K2 Bike Mod 4.0 2002 Road Bike

[Jan 01, 2004]
Herb Schewe

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful paintjob; wonderful carbon fork and seat stays; excellent Ultegra components; handsome Mavic wheelset.

Only one: If the Mod 4.0 is this good, I just gotta get the 5.0 someday!

Only recently have I gotten somewhat serious about biking. (I didn't even know what carbon did for the bike.) I purchased the 2003 K2 Mod 4.0, and it's been gangbusters ever since. Weather permitting, I regularly do a fifty-six-mile loop of Sierraville, California, and the Mod 4.0 just eats it up. Though the ride is relatively flat, there's plenty of rough road edge, cracks, bumps and the like, and the carbon front and bike, not to mention the carbon where the saddle is attached, make for a smooth, reliable ride. The Ultegra equipment is first-rate, slick and dependable, and the shifting is a true pleasure. The Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels are gorgeous, strong and light. With K2 bikes, it seems that, the more money you pay, the better the paint job is. The black/silver/yellow combination makes for a very handsome bike, and I plan to get yellow-striped tires soon. One flashy bike! I'm looking forward to doing my first century soon, and this is truly a great bike on which to do it.

[Jul 08, 2002]
Kent Earle

OVERALL
Strength:

ride quality, power transfer, components, wheels (Mavic Cosmic Elite)

Only 3 sizes, Longish top tube in the large frame

This bike has an amazing ride. I have to admit, I never thought I would buy a K2 road bike. But it was in my price range with the Ultegra set up I was looking for. I test rode a Cannondale 1000SI, Lemond Zurick and Trek 5200. In the end, it was the K2 that had the best combination of stiff bottom bracket for excellent power to the pedals as well as a compliant ride over the rough stuff. Every time I hit a bad stretch of road I smile at the way the carbon fiber fork and seatstays absorb the impacts even with 110 pounds in my tires. AMAZING! I usually upgrade my components, but there is nothing to upgrade on this bike. I did spend some time dialing in my position, and my only complaint would be the top tube is a bit long in the Large frame. 58 cm on the Large (57 frame). I would have, in hind sight, prefered a 57cm top tube, but this bike has racing in mind and this bike will stretch you out very aerodynamic. The only thing I changed is the seat and stem. I went with a Selle Italia Trans Am Pro-Link saddle for it's center relief cut-out (I'm paranoid). And for set up purposes, I shortened my stem from the stock 120mm 10 degree, to a Thomson 100mm 17 degree. This improved my position on the bike, when I'm on the hoods, the bar obscures the front hub. Other than that, this bike has needed no tune up, everything is perfect, and I love this bike. It may not have the litespeed or merlin name, but I can't imagine a better riding bike and for the money, you can't beat this deal. I hardily recommend it.

Lemond Zurich, Cannondale 1000

[May 11, 2002]
Love2Tri

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon Fiber seat stay takes away the one disadvantage that I have seen before in Aluminum bikes (unforgiving ride).

None noted so far

Amazing bike for the money. All quality components and a very smooth, quick, responsive yet forgiving ride. Everything that is stock on this bike is quality. Unlike most other bikes that I''ve found which are under 2K, nothing needs to be replaced after buying the bike. This bike is an amazing and responsive ride. I rode it after I had almost decided to buy the Litespeed Sienna; but quickly changed my mind after riding the Mod 4.0. The only reason for the 4.0 overall rating is that I also rode the Mod 5.0; and it is a superior bike. For what you get for the money, however, I think that the Mod 4.0 is the best deal around (the Mod 5.0 retails for $3300, a little out of my price range).

Litespeed Sienna