Cannondale R700 Si 2002 Road Bike

[Aug 26, 2012]
Levent Okten

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good geometry , stiff , nimble , fun to ride .

Factory delivered saddle is not very comfortable .

This is a good bike to own for daily usage . I have it for ten years now and i think if cannondale reproduce it again , it is still going to be a more preferable one against same price category bikes .

[Jan 21, 2009]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, Relatively Lightweight, Stiff, Good Mix of Components for an entry level bike

Some riders would consider it too heavy - mine is about 22 pounds with all my extras attached.

This is a great entry level road bike, or a training bike. I bought it in the spring of 2005 to get a feel for the sport, and I'm going to be upgrading soon!

This bike has been great to me - it's stiff, durable, and light enough not to completely kill you on climbs. The only problem I've ever had (in over 6000 miles of riding crappy New England pavement) is a bent rear wheel from when I spaced out and hit a massive pothole sitting in the saddle.

Other than that, if you keep it clean, ride smart, and keep it tuned up yourself or at a LBS, you can expect to get a whole lot of miles on this thing.

Even though I'm upgrading, I plan to hang onto this bike for bad weather, shorter rides, and to keep it set up on my trainer during winter months.

Overall this has been a great investment, and has gotten me totally hooked on the sport and on Cannondale.

Trek, Specialized, Felt entry level rides

[Aug 10, 2006]
rushguy

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs like a monster. Smooth. Great value for a made in the USA bike.

tires, seat, brakes.

Awesome bike that is insanely stiff, yet still provides an acceptable amount of road shock dampening. Good component mix aside from the House branded Tektro brakes.

NONE.

[Apr 14, 2006]
blueridgeridin

OVERALL
Strength:

Great climber, nimble handling, light weight. Overall a great ride, especially for the money. You could spend more...but why?

Mix of Ultegra and 105 components, the seat...it really has to go.

Bought R700 Triple after trying out a bunch of other brands. Bike is stiff and very responsive. Also climbs VERY well (love that "Granny Gear"). Had to have the outer chainring replaced...after a few rides and some shifting problems up front, figured out the chainring was warped. The mix of components works although at some point, I will probably upgrade to all Ultegra. That was the one advantage the Trek 1500 had, but it was made in China and cost $100 more (so I'm cheap!). Patriot Blue paint is gorgeous [not made anymore :(]. Brakes work very well, trust me. I have to agree with other reviewers though, the seat is too soft and I think too wide for me.

Trek, Specialized, Felt, Giant, Raleigh, etc., etc. all in the $1000 - $1500 price range.

[Dec 07, 2005]
Sinclair

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely well made, Cannondale files their welds off, making them much more finished in appearance. It is very light, fast, highly manuverable, climbs extremly well, and does not transmit undue amounts of road vibration.

The brakes seem weak, but I have been riding mountain bikes for some time. I plan on replacing the pads with Kool Stop models. The brake caliper itself seems to work fine. The second time I rode it had a pinch flat about 10 miles out, but nothing since.

I rode 18 different model bikes before buying this one - painted in a charcoal grey with a triple crank. Have ridden it an average of 100-150 miles per week since buying it in September, and am very pleased with it. The seat seems fine to me, unilke the other reviewers. This bike is far above my old Bianchi road bike. The frame is exceptional, and is easily good enough to upgrade with other components if desired.

Trek 2300, 2100, 1500, 1000. Both an Orbea and a Bianchi model that sold for about $1,500, Giant OCR Composite Limited, TCR Limited, OCR 1, 2, 3, Some sort of Specialized, and a couple of models by Felt.

[Sep 01, 2005]
Porcupines93

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame is light and solid. A good base to build from. Double is the way to go.

Tires have betrayed me twice: slipping on a curve and a getting a flat. Saddle is hard to get used to.

Moving from a MTB to this has been a big change. Still getting used to the difference but the bike feels great.

Trek 1500

[Aug 16, 2005]
mdp_az

OVERALL
Strength:

Made in the USA!!! Great aluminum frameset with a forgiving ride...those hourglass seatstays do the trick. Quick acceleration. Ultegra rear derailuer a plus. Very sharp burnt oranage and white color scheme on the 2005 model.

