De Rosa Vega 2002 Road Bike

[Jul 18, 2007]
Kevin

OVERALL
Strength:

No flex. Great up and down the hills.

none.

This was a free replacement for the non carbon Planet that cracked. I had my Vega for four years and the frame broke just above the bb. It was the fastest bike I have ever owned. I still miss it.

Derosa Planet.

[Jul 31, 2003]
kbfore

OVERALL
Strength:

I have my Vega built up the Campy Record with carbon bars, seatpost and cranks and it feels great. It is a great sprint bike and is great on downhills. The intergrated headset give it a smooth feel. My 59 cm bike has a 58 TT for us long and lean riders.

The color is a little flat next to my yellow Planet. The c-40 is a smoother ride, but I would have to sell the wife and kid to buy one.

This is a great frame. I had a De Rosa Planet that cracked and this frame was the replacement for free. I could have gotten another Planet frame, but it would have cost $500 plus. The new Planet has a carbon rear triangle.

This is close to the 2001 Planet. the differences are the integrated headset and the carbon fork that I have included. The headset makes a huge difference. My planet was not an intergrated headset lik

[Oct 30, 2002]
Blake Terry

OVERALL
Strength:

Unique, Workmanship, ride, sprints, climbing- can't say enough positive things about the bike.

None- hey I have had many Columbus steel bikes and I think people tend to be overly romantic and nostalgic when comparing steel to aluminum. Some alu bikes can be harsh- but not this one!

Made decision to purchase the Merak and build up with Campy, then happened upon a super deal on the Vega with Ultegra. When it comes to bikes I have always purchased the top line models (since I always end up upgrading later). However, I no longer race, so I decided to be practical for once in my life- this bike has not let me down. The quality of workmanship is absolutely as good as the Merak- it is astounding and is as good as it gets. The ride is suprisingly supple for aluminum. Not fatiguing at all. It climbs, it sprints, it handles like a dream (exact same tubing angles, etc as the Merak) and Ultegra really does work well. It is a very beautiful bike and I always receive complements from other riders. I also like it because it is relatively rare and unique- no knock against Trek, I just like to be different. I have the compact geometry and bike weight is about 17.5 lbs with speedplays and a San Marco Aspide saddle and Rolf wheels.

Bianchi, Eddy Merckx, Trek