LeMond Bicycles Nevada City 2002 Road Bike

[Nov 09, 2011]
mrpants

OVERALL
Strength:

wide tire clearance, good paint, clean looking, great ride!

Plain frame, no fancy at all. big weakness is that made by Trek roumer.

Old steel frames like this will be highly sought in 100years. Bought only frameset, used. Its straight in alignment, not too heavy, strong, has a good tang to it, Watch for cracks, suposed to crack on the water bottle mounts. Mine has been perfect, I put some 10 speed campy stuff on this frame. Its solid, no opinion on junky stock parts, Just wanted an 853 ride. I still seem to like my crooked oversized columbus thoron framed univega most though. Best thing is it corners so much better than the carbon bike I was using. Stole all the parts and now I got a carbon frame that is a POS just nockin around the garage I am thinkin hybrid junk wagon for that one. This frame and steel fork from 2002 is just lovely in my opinion. 56 cm frame for a 5'11

10 yeas rider, Surly1x1, Old steel Diamondback, old Schwinn, supersport 1972, Super Letour 1980, GT outpost, Univega Modolovolare, Raleigh Prestige, Specialized stumpy FSR, Fixed generic, 2 heavy weight cruisers.

[Jan 18, 2005]
Elvis

OVERALL
Strength:

853 is Reynolds top tubeset, and this frame rides like it. 700x25c tires are more forgiving than 23s. Geometry is perfect. Classic steel frame look. Great subdued paint job. Nice comfy San Marco saddle is an update of an older design, retro enough to fit the bike but don't fear the rain; it isn't leather like the old ones.

Sora can't shift from the drops [but how often do I need to do that?!], and the bike did not come with clipless pedals.

This 2002 model uses Reynolds 853 tubing. I had long wanted a classic steel bike liek the 2nd hand ones I grew up with; narrow tubes, that special ride quality. But without the rust and "can i still get a wheel with that spacing" worry that comes with riding old or second hand bikes regularly. In short, I wanted a new old-style bike. But the Lemond was all that and more. Originally known for their narrow steel tubing and unique ride, Lemond -- named for the famous racer, whose "signature" adorns the bike -- has recently made aluminum frames and, indeed, only carries High end steel now. The Nevada City was their entry-entry-level bike, the cheapest -- but with a nice frame and quality to match. The paint job, a subtly metalic grey/silver, is perfect, with a clear coat you can practically see. The end of the top tube, by the seat cluster, bears Greg Lemond's "signature", and the headbadge is unique and colorful [in the cycling world, "racing stripes" are multicolored] without being tacky. Similarly multi-colored bands edge the seat and downtube decals with "lemond" on them. The bike rides as good as it looks -- oddly enough, better than I expected. Hey, Sora is cheap-cheap if dependable, and not a hot-ticket item -- but ridign this bike I felt like a kid again. I had just come out of surgery -- still had stitches in my shoulder, in fact -- but taking Synder Ave I got up to nearly 35mph. For a guy nealry ridign one-handed you'd think it was hairy, but the bike was totally stable. The 'Vada is comfortable at crusing speeds of 30mph, or just cruising around the backroads at 15 mph. Unlike some modern designs it doesn't push you to immitate a racer; but if you wanna bomb down that hill at speeds approaching 40mph, it'll take it. Climbing is easy; the slogan "a ride like no other" is truly what it is. I climbed a hill I have trouble with on other bikes when standing -- sitting down. Okay, the triple really helped out in this department, but the truth is, the frame geometry is an all-around winner. Just like the bike. In fact, except for the Sora and lack of stock clipless pedals I could find no fault in it. But then, Sora makes possible the tripel chainring and keeprs the price low. And it is easy to operate -- this coming from a guy who grew up on Suntour downtube friction shifters! And unlike most entry-levels, it had decent rims, which will save lotsa money over the long haul -- which this machine appears built for. In my mind, discontinuing the entry level steel frames, including the Nevada City, was the worst thing Lemond could do. Sure it has techy bikes that are part Ti and part carbon, but Steel is still Real.

Various refurbished and secondhand bikes; '01 Trek XO1.

[Apr 14, 2004]
majortom

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel is Real! 24 pounds of comfort, very durable, great stock saddle, nice thumb shifters, good bike for centuries, touring, etc.

None, It maybe heavy, but you wouldn't buy a bike like this for racing anyway.

A great comfortable ride, as soon as I test rode it, the bike was calling my name ! A no brainer, very durable and steady, nice and quiet, easy shifting, I did put on speedplay pedals and clip on aerobars for about a dozen triathlons. It is heavy for racing but if you provide the motor it will keep up with the lightweights. I will replace this bike with a quicker lighter one for tris and group riding but I know I'm going to miss it alot.