The stock Selle Viper saddle is a joke. I couldn't sit for 2 hours following a 25 mile ride.

I've been a recreational MTB rider for 5 years, and finally decided to get a road bike. The R700 was as smooth (or more) than some of the "new" geometry bikes (i.e. - Trek Pilot) with a rear carbon seat stay, but much more responsive for acceleration and cornering. I prefer the more aggressive geometry and actually found it more comfy than the Pilot, OCR or Roubaix. The craftmanship of the Cannondale was far superior to the other bikes I looked at, and the components were as good or better. The price point is a little higher than some of the competition, but you're paying for quality! As was mentioned previously, the saddle will cause significant discomfort, but otherwise the R700 is a great bike!

Tested a Specialized Allez Elite, Giant TCR2, as well as some of the new geometry bikes like the Trek Pilot, Specialized Roubaix, and Giant OCR.

[Aug 16, 2005]
r700

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff for sprinting but very forgiving on the flats. The Ultegra Rear is a nice touch. The Cannondale Tubeset is very sweet.

Original Saddle was immediately traded, it felt like sitting on a bark-o-lounger. Way to spongey over a long ride. People complain about the brakes but I think they would be fine with some new pads. The Hutchinson Tires are a bit weak but will stay on until they wear out.

Have only got one ride on this machine at 40 mi. Picked it up last weekend and the next day took it out to the Silver Comet Trail in Atlanta, GA. The machine is very sweet. Compared to the Hybrid/Mountain bike I was riding before the R700 smooths out the road nicely where my Aluminum H/M was very very harsh. I think the Slice Carbon Fork, Curved Seat Stays and Carbon Seat Post help. The machine rides along like a Cadilac and seems to have the accelleration of a Mustang. This bike is a sprinters dream.

I test road the Specialized Allez Elite and the Trek 1500. All the same price. The Specialized was a nice bike but felt a little more squirrelly. (might have been the shorter stem on the test ride) The Trek felt pretty good but was not a natural fit for my body for some reason. Plus the bike I test road was a triple. All nice rides and should all be looked at if this is your price point. However, keep in mind...The Cannondale is made in the good ol' U.S. of A.

[May 19, 2004]
Bernard

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff, light frame, but vertically compliant due to shaped stays and Slice carbon fork. Quick and responsive. Superb Campag Hiddenset has required no attention at all. Bonus - topped the frame strength tests on EFBE.DE, the independent German frame testers.

Terrible Coda seat; Coda wheelset, seatpost and stem were notable cost-cutting features. All replaced immediately. Not the cheapest of bikes, but then with Cannondales you are paying for the quality handbuilt frame.

My first aluminium road bike, I was very pleasantly surprised by the compliant ride; those hourglass seatstays really work. Stiff, light frame with no discernible bottom bracket flex. Stock set-up components very average, so replaced most of them. The bike looks stunning in the Team Saeco colour scheme, still receiving compliments two years down the track. This bike has been my training tool for the last 2 years (I'm a recreational XC mountain bike racer), and has been a joy to own.

Foster custom steel Reynolds frame, various generic Taiwanese alloy bikes.

[Sep 03, 2003]
Toby_W

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, light, and I was surprised how comfy the ride was considering the Alu frame and thin tires when I'm used to riding either a full sus mtb or my Thorn Nomad Expedition tourer with fat tires. I'm really pleased with this bike.

It has been mentions already and I like the term 'implement of torture'. They should have left the seat off and used the saved cash to put a better front changer on. Seat post could also be a little better.

I walked into the shop to get a part for my gf and there was this bike hanging up. "Buy me, buy me." I failed misserable to stop myself and finally have a racing bike which I love. Glad I've done a lot of cycling though otherwise I might not have realised that a seat should not leave you feeling like you've been hit in the arse by a charging bull. They were joking when they choose that seat right?

Specialized, and a few other cheaper road bikes. Marin FS Thorn Normad (expedition touring bike)