Giant TCR 1 2002 Road Bike

[Apr 07, 2012]
wavecito

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame, light for alu frame. great geometry to climb.

a little dated. but, still worthy bike for the weekend warrior.

Great bike, I just gave mine a revival to beat the road a little. after 3 owners after me the bike returned to my hands and I fell in love with it again! The bike was a little dated with original parts still. I will clean it up and upgrade it again. "climb fest rig even though is not as light as many new bikes" I am and older rider now and heavier too. So, this bike will get me back in shape... lol.

[Aug 28, 2004]
arban79

OVERALL
Strength:

light, stiff, and aero shaped, very cheap. this bike was built for hills

stiff, only 3 frame sizes still cant find a seat im really happy with. under hard climbing the carbon fork can creak, and im not that heavy 160 pounds

i never bother with reveiws, but this site has helped me so many times, i decided to give a little something back i love this bike , it blows away the free road bikes i was riding.

1980 univega, 81 ceturion,(junk) gary fish mnt bike

[Feb 14, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, Stiff BB, Responsive, Comfortable, Affordable

Frame creaks occasionaly, primarily the seattube.

I want to state first that I have ridden a Giant CFR full carbon since '96. When I started my search, I looked for the best value. I was happy with my other Giant, but I wanted to "lose some bike weight". The newer compact design appealed to me and it made for a lightweight frame set-up. When I bought my other bike, at John Cobb's Bicycle Sports, he fit me to that bike and I was very comfortable in that postion. So, when I recieved my the TCR, I set it up with the same measurements. The medium compact frame allows for more stand-over height, which I like when climbing(not as much top tube to get in the way). The TCR weighed in at about 16lbs. It is responsive, quick and seems to climb and descend well. The BB is stiff, so I don't feel like I'm wasting energy in an 'all-out' effort. I'll give it an A+

Started cycling on a '87 Cannondale Criterium w/ mixed Suntour components. So, I now what a rough riding frame feels like!

[Dec 10, 2003]
iceman

OVERALL
Strength:

wheels strong,ultegra flawless operation,strong frame, great looks, lots of admiring looks, ..no creaks on mine, i think a creak would come from the bottom bracket, strip it down and put plumbers tape or anti seize on the threads

frame is a bit long at 55cm, i am 5.8 and its a stretch, might cut down to a smaller stem

strong as...and light

[Sep 28, 2003]
Royal

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is fast and stable. The ultegra components are 100% reliable. The bike is very light for a large. Looks are incredible. Same frame as used by Team ONCE, except theirs is yellow.

The frame is a little on the long side for me and with the long stem makes for a stretch, but nothing that can't be corrected. A shorter stem on this large frame would work on my 5'10" body. The only other weakness is the creaking which is nothing new to giant alum frames. It can be bothersome to some, but when you understand that it is not a problem and just part of the design, it is a non issue. The price you pay for a superlight and strong aluminum frame designed for racing.

I got my TCR 1 in trade. It has been an incredible bike. It has not been tuned in that entire time and I have put over 1800 miles on it and it's still working flawlessly. Excellent construction and workmanship. The frame is light and forgiving for an aluminum frame similar to a steel frame. Might be due to the large frame on my example. No sideways flex, but plenty of give on long rides. The carbon seat post and fork help of course. Very light. Did I mention I weigh 200 lbs. This frame can take my weight and doesn't feel noodly like my steel peugot and lotus did. If you are a big guy, this is the bike for you.

Nishiki, Lotus, Look, Lemond, Peugot

[Jul 29, 2003]
jae-ho

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff and light for sprints and climbs. descents are surprisingly stable but this may be due to a set up for long reach (not that comfortable but make you fast)

harsh ride. cosmos wheelset is a curious choice. ultegra bikes should come with mavic ksyrium elite at least. i think giant cheaped out and spec'd a reliable wheel with mavic name, but not a racing wheel set. bb cups came undone after about 1500 miles. probably an anomally.

