Look KG 361 2002 Road Bike

[Dec 22, 2019]
pctri64

OVERALL
Strength:

The must beautiful bike I ever had, still my favorite after 18 years of use.

Just have to change the seat post. After crack the original in carbon, Look inform this size 25mm diameter is no longer fabricated. Finally I found a similar in aluminum and works perfectly.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2002
[Feb 08, 2008]
Jeremy

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon is just as great as they say it is!

The bike shop replaced my fork (after a women in a car hit me) with a fork that has a 40 degree rake (even after I requested a 45 rake fork) and it radicly changed the way it handels. Making the bike much more twitchy. I much prefer the handeling of a 45 degree rake, so now I'm on the hunt for a good LOOK fork with a much better 45 rake. Other than that its perfict.

I was very suprised that I got a High quality Carbon bike at this price. I was the only bidder! This bike has been a complete joy the entire time I have owned it. I wouldn't ever trade it for anything Steel or Aluminum.

Lotus, Bianchi Aloro (lugged steel with Campy Mirage), Orbea Ultrafoco Carbon (Steel with Campy Centaur),

[Jun 13, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, HM CARBON, Forgiving ride, Beautiful bright Team Colors in very rare Team Kelme Edition. The best road bike I have owned so far. Get a LOOK and you'll Love it!

The LOOK Carbon Seatpost started to crack after a few months fo use. I don't know if this was my fault or not, but these can be very expensive to replace. Also the seatpost binder mecanisem is very hard to find if you just happen to strip it like I did.

WOW! I bought this bike because my last bike (Orbea Ultrafoco Carbon) Got stolen. I didn't have any high hopes but was thuroghly amased at how wonderfully it rode. I now think that it is better than my prevoius Orbea. I know that LOOK was good but I bought it for the Team paint job. I plan on racing it when ever possable. I get coments like "nice bike" on a regular basis where ever I go. The Ebay seller said that the bike was $2700 new and I belive it.

1997 Bianchi Aloro(Campy Mirage), 2003 Orbea Ultrafoco Carbon(Campy Centaur), 2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp(105), 1980's Lotus(Shimano Exage), 1980's Centuriun LeMans

[Jul 09, 2003]
clocktyre

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort and feel, responsiveness, love the geometry, weight, beautiful to look at, and not that expensive!

Possibly high speed descents. Other than that, nothing!

The best bike I've owned. The ride quality is amazing, you can feel the road beneath you but you can also do an 80 mile ride and feel pretty good. Handling is very sharp and assured. You notice the light weight when climbing and I really appreciate it. Some people claim carbon is 'dead' and 'lifeless' but I can't say that's been my experience. It doesn't quite have the 'life' of a good steel frame, but then it weighs less and is more comfortable. Still it has feel! My Canondale was just too stiff by far and I weigh 192 lbs. Great for sprinting but the ride quality was appalling on bad (UK) roads. The only slight gripe I have is descents - it feels a little ropey to me at over 45mph. Haven't worked out if that's flex or fear, but it's not a big issue in any event. If you're 250lbs or a professional (not a weekend racer, I do that on this bike), this probably isn't your bike. Otherwise, take a look.

custom 531 frame, Canondale R1000, Litespeed Capella, Trek OCLV.

[Jul 02, 2003]
superhossenpheffer

OVERALL
Strength:

beautiful seams, all carbon very responsive and smooth on the road much less bumpy (I thought) than aluminum comfortable on longer rides (80-100 miles)

not a super light (15 pounder)

I truly love this frame. I searched and searched for something that felt comfortable over long rides, climbed great, and was stiff enough for my 190 pounds in sprints. This bike does all of the above well. Not quite as light (about 18 pounds loaded) as the 381i but I felt the ride was almost identical, so I went with this frame. Also, road Colnago's, Trek and Kestrel before deciding on the Look. I really could tell a difference in response and it didn't feel nearly as bumpy as the aluminum frames. Seamless design is just gorgeous too, and the CSC matte is low key but very beautiful. Honestly, I am so happy with this frame that I have stopped searching for "just the right" bike.

[Jun 02, 2003]
jesusbiker

OVERALL
Strength:

- vibration damping - bang for the buck

25.0 post leaves you with few choices, but once you have a good post (try the USE alien carbon) when are you ever going to switch?

