Jamis Ventura 2002 Road Bike

[Dec 19, 2008]
Bob

OVERALL

The frame is solid, offering a solid kick back as you ride. The fancy paint job that no doubt adds a hundred dollars or so to the price of the product is already chipped in countless spots. Every part of the bike, minus the frame, have given me problems since I started riding it less than 3 months ago. The geometry of the frame puts too much pressure on the back end, causing exhausting rides on flat pavement. Aerodynamics are non-existent, leaving you begging for mercy on long hauls. I do not recommend buying this over-priced piece of crap.

[Feb 25, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel, baby. My bones cannot endure much clankity-clank, and steel is the lower-cost way to go. If you are looking for overall value and performance from a road bike, I would consider most any of the bicycles in the Jamis line.

Those darn Tektro brakes. I lightly sanded the pads and rims, adjusted them and they worked a little better, but ultimately I will replace them with a better quality brake. The Henderson tires were sticky but of low quality, and were replaced immediately. The same Henderson back tire on my boyfriend's 2002 Jamis Ventura had a sidewall blowout after only about 100 miles, so beware.

The Ventura is my first new road bike, and what a find! It cruises and climbs very well, endures all kinds of road conditions, and maintains its comfortable ride all the while. I had tried may other bikes before purchasing the Ventura, and while this isn't fancy, high-dollar, carbon/titanium road candy, the ride is well worth my student budget dollars.

An old Centurian Le Mans road bike with down-tube shifters; 1999 Rocky Mountain Edge, and a 1996 Gary Fisher Mamba.

[Feb 02, 2004]
drewpeterson

OVERALL
Strength:

The steel frame is awesome. I have always wanted a steel frame since my other two bikes are aluminum. The ride is supple, comfortable and a pleasure to ride. The Tiagra components work well and the bar is nice.

The tires are not durable and should be replaced. Also the saddle is very uncomfortable for long rides. I replaced it with a more ergonomic saddle that is nice. Also I put on some Speedplay pedals.

This bike is an excellent value and very comfortable. I got it at Performance at a huge sale have already ridden 750 miles in just over a month. For the money and real world value it cannot be beat. The frame (59 cm) fits me like a glove.

I own a Cannondale CAAD 4 bike and Giant Cadex.

[Sep 14, 2003]
tmotz

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame so far has been stiff considering my 220+ lb.body.

So far the only real problem has been the rear wheel,one broken spoke and the rim is toast.Thing about getting different tires after a few hundred miles.

The bike is a entry level model but is light and very responive.Good welds and good paint finish.

Various mountain bikes,Mid 80s Fuji

[May 05, 2003]
johnsrinx

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a beautiful bike, I like the Blue and White colors. The Shimano Tiagra 27 setup is middle range, The shifting is smooth and I have not encountered any problems.

So far I have not found any

I just got this bike and have put about 30 miles on it. It is very lightweight and fast. I am replacing a Schwinn Super Sport that I've been riding for 20 years. I am 220 pounds and was looking for a steel frame bike with quality components. For the price this bike could not be beat! The ride is smoother than my old bike. I attribute that to the carbon forks.

1984 Schwinn Super Sport

[Sep 18, 2002]
Neil

OVERALL
Strength:

Value, good middle of the road components. Nice frame, comfortable for the long ride.

None for the price

I am returning to riding after a 15 year absence and needed a bike. After swallowing my pride (and realizing I did not need the best) I bought the Jamis. This bike (after much research) was an excellent value for the money. I had budgeted around $1,000 to spend, and ended up with this, plus the Jamis Dakar mountain bike, which is an excellent value as well. The Jamis is a decent spec'd bike and rides very well. I will most likely upgrade to a higher end bike next year and may even consider another Jamis. For the money spent, I have no complaints at all! Both bikes are very nice and well worth the money.

A very OLD Lotus ledgend, various Treks.

[Jul 09, 2002]
marimba_artist

OVERALL
Strength:

Supple ride due to steel frame. For price, good component spec. Killer looks (I'm partial to the red 2001 model).

Tires, pedals. I replaced the pedals almost immediately with rat traps. Then, once I could afford read clipless pedals (not the Wellgo junk), I bought some used Looks on eBay. The Hutchinson Excel tires, in my opinion, are not safe. Put down the $80 and replace them with Michelin Axial Pro or Continental Ultra 2000. Dissapointed in brakes too.

I own the 2001 model, but it is very similar to the 2002 edition. I picked this bike over others in the price range because of the comfortable ride of the cro-mo frame. Comparable priced aluminum bikes rode very harshly. I've ridden 1700 miles so far and will ride this bike in RAGBRAI later this month.

Raleigh R700, Fuji Roubaix.