K2 Bike Mod 5.0 2002 Road Bike

[Mar 17, 2003]
MrFurlow guess

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, comfort on long rides, price, components, road feel and shock absorption, Price

I'm not to wild about the blue/silver/white color combo. Sometimes it feels like a Dallas Cowboys bike...and I hate Football!

This is the best bike I've ever had! Originally I thought this bike would be too small, or too stiff, or even too light. But, none of these fears materialized. This bike is the perfect combination of all the characteristics a competitive rider looks for in a bike. Firstly, the fit is fabulous. Naturally it's smaller than most bikes which makes it easier to whip around a corner. I'm all over this bike and I've got room to spare. Next, this is the smoothest riding (non-steel) bike I've ever owned. Smoother than all-carbon and not as clunky as all-aluminum. Okay it's light, but not stupid-light...stable and light. This bike is light enough to ride the bumps and not bounce you off of them like some carbon or aluminum frames I've owned. The value is the best thing about this bike. I was able to sell my old bike (Trek 5900superlight)and a set of spinergys to buy this one (complete with ksyriums) and still have a few bucks left over.

Trek 5900 Trek 5500 Colnago Dream Colnago Tecnos Specialized M4 Trek 5200 Trek 1200 Panasonic GX 5000 Panasonic Track

[Jun 18, 2002]
RodQ

OVERALL
Strength:

Materials and components that are included as a frameset or whole bike.Ride quality.

Stem size, frame and possibly whole bike comes with stems that may be too long for most. My team mate got a large frame and I got a medium and we both needed a shorter stem. They seem to run one size too big.

Got this as a frameset (frame, fork, headset and stem) and built it up using Campy Record components from another bike. I've always been apprehensive about the fit and ride quality of a compact frame but this bike proved my fears very wrong. I absolutely love it. The bike is light, responsive, comfortable and fits like a glove. It feels great doing anything out of the saddle whether that is climbing or sprinting, you certainly don't loose much of the power transfer. The carbon rear helps soak up the road vibration and really helps on rough roads. I can certainly tell the difference between this and my previous Aluminum frame. The Columbus all carbon Carve fork makes the handling very stable and predictable not to mention the beautiful lines on it. I have a feeling that the carbon rear is also made by Columbus but have not been able to get this confirmed. I've pushed the bike on some of the faster bumpier descents in my area and gotten it to about 50 mph while feeling stable and like I can push it some more. Owning (or having owned) a Colnago, Casati, Mondonico, Marinoni and Bianchi, this is by far the cheapest frame I've ever owned but yet it is an absolute great bike for racing and training. The craftsmanship on the bike rivals that of some that cost a lot more and what is included as the frameset is certainly top notch (Cane Creek headset, 3T Zepp XL Stem, Columbus fork). Somehow the spec for the Mod. 5.0 on this site indicates that it is made from Columbus Zonal but that is incorrect since it is Altec 2. Go to the K2 site for more info on the frame or complete bike.

Casati Monza, Colnago Master-X-Light, Mondonico Diamon Extra, Marinoni Piuma....

[Jun 13, 2002]
j

OVERALL
Strength:

Spec, ride

It's not a Colnago, but you could buy two of these for the same $'s

The spec is incredible on this bike -- Ksyrium SL's, 3T bar/stem, CT2 post, Dura Ace, Open Corsa's, SLR seat. The frame and fork (Columbus tubing and Columbus Carve fork) ride very well. It's a carbon ride (absorbs road noise) w/ the light weight of alum. I looked at and road several high-end Italian frames and the ride quality of this frame was indistinguishable from frames costing twice as much. Although tubing is Columbus, it's welded in Taiwan (says so on the box).

LeMond Maillot Juane, Dura-Ace.

[May 18, 2002]
swankmotee

OVERALL
Strength:

What can you say about a Columbus Altec 2/ carbon frame and Carve fork?!? That''s as good a spec as the Italian stuff. Overall specs are perfect and performance of components is spot on! It''s also one of sexiest bikes we sell at our shop which is backed up by all the glaring looks the customers give it! Excellent bang for the buck.

None, at least I haven''t found any yet!

I work in a bike shop where I have the pick of the litter on high-end custom frames and have ridden many types and styles. This bike which I purchased stock,out of the box is as good as any of the current customs! You can''t beat the incredible power transfer of the frameset for climbing hills, it just doesn''t get any better in my mind. Stability at speed is super confident especially in the corners and the feel of the carbon seatstay/seatpost is super plush, much better than I expected! My bike is an XS with the stock components and is perfect in it''s spec. The Du-you-race rig is excellent and the ksyriums rule! Also love the fit and finish of the bike,it looks as good as it rides! I can''t think of a nicer Aluminum/Carbon model for the price and am extremely pleased with K2''s attention to details, I really can ride faster with more confidence! I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Merlin,Litespeed,Pegoretti,Carrera,Colnago,Pinnarello,Olmo,Cinelli,Jackson,Marin,Trek,Klein,ect........

[Mar 03, 2002]
Roadwing1

OVERALL
Strength:

Light!!! Quick turns, great fit. Solid feel. Head tube and bottom bracket are stiff.

Carbon fork and rear stays needed their brake pivot holes drilled out better to allow installation of Cane Creek calipers. No starnut provided for fork installation.

Absolutely great deal of a high-end frame. Similar build to many of the Columbus Carve/Airplane-tubed bikes showing up. At $588, you get a carbon-rear aluminum frame (2.5 lbs.), Carve 1/18" fork, Cane Creek headset, Forge stem.

Softride Roadwing, Schwinn Super Sport (''95 &''99)

[Mar 03, 2002]
jamount

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, Responsive, Turns on a Dime. Too many to list; great priced bike for any type of rider; especially crit monkeys (like myself)

crosswinds take a little getting used to; especially when running ksyriums

1st experience of bike with carbon rear-stay. Absolutely amazing ride. Cuts through turns like a blade, very responsive and very fast. Plus carbon rearstay offers forgiving ride. Full Carbon Carve fork also provides for a noticeable improvement in riding comfort. This bike is a Rocket; sprints out of turns in a crit, and can climb well too.

Giant TCR Team, Giant TCR-2. Not as light as the TCR Frame, but the extremely light Carve Fork makes up for the weight difference.