First thing I noticed was how smoothly this bike rides over rough roads. Very compliant, but stiff stiff enough to respond when you want it to. In fact, despite some other reviewers stating that it is not good for sprints, I must point out that I have won 2 field sprints in the past month on this bike, and one was for the State Championships... so I find it plenty stiff enough for me. All around a great bike that damps enough vibration to keep thing comfortable on 6 hour rides (especially ones that end with a sprint!)

LOOK KG381i, Willier Galibier, Merlin road (the old standard), Litespeed Ultimate, custom Reynolds 853 steel frame

[Jan 24, 2003]
orange_julius

OVERALL
Strength:

Great value for the money, good absorption without the weight penalty of most steel, and well-tested classical geometry.

Frame hard to find in the US, I had to go to another state just to get one. It's on the heavy side compared to other carbon fiber frames. Some nonstandard components but how often do you swap components?

After researching and testing various aluminum, steel and carbon fiber frames, I finally settled on the LOOK KG 361. The Lemon Zurich is promising, and gives a nice lively feel and good absorption, but is too heavy and feels sluggish. The Giant TCR One is light and zippy, but uncomfortable and unsure on fast descents. The Kestrel Talon has a nice overall feel but I hated the riding position. The KG 361 gives a ride similar to steel but is lighter. The classical geometry gives a more sure handling character on descents. It's heavy for a carbon fiber frame, and one should think of it more as a lightweight steel bike since it's very different from a monocoque carbon fiber bike. In short, this is a great deal for the price, and has a nice combination of features and feels which I like.

Trek AL, Lemond steel, Giant TCR AL.

[Dec 18, 2002]
wladcumk

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful carbon frame, Very comfortable geometry, Very affordable price.

Not really a weakness but you can make it much lighter buy changing a fork.

This is my first carbon bike after riding a steel frame for two years. For the first ride, I could feel its stiffness yet it’s very smooth. The weight is acceptable light; great climbing but still considered a bit heavy compared to other carbon frames (Colnago C-40,… such as). Handing is also great, very responsive. I agreed with others that this bike is not for sprinters (but it’s not that bad….really) but for ones who love riding and ride for a long period. If you enjoy riding, Look KG 361 is the one to get. The price is much lower in the market now. Search Internet for it, find your size and buy one…or two.

[Aug 27, 2002]
onrhodes

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably light. Price is affordable for carbon fiber. LOOONNGG Race heritage. Not many of them around. Soaks up the road, very lively feeling. Replaceable hanger

honestly? None that I can really think of at this point.

Absolute beautiful bike to build up. All the surfaces were faced and it just went together quite nicely. Coming from racing an aluminum bike for the past 3 years, it is nice to be back on carbon fiber again. This bike floats over the roads and carves corners like you would not believe. Without trying to sound cliche, this bike wants to be ridden fast. I have a 49cm frame, and there is no way I am going to flex this thing. My first ride was a 20 mile test run to see how my build went together. Day two was an 85 mile ride that left me feeling much fresher then my aluminum bike ever would have

Giant TCR, Aegis Carbon Fiber, Paramount, Litespeed,Cannondale

[Aug 05, 2002]
Velo Llama

OVERALL
Strength:

Absolute comfort and diversity. This is a bike that can do it all, and do it with the best of them. Stiff, very responsive, and lacking that "dead wood" feeling that is sometimes associated with carbon fiber.

The 25mm seat post is a bit ackward, but hardly a weakness.

This may not be the lightest bike one could buy. It may not be the fastest accelerating. It may not be the flashyest, and it may not have the electric feel of steel. But, while the KG361 may not be the absolute best in any single category it is in the TOPS of most ALL categories. As one other reviewer mentioned, if you are a sprinter this bike is not really for you. But if you enjoy riding and ride a lot, the Look KG361 will definitely not disappoint you. It is stiff (suprisingly so for carbon), very responsive, light, and extremely comfortable. If you allow it to, it will literally let the pavement melt beneath you while simultaneously allowing you to feel the subtleties of the road. My other bikes are aluminum, and I shopped around a lot before going with the KG361. The only other frames out there that could possibly top this ride cash in at close to double the price.

Trek 5500, various reynolds 531 frames, Cannondale R4000, Litespeed Classic, Merckx Team SC