Jamis Quest 2002 Road Bike

[Jul 31, 2011]
falseicon

OVERALL
Strength:

Supple steel, outstanding construction, fairly light, overall feel is superb. Finally - sexy, classic look ... cause it ain't how fast you get there some days, it's how good you look whilst doing so.

Stock headset was poor, but not much else.

I can't really say enough about this frame (bought as frame and stock fork only), it's one of the most versatile bikes I've ever owned. I've climbed (and descended) passes, commuted to work, bought groceries, and trained on this bike with passion. And while I can't speak for the Quest as it's manufactured today (10 years later) I can assure you, if you're looking at one of these chrome beauties ... BUY IT.

Mostly Felt, but all the usual suspects.

[Jul 12, 2003]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

Parts selection, color

Ritchey v3 pro pedals. These pedals came with the bike and are spd-r. Don't ride with this pedal! I couldn't get my foot out of the pedal. After destroying my cleat trying to get it out, I took the bike back to Performance and they gave me Look PP247 pedals. They said that the pedals were to be replaced if users had a problem with them. These pedals are down right dangerous. I think they should have been replaced proactively, instead of reactively. The Looks I got are sweet though. Perfect. I won't consider this Jamis` fault. I place the blame squarely on Ritchey.

This bike is sweet! All name brand parts, unlike the big name bike manufacturers. I don't think there is another bike out there with these features at this price. I don't think there is one thing I would change, except the pedals which were warrantied (see below). This bike rides like a dream.

[Nov 13, 2002]
kweichsel

OVERALL
Strength:

VALUE, i'd give it 6 chilis if I could. Shimano 105 components, mavic wheels, smooth steel frame, carbon fork. comfortable geometry on long rides.

stock saddle, pedals, worthless generic owner's manual

I had to hold myself back from reviewing this as soon as I bought it in May, so hopefully these comments still apply to the 2003 model. The 2002 Quest is a dream to ride (after replacing the saddle): light, smooth, and quick. Admittedly, this is my first road bike so that is compared to my old Trek 700 hybrid, which I did 3 too many centuries on before getting this great bike. Major selling points: steel frame and carbon fork eat up cracks and small bumps. The faster you go, the better this seems to work. I've gone right over several large potholes, and the wheels are still true. Full Shimano 105 components - something few other bikes in this price range offer. Mavic hubs seem to have no friction at all. "ergo bend" drop bars offer a comfy little bump for your palm to rest on. Rear eyelets for touring. Overall durability, I'm even impressed with the bar tape. Plus, killer looks. On this summer's MS150 tour, people kept commenting on what a beautiful bike it is. Pictures don't do it justice. plus, the mechanics couldn't believe it was a stock setup. cons: can be hard to find. Stock saddle gave me pain in the first 10 minutes of the test ride, replaced it with a Serfas and everything is good now. Cheesy SPD pedals can be hard to get into after stopping. I've scratched them up so much the finish on the face is worn off already, but they're not the heart of a bike. I'm also a little concerned with the degree of "flex" in the seatstay and chainstays when inserting the rear wheel, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. Great job, Jamis!

first road bike: also considered Trek 2000 and 2200.

[Nov 06, 2002]
Dan S

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent build quality, good component group, smooth "steel is real" ride. Chrome finish is somewhat unique.

While I like the chrome finish, it is not flawless (minor pits and other visual imperfections are visible if you look close enough).

In this price range, the Jamis is hard to beat. I looked at the Lemond line but didn't notice enough difference to account for the increased price. As someone else noted, the Jamis is VERY close to the Lemond in geometry. The Cannondale's I tried were nicely built (excellent actually) but even their well-tuned aluminum frame didn't seem to match the ride quality of the steel Jamis (at least in this price range). The Quest has a solid component group and is a "no frills" option that does what is supposed to do. After a summer of fun, I am still happy with my decision.

Trek, Cannondale, Lemond.

[Apr 18, 2002]
longlegs

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel Frame and decent price, and nice components. A fancier bike would be nice but the Jamis can keep up with titanium, aluminum, and carbon no problem.

The chrome finish could be better.

I just love the Jamis Quest. Such a comfortable fide compared to the aluminum Trek I rode last year, though the Trek was sweet,just too harsh for this late 40"s guy. The steel frame,inexpensive carbon fork and nice Mavic wheels make for an excellent bike for the $. The relaxed seat angle and long wheel base is similar to a Lemond and makes for a comfortable ride.

[Dec 30, 2001]
RichBrat

OVERALL
Strength:

Value

Not a racing bike by any stretch of the imagination

This has to be the best Mid-level beginer road bike I''ve ever seen. The Cro-Mo frame givs it a very forgiving ride while still keeping the wait down, the 105 group set is absoluty my favorite for someone gettiing thier first road bike and the Mav. Cosmos whells are a nice finishing touch to a great bike. Plus at around $1300, this bike is a killer value.

Giant line, rest of the Jamis line, Treks

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.