Crazy nice deal for what i paid for it. Good deal for reg. price too. compact geometery may not be for everybody but it might be for you. cornering is precise but you may find it a bit "nervous." tiny rear triangle means instantaneous response to pedalling. carbon parts absorb alot of road vibration (especially with nice tires with high tpi) but neither they nor the hard ass frame will take any real road abuse for you eg. bumps and pot holes. full ulregra is spot on. no worries there. wheels are reliable and compliant but not light. some higher quality, stiffer wheels would be better for handling. hutchinson tires are fast and like butter, ie. smooth but soft. shredded mine up in a couple of months.

giant ocr 3. test rode cannondale r400 and r1000. friend's trek 2200.

[Apr 03, 2003]
Anton

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value for money. Light. Good groupset. Nice looks

Very very noisy. Creaks like an old woman's hip. Has taken it into the shop a number of times dues to creaks. The noise worsens on climbing

I liked the compact idea as I'm a short person. It offered good value for money. Would I buy another one??? Well, I probably would save my pennies for a carbon fibre version.

Trek5500 w/ 8 speed campag Avanti w/ 7 speed shimano

[Mar 11, 2003]
cc1702

OVERALL
Strength:

Great paint scheme, light, responsive, good price and compunents.

I searched for over two years before purchasing a bike. The TCR1 was a great looking bike. Once fitted with the correct seat post I was good to go. The bike handles great and to me is quicker when I turn the cranks over more expensive bikes I had tried. Ultegra components, a light bike that looks great and a good value for the money, that is what you get with this bike. The ride is extremely smooth. Carbon seatpost and fork reduce the road vibration you might feel. When I do feel vibration, it is typically due to the road I am on and not the bike. The bike is fast, even though the engine is showing some age.

Trek 5200, Specialized, Lemond, Cannondale

[Dec 23, 2002]
Rik Crouch

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast compact design frame with artistic welds, and with Aero carbon fork and seatpost, very comfortable. Killer looks and sweet paint job.

Sizing is a pain, but worth it when done right. Frame a little noisey, mysterious creaks on occasion.

Love this bike!! Great looks, great feel and light! Purchased stock with full Ultegra, Shimano 535 rims, Huthinson Tires and Look stlye pedals. After getting it sized right it is a very fast, good climbing and comfortable ride. Sizing is a bit tricky, stem at 110mm was way too long, switched out for a Richey Pro 90mm. Also had to swap Aero seatpost. I am 5' 10'' on a medium frame, and the seat post was way short. Giant offers 7 seatpost lengths, but the catch to swapping is they must have "your" post before they send you a different one. This must be done thru your LBS, and if you don't specify "NEW", you will probably recieve a recycled, scratched used post. (This was an annoying process). The stock cassette is set up for racing with an 11x23, I switched to a more versitile 12x25 to help climbing. I also wore out the Hutchinson carbon comp tires that came on the bike in less than 2 months. Replaced with Michelin Axial Carbon 700x20. Once these changes were made, I have put 2000 miles on this gem and I love it. I have done centuries, charity rides and fast group rides on this bike and it behaves well in all conditions. I am quite pleased with this purchase and highly recommend it.

1987 Giant CFR 3 Carbon

[Sep 11, 2002]
ewitz

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, good climbing machine for a great price. Sweet looking paint job.

Stock parts are not sized well. Difficult to get used to the cornering characteristics.

I have ridden the bike for six weeks and about 1800 miles and can say the following. This is a good bike for the price. But the componentry, full Ultegra and Mavic Cosmos wheels, are better than the frame. Whoever sized the stem, bars and seatpost was way off. Make sure that you get sized properly and that the LBS has or orders the appropriate lengths for you. The stem comes in 3 sizes and the seatpost in seven. The bike climbs very well spins good but is twitchy in the corners. Swap the tires for some Axial Pros before you leave the store and this will at least get the bike to stick in the tight corners. Also, coming from a bike with standard geometry it takes a while to get used to the Compact Road Frame.

Specialized M4 Pro, Cannondale CAAD 7