm contemplating more changes. Would try a new carbon bike if I won the lottery, but it's fine for my level of competitiveness.

I had a St.Severein 10speed back in 1971, but I don't think that counts.

[Sep 13, 2010]
Luca Salvucci

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, handling, although good responsiveness

Front derailleur isn't enough stiff, I'd rather preferred a 105 groupset on this frame and wheels setup but for the price paid I'm fine so far.

I've purchased this bike in Italy on sale on september 2010 on sale and the components are different from those you find on US models. My R500 CAAD4 has a Tiagra groupset 9 speeds with Tiagra hubs and Mavic Cxp21 rims. It also has a double Cannondale crankset with 53-39 chainrings.
I'm really satisfied with this bike. It's a great ride, comfortable, responsive, stiff enough for the recreational cyclist that loves to do long rides like granfondos, safe in downhill roads with switchbacks even on rough roads. I'm 6'tall and my weight is 160 lbs. The seat is in leather and discovered that it really suits me. The shop guy told me it was made in 2004 but I'm not so sure of that.

Bianchi Mega Alloy Reparto Corse - Campagnolo Veloce-Mirage Groupset, with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels

[May 19, 2009]
bikerboynyc

OVERALL
Strength:

tbd

tbd

Hi,

Lot's of great reviews on here. I need some advice if it's out there. I live in NYC and am new to road biking. I'm 6'tall and 150lbs. Only adult bike I've ever owned was a 2001 GT 5.0 mountain bike a few yrs ago. I've been looking for a geared road bike, something entry-level, and decided on Cannondale. I found a 2008 56cm R500 on Ebay yesterday, but the seller seems to not know a ton about bikes either. Just that it's in mint condition, and has ritchey bars ,clip on peddles, carbon fiber fork, shimano tiagra frount derailer, and a deore xt rear derailer. I realize the R500 stock components are basic, but I'm just starting out and am hoping this bike will be a perfect first ride. Is this a good deal at $470? I know the R500 is no longer produced, but I can't find the price it was selling for new. Also... anyone have any thoughts on these derailers? I really know very little about bikes. Any thoughts are appreciated.

'01 GT 5.0 mountain bike

[Dec 06, 2003]
Adam Tranter

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight Frame Durability Looks Brand, Shallow I know :P

Poor Groupset as standard. But you get what you pay for.

This bike is great, I got mine dirt cheap and I know a lot of people who paid a lot more for it. The frame is very lightweight and the carbon fork goes nicely with it. The only downside to it is the poor groupset, although I haven't had many problems with it I could probably get the weight down to 6 and a half pounds if I was alternatively using Ultegra. I must say this is a great Entry Level bike, and even better to give you a good start to Road Racing.

Trek OCLV

[Aug 17, 2003]
Tyler

OVERALL
Strength:

Handles well, grips road. Stiff frame but doesn't beat you to death. Very lightweight and sturdy.

Having a little autoshifting trouble.

This is my first road bike, and I have to say I'm impressed. I test rode several entry-level bikes, and this one had the best ride. You might find a great deal on this one b/c it's a 2002. I did. It's fast and responsive, and the carbon fork really helps to dampen high-freq. vibrations, which were much more noticable on the Giant OC3 and Specialized that I tried out.

[Jun 05, 2003]
Nigeyy

OVERALL
Strength:

really nice frame, feels really good applying pedal pressure -you feel like all your energy is going forward and not being sapped by the frame.

rims are weak, crankset and bb seem heavy (in relation to other bikes in the price range I paid). Saddle is questionable.

I got a "new" 2002 R500 on sale from a LBS, so I was really pleased. First, I have to admit that I haven't had much to compare this bike to, so take my comments with a pinch of salt. Frame: I think the frame is a thing of beauty -all personal opinion I know, but I love the yellow colour scheme. Also, and again I say this knowing I don't have too much of a benchmark, the frame seems really stiff going forward but absorbent on the vertical motion. Trying out the bike really really surprized me as I thought from all the comments I'd read the CAAD 4 has a reputation for being really stiff. Maybe C'dale is designing the frames better, maybe it's because I'm a 200lber. A point of interest here: this frame seems more vertically absorbent than the 1980s steel frames I'd been riding, even though they all felt more noodly applying pedal pressure. That really impressed me. Components: Probably the downfall of this bike -but then again for the price I paid, I have no real complaints. I'm glad I have 9-speed stuff (even if it is bottom of the line) so I can always upgrade as stuff wears out -hopefully in a long time from now. My biggest criticism are the rims (or is it the wheel build?) which seem to get out of true very easily. Also the bb and crankset (C'dale own brand) seem heavy in comparison to other bikes in the price range I was looking at. I'd also read the brakes are not very good (again C'dale own brand) but I haven't got any complaints in that department -maybe again, I haven't had really good brakes to compare them to. The saddle is still a work in progress; I think it's uncomfortable but I can't help thinking I should give it some more time before I get another one. We'll see -what one person likes another really dislikes. Summary: I love this bike as it gives me an entry into road riding. For someone more serious, the frame could be an excellent starting point. For me -a casual rider -I really enjoy riding this bike.

various 1980s steel bikes of dubious worth

[Apr 26, 2003]
biker4him

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a Cannondale.

None yet.

I got this bike in September 2002,in 6 months I've put down 1300 miles.The only trouble I've had is with the front derailer,which after several adjustments was corected,and with the stock spd pedals.They realy stunk.Other than that this bike is more than I hoped it would be.I would recomend the R500 to any one.

Trek 2000,Lemond,Trek 1000

[Mar 01, 2003]
Robcob

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame. Cannondale finish. Responsive ride feeling.

Specs but hey, if you need ultegra, buy another bike.

Splendid bike for a out-of-shape rider in the 40s. Not cheap, but very close to "the real thing". Specs may be entry-level, but the feel of the ride is quite remarkable, and the overall quality and finish is great. A bike that you want to spend time with.

Olmo, steel frame, 105. Crescent (Swedish), steel frame 105.

[Oct 15, 2002]
Rob Wilson

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, price.

None to speak of so far.

This is my first ever road and I’m very impressed. It’s got a great CAAD 4 frame, good (not great, but good enough for a beginner) components that I shall be upgrading at a later date and it was well priced. I did have a mountain bike that I used ride on the road but the rides started to become comfortable after about 25-30 miles. With this bike I can do two weekend rides of upto 50miles each with comparative ease. So much so that I’ve already passed 1000 mile mark after 4 months. The ride is smooth, it grips well on corners (great for fast descents) and soaks up uneven road well, although I lucky that the roads around my area are mostly in very good condition. So if you’re looking for an entry level road bike this bike is worth a look.

This is my first raod bike. But did test out a Trek 1200. The cannondale beat it hands down.

[Sep 13, 2002]
jhiebert

OVERALL
Strength:

Good light frame and fork. Great color.."TEAM YELLOW" Rides really well at the price range.

Triple Crank and brakes are coda. You would have thought they could learn. Tiagra is good, but not great.

Good bike at a good price. It's light for what it is, good styling and rides very well. It can keep a line, comfortable to climb and accelerate, smooth enough to tour. At the price, nothing else comes close to this bike.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.