LeMond Bicycles Zurich 2002 Road Bike

[Nov 05, 2016]
Muirenn

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, well handling but stable.

Bought one off Craigslist 2 years ago as a back-up bike to my Pinarello Quattro. I've ended up using it as a commuter. Smooth and fast. It carries my modern Revelate frame bags no problem, which work well to
Carry work clothing and everything else I want to bring to work. The bike reminds me of the Schwann Le Tour I grew up on (Chicago$, but much quicker-handling and lighter. The only changes I made were stem, bar-tape, seatpost, and a new cassette and chain. The old, full ultegra drivetrain works
Perfectly.

Scjeinn Le Tour.

[Apr 13, 2009]
zurich rider

OVERALL
Strength:

All steel very little flex but still great road feel. Corners. Fast technical downhills.

Saddle had to go. Conti gp 3000 subject to punctures replaced with vredestien fortezza se problem solved

This bike is still incredible. I have raced it and done many miles of training. It has been solid and flawless. Tested many bikes (20+) this was the standout, and is still to this day

Litespeed. Cervello. Giant

[Dec 31, 2008]
keesue

OVERALL
Strength:

The great ride of 853 Pro Steel. Strong bike. I am a large rider and it stands up to me when I get out of the saddle and hammer on it. The flex that other riders cite is do to the cranks flexing into the front deraileur. I adjusted it and that issue was resolved. Also, the wheels have performed flawlessly. These predate the quality problems many experienced in '03 with the Bontragers. I considered upgrading to save some weight but never did. The wheels are perfectly true after all these years. The bike is a solid performer.

The seat had to go. I went with the Terry Fly for four years and upgraded to a Specialized Alias when they came out. I ditched the seat post for a Thomson and changed the bars to suit my hands.

I thought I'd add my .02 to this review chain. Despite the passage of time, every time I ride my Zurich, I seem to appreciate it more. I bought the bike in September '02 and it has served me well. It has performed flawlessly over the years, requiring only the normal chain and cassette replacement. I have commuted on it, ridden it in centuries and cruised on it with my friends. I don't regret this purchase. It has its own stand. :-)

None. First road bike.

[Aug 12, 2007]
Blue Sugar

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride, stable handling. Fast if you tempo it. Comes with rack and fender mounts. A high end tubeset for an ordinary price.

Bottom bracket flexes under hard pedalling, bars wobble in high-speed turns.

I bought the frameset only, after it had been sitting in the shop for a few years, and got a very good price on it. After three months and about 1000 miles I can say I'm ready to comment on it. This frame is a great way to get a high-end steel tubeset at a reasonable price, and it has rack and fender mounts like all frames should (but very few do anymore). The workmanship (paint and welding) are good for a mass-produced bike, but nowhere near what you'd get with a hand-build. The great things about this bike are the smooth ride and stable handling. I can run higher tire pressures for faster rolling, and still have acceptable ride. The 853 steel, combined with the longish wheelbase, make for a very comfortable ride. The not-so-great thing is the frame flex. The smooth ride comes at a price. Steel is known to flex a bit, and this bike is no exception. Hard pedalling will flex the bottom bracket and rob you of energy. You can still go fast on the bike, you just need to tempo it, rather than thrash out hard accelerations. And fast cornering can set up a top tube flex that causes a pronounced wobble in the bars. This is something you can cure, in part, by grabbing the top tube with your knees, but you need to be ready for it. It surprised the hell out of me the first time it happend, nearly putting me into a guardrail. The geometry is geared toward the open road, not the tight confines of a crit course. Very stable, but a little bit slow to turn. This is a great bike for long rides on rough roads, but would not be ideal for racing (although you could certainly race it). Put on a rack or some fenders, and head out for the day- that's what this bike does best.

Cannondale CAAD 3, 2007 Trek Madone.

[May 20, 2006]
soulcoughing

OVERALL
Strength:

It is absolutely. rock. solid. It does exactly what it ought to, when it ought to. I've never had a moment when I thought it felt squirrely, it has always been where I wanted it to be. It feels as smooth and comfortable at mile 90 as it did at mile 5. It looks like a bike ought to look.

It could have been lighter, but only if LeMond had made it out of something else (like the Spine) and then it wouldn't be the bike that it is. If I needed lighter, I still have room to work on it myself.

I rolled through 15,000 miles on this bike a few weeks ago. I bought it as something to supplement mountain biking, but it has turned into the more used, more consuming passion. I still love this bike. People still comment about how nice looking it is. I wouldn't mind having a hot new carbon super-bike, but I'm not sure I'd part with this one to get it.

