LeMond Bicycles Buenos Aires 2002 Road Bike

[Jul 18, 2020]
2002BA

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought the Lemond Buenos Aries (853) Red as pictured new in 2002, factory equipped, I'm still riding it several days a week. I've got close to 50,000 miles on it, original bottom bracket, cranks, fork, left shifter, seat post, fork, and frame paint Red. Great smooth, fast, stable ride. I run Continental GatorSkins for flat protection.

First to go was the rear wheel built to light for me, all drive side spoke holes cracked with in a year, shop did a bad rebuild, reusing spokes on a different rim, it fell apart on in 20 mile, Front wheel is still good. Replaced with Mavic Kysrium SL UST light fast changed entire ride, 2 cracked rims and one internal hub failure on the rear wheels, took couple of months for warrant work. Replaced those with White Industry Hubs, Sapim Spokes, on Velocity Deep V rims, fast an reliable wheels. Replaced Right shifter. Replace head set with Chris King, Replace saddle several times. Currently running Fabric Elite Line. Replace chain rings and cassette a couple times. Replaced bar and stem for comfort, I still have original. Put on 3T SuperGo, with specialized stem. Add Gel pads to bar.

Price Paid:
2002
[Oct 31, 2009]
george kraushaar

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably light weight
Smooth ride that will keep you happy hour after hour.

Toe overlap takes some getting used to

I traded by old too big frame DeRosa for this bike because it fit me perfectly and the bike was in much newer condition than the DeRosa. The bike is pretty stock except for the Salsa stem and the titanium railed Specialized saddle I brough along from the old bike. This bike is a 51cm (I'm 5'8") and fits me well except that I needed a longer stem. The bike isn't all out fast like my Orbea Starship, but it's so comfortable that you could ride it forever. All the parts work well. I could use a compact crank because I live in the mountains, but this bike seems to be pretty efficient at climbing anything within reason (unfortunately some of our hills around here are not within reason. Some of my personal observations are that the fork is pretty stiff feeling and the ride quality through the handlebars can be a little buzzy. Through the saddle, though, the ride is pure pleasure. My bike only weighs 20 lbs; it's pretty light for a steel bike.

DeRosa Giro d'Italia
Gunnar Roadie
Waterford Paramount

[Jul 20, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability, value

weight, saddle, pedals.

I've had this bike for a little over two years and I've got a lot of miles on it--mostly climbs in western North Carolina. Overall, a very good bike. Feels solid on descents, corners well, the Ultegra components are great and the wheels did pretty well. The main drawback is weight--the 853 frame isn't setting any weight records, and it shows on the climbs. On the good side, the ride quality is great--what you'd expect from old-school steel. If weight is your key criterion, don't buy this bike. If you want a great feeling, stable bike with nice components, this could be your bike. I ditched the saddle and pedals almost immediately and have never regretted either decision. The rear wheel lasted for about 1 year of hard riding and the front lasted about 2 years. I recently replaced them with Ksyrium SL's which completely changed the bike. This shaved over 1 lb of rolling weight. It is now a MUCH quicker bike and climbs much better.

Jamis Quest, Lemond Buenos Aires, various Cannondales, Puegeot Triathalon, various Treks.

[Jan 20, 2004]
Mike Moloney

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, stable, predictable ride. Wonderfully finished welds and paint for a mass produced bike.

Stock fork is way too heavy.

This is a follow up review on a Lemond BA I purchased in January 2003. The bike is now one year old, and as I have changed as a cyclist, so has my BA. Over time I replaced many of the stock components (sse below)including the saddle (now a Selle Italia SLR), the seatpost (now an Easton EC-90), the handlebars Easton EC-90), and I dumped the Bontrager Selects for Race Lites. The 105 chain and cassette are now Dura Ace, with Vredstein Tricomps replacing the stock Continental 2000's. Pedals are Speedplay X-2's. The bike is now more race ready, and the overall weight is down from over 21 lbs to around 19. Will replace stock fork soon to bring weight down to near 18 Lbs. Overall, this bike is a good ride made better by swapping stock components. The 853 frame is top notch.

[Jan 07, 2004]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything, rims are excellent for racing

Rims not good for heavy riders on long exceptionally long rides.

I rode this bike accross Canada. Yes over 8000Km. Get this bike if you can. In the 80 days I had it, nothing went wrong. Ok one spoke broke, I am a thick 200lbs.

[Sep 29, 2003]
ridgetopbike

OVERALL
Strength:

BEAUTIFUL bike. Frame details, paint, everything. Ultegra can't be beat. Wheels are awesome, no need to change until race day.

Toe overlap with front wheel. Oh well I can deal with it. Stock fork a little heavy but very smooth riding

Extremely sweet ride. Frame details you would never expect from a large company. It handles confidently and does not beat me up. 55cm frame for my 5'11" fits well. My 140lb weight doesn't work with Alum bikes built to support Mr. 200 lbs. No matter though, this frame is just as fast and light as any alum in the price range. Also...crashed hard into a post once, bent fork and busted headset, stock wheel and rest of bike were fine. Good mark of quality.

Cannondale R600, Kona Dr. Dew commuter

[Aug 26, 2003]
Gijs de Boer

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, comfortable, great value.

Seat...Somewhat heavy.

I've been riding this bike for about a year and have enjoyed it thoroughly. It's not the lightest bike on the market, but is great for training. I regularly go out for 50-60 mile rides and rode this bike in the 120 mile Horribly Hilly Hundred+. I have found that the comfort level of this set up makes longer rides very enjoyable. I agree with others that the seat is horrible, and switched it out before I even took the bike out of the store. One other thing to note is that I am 6'4" and 205 lbs, and don't have any real problems with bend, with the possible exception being wheel/fork bend when I'm out of the saddle. I tested this bike against a Bianchi Vigorelli, which had essentially the same set ride with an extra $150 added to the price tag. All in all a very nice bike.

[Jul 18, 2003]
Craig Gendler

OVERALL
Strength:

Silky smooth ride--it sucks up the bumps. Ultegra shifts and brakes like a dream.

Seat is mediocre and heavy. The bars are rather wide, and feels a bit odd, but seems to facilitate deep breathing by spreading out my chest. I am getting used to them quickly. Wheelset is Bontrager Select, and is a bit heavy, but is still great bang for the buck.

I have had only one other bike, and have ridden it extensively for the past 20 years. It was custom built in England by a small shop--C.A. Roberts--outside of London, and was all Reynolds 531 real steel. I am 49, and aluminum, even with carbon fork, beats me up too badly. The BA is equal in performance to my old Roberts. A new Roberts frame prices out at several hundred dollars more than I paid for the BA. I like the steel feel and control better than any other material, including carbon and ti. The BA is an incredible bike and and incredible value.

C.A Roberts custom steel Reynolds frame w/ mish mash of Dura Ace, Ultrega, Cinelli,and Campy

[May 14, 2003]
a toolbox

OVERALL
Strength:

853 steel frame, carbon fork and Ultegra? Can't go wrong.

Haven't found any.

This bike has become a best friend to me. It's outstanding ride characteristics let you know you're in control. Cornering is predictable and smooth. Ultegra group is a no-brainer, works like a charm. Bontrager wheelsets are light and durable. Reynolds 853 steel frame is plenty stiff in the bottom bracket area while sucking up most of the road vibration. The Icon carbon fork complements this frame perfectly.

[Apr 13, 2003]
HB

OVERALL
Strength:

Ulterga components, Carbon forks, Great ride.

None so far.

I have used it on 2 century rides and it has performed great. I have done 60 mile training rides and enjoy the bike, but the century rides really tested the saddle and the steel frame ride.