My old mountain bike, This was my first real road bike,

[May 13, 2003]
wittwer43

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful color scheme on the '01, great ride, good value, no mechanical problems. The welds are very well finished; they don't show. I wish I had time to ride it more often.

The Sora triple shifting was iffy but adequate (see below). If you ride a lot, you may tire of the Sora gear real fast. In the future, I will not go below Shimano 105 STI shifters, worth the extra money. The stock seat was poor, but I was too lazy to replace it until it began to disintegrate along the lower edges after about a year. Not the bikes problem, but mine: I got a frame (57 cm) that is slightly too large for me. Also, the stem was too long and the dealer wouldn't swap it out so I had to buy a new one.

The bike is a 2001 model, midnight blue & white, very pretty, & generates positive comments from other riders. I don't care for the color schemes of subsequent years. The steel frame is responsive, quiet, & quick enough for the style of riding that I do; I like to go fast, but I do not race. I have over 1,200 miles on it without a tune-up or problems except as noted below. I am happy I got it & have enjoyed riding it enormously.

I test-rode Cannondales, carbon-fiber, and titanium-framed bikes. I considered the rides on all of them too harsh, & the bikes too expensive (I have to admit that one carbon-fiber bike, a Talon, was t

[Dec 23, 2002]
Tom McRoy

OVERALL
Strength:

nice frame, sweet paint job, flight deck shifters, nice rims...fast, fast, fast

the sora rear derailleurs look kinda chintsy and they are a pain to fine tune...the bike is a tad on the heavy side too...

I like this bike alot...Im not really to keen on the sora components but they will do for now....I use this as my "fun" bike and commute on a gary fisher with slicks....overall, i like the retro/subdued aesthetics of the bike and the bikes well natured road manners....

none....i own a gary fisher and a shogun touring bike but neither can compare...

[Nov 17, 2002]
Welshboy

OVERALL
Strength:

Stylish appearance. Geometry. Functional winter bike.

Slightly heavy. UK spec is lower. Why?

I bought mine a few months back as a winter bike and got a good deal from Pearsons although the spec here in the UK is a bit poor (Reynolds 520 instead of the 853 Designer Select you enjoy in the US). As I prefer Campag I've dumped the Shimano triple and put on a Daytona groupset but with an old Chorus chainset and cheap wheels for the winter Mirage hubs on Ambrosio rims (£70 from Oldham Cycle Centre). Mudguards went on very easily and it will take 23c tyres with guards no problems. It's a good looking bike and slightly retro in appearance. Looks aside, there is something about the geometry of this bike that feels good and the relaxed seat tube angle really does work as advertised because climbing whilst seated feels so much more efficient. I'm delighted with it and would consider one from further up the range as my Sunday best bike for 2003.

Custom made steel winter bike (not as good). Aluminium winter bike (too harsh)

[Nov 12, 2002]
brian

OVERALL
Strength:

triple, reynolds 853 steel

sucky pedals, crappy hubs

great beginning bike for training as a mt. bike racer. good price, worth every penny as far as i'm concerned.

looked at other bikes of similar level, they cost more

[Sep 16, 2002]
StevieP

OVERALL
Strength:

Reynolds tubes at this price Triple chainset 3T stem & bars

'No name' hubs & black spokes 'No name' brake calipers

I wanted a winter trainer/commter so as not to 'spoil' my Colnago. This Le Mond caught my eye, not least as I am a steel fan, but also because I could fit mudguards. I am very happy with the bike. It feels lively, despite its weight, and the spec is very good for the price I paid (I saved £150 on retail). I woill probably upgrade the brakes to 105 (from the no name calipers that come with it). I am not sure I could live with it as my 'best bike' but as a winter trainer/commuter it is excellent, especially at the discounted price I found.

[Aug 31, 2002]
dan barnes

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth ride, good brakes, I have been able to hang with a 20 mph group with not much difficulty.

need to upgrade pedals to the clips.

This is my first road bike. I really enjoy the bike. I have no experience with the high end bikes so I really don't have anything to compare it to...OK maybe my mountain bike, but it's a great ride. I'm looking to upgrade already.

[Jul 17, 2002]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride, great shifting, acurate braking.

Apparently its not as quick as some of the higher end bikes from what I'm told.

I Just got this bike. I am a diehard Mountain biker, but decided to up my cardio and blow away my mates on the hills. I looked and tried a few bikes including cannondales, treks etc. I really gravitated to this one. It has a smooth ride having the steel frame and all. And the size fit well. I am 5'5" so I needed something with a reletively small top tube. Its very comfortable. The store is telling me I will upgrade in a few, but for a started road biker its doing great so far. Of cource front and back shocks would be nice...he he..

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.