Jamis Comet 2002 Road Bike

[Mar 14, 2006]
drummerboy1248

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall strong performer for the $$$. responds well in all riding situations. Smooth ride for aluminum.

Ugly welds. Short head tube.

This review is for a 2003 model. I bought the frame built up but never ridden and then built it up myself. It's Kinesium with carbon wishbone seatstays. I was a little concerned with what the ride quality would be like. The last aluminum frame I had was Nishiki's first venture into that material in the mid 80's. It was so unforgiving on the slightest bump that I returned to steel until now. I am pleasantly surprised with the ride quality of the Comet. With a Reynolds Ouzo Comp fork, it rides as smooth as the Reynolds 531c bike I was riding. I got the XL size. I am 6'4" and find the frame on the small side, which is the norm for Jamis. The head tube is extremely short for an XL. This made the drops a long reach down and put me too far forward of the pedals. Of course, knee pain accompanied the poor positioning. After raising the stem and flipping it over to get more rise I was able to slide the seat back and achieve a proper riding position. Since then, I am really enjoying this bike. It doesn't do anything exceptionally well. It is just a real solid ride that is good at whatever you throw at it. It sprints decent, climbs well, is good at long rides yet no one performance area dominates on this bike. The welds are a little ugly as they are not smoothed down, and the white paint requires quite a bit of attention to keep clean but is a very nice lookiing bike.

Steel and aluminum Nishiki's, Lemond, Patarek, Gios

[Nov 08, 2003]
FSVS

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff and responsive.

Frame only purcahse of 2003 Comet.This bike rides extermely well, climbs great and corners better than I anticapated. Sprinting is fantastic! After riding the bike for 2 weeks, decided to race it and I managed to out sprint the field by a couple bike lengths for a victory.

Cannondale, ICE Carbon Hammer

[Sep 18, 2002]
bob Johnson

OVERALL
Strength:

swell components and Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels are good

squirmish at high speeds but still very controlable

This bike rocks as far as I can tell. I have only had it for 3 months but it is great. It's my first road bike so I can't really compare it to anyhting but it works great for me. Its made me a faster mtn. bike rider. It climbs great and accelerates even better.

[Jun 20, 2002]
Aussmax

OVERALL
Strength:

Great components. Great Looks and finish. The frame is truly high quality with 7000 series aluminum.

Handling is quick, but perhaps a little nervous at speed (see above).

Amazing value for money. Really sweet looking bike with great components. Light and fast. The Jamis Comet is a true joy to ride. Its stiff, but with its carbon (fiberglass!) seatpost and carbon fork, the ride is smooth. The Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels are light, but strong (I've already been dumped badly by a pot-hole - the wheels held up great)