I have ridden on other bikes, but nothing that I have used similarly.

[Aug 23, 2005]
McFreeFly

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike for recreational riding and everything in between. Steel is very resilient and doesn't beat the crap out of me like some aluminum frames can. An overall great buy and package for anyone looking to get into cycling on the more serious side without having to spend more than $2500 for a bike that will perform just as well as the Zurich.

General strengths aside there is one main weakness to this bike and that is the saddle. The stock saddle is pretty stiff and one should consider getting a replacement. The headset along with the saddle could/should be the first and maybe only upgrades to this bike. I've had the headset adjusted twice, first time was too loose and now it is too tight, go figure. Seatpost, well, just get a Thompson and forget about it. One consideration, not a weakness, is the top tube length. I do feel a bit stretched out at times and may end up getting a slightly shorter stem in an effort to save the lower back for longer rides. As for recently, I have noticed some flex happening somewhere in the BB or possibly in the cranks, or maybe both. Anytime I get out of the saddle or sent the cadence there tends to be some chain rub against the F-der. Might just be an adjustment issue, but like I said, it rubs when I get out of the saddle or just really tourque the cranks. If this is an actual BB flexing issue, then perhaps this is the only weakness that a rider cannot fix. Just something to consider if someone decides to race on this frame.

With more experience on the bike I've come to realize that it is a great all around bike for anyone looking to ride recreationaly or perhaps even race. Although there are a few things to consider, which aren't necessarily weaknesses.

Trek 2300 all aluminum

[Aug 25, 2003]
rmw223

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride characteristics are super, predicable stable handling, great climber

Frame weighs more that other high end rides - I did make some significant upgrades (light wheelset/cranks/pedals) to make it lighter. Ironically, this only highlights all the more, the great 853 Reynolds frame tubing.

I have put this bike through the paces for the last year and a half. This bike is a pleasure to ride. It tracks spot on. The frame is stiff, yet compliant and provides a great "road feel" without beating up the rider. It climbs like a rocket and is super stable descending. The bike comes to life when pushed hard and snaps to accelerate when you put the pedals down. Steel isn't flashy or the lightest ride in town, but the overall ride characteristics and handling more than well make up for an extra 16 oz of frame weight. What I've noticed is that as my fitness has improved over this year riders in my group on their beautiful (very expresive) Ti, Carbon, and Italian steads are spending more time on my wheel than vice versa. And think, you could purchase two and a half Zurichs for the price of one of those other bikes I alluded to. If your in the market, give this bike a serious look and test ride, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old C'dale (my hands/feet are still numb), Trek carbon

[Jun 06, 2003]
Jacob Hedberg

OVERALL
Strength:

Speed, turning, and of course the Ultegra componants. Some like Dura Ace better, but in my opinion the only reason you'd want Dura Ace is because it is lighter, the Ultegra seems like smoother shifting overall for me. If the Zurich even smells a hill, it'll accelerate like you won't imagine. I'm a speed freak, and I love this bike.

Stiff handling on rougher roads, but that's what you gotta expect with a nice road bike.

Beautiful piece of cycling equipment. I've been riding for a long time and I've never riden such a beautiful bike. It handles like a dream and goes FAST. Overall the one problem I'd have is how choppy it can be when going really fast on a rough road, but what can you expect when riding a road bike? You just lean a little bit into your turn and you can feel the Zurich snap around. It is wonderful.

Trek 1000, Trek 2000, Trek 5500, Lemond Bueno Aries, Lemond Mairlotte Juane, etc.

[Mar 14, 2003]
papado

OVERALL
Strength:

The Ride, handling, cornering, climbing, etc... Alot of stuff for the money!

Have not found any

Have had a zurich since 1998(red). Previous to that I had carbon and al. frames, the zurich 853 is much above them. I can't say enough about the quality and ride. It may be slightly heavier that the other two materials mentioned, but nothing compares to 853. I just sold my 1998 and purchased a 2003 model, they just keep getting better!

cannondale and trek's

[Feb 09, 2003]
Johnny5

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride/Look/Name >>> 10/10

None so far (and hopefully it will stay that way), but if you want to add aero bars, you can't - the center of the XL bar is too XL for a aero bar to fit.

Awesome Bike! Could have gotten a pro deal on a KHS flite 2000 w/ ultegra, but was sold on the Lemond because of the ride, the looks, and it's a freak'n Lemond.

a schwinn & a huffy (I was eight!)

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.