Look KG 386 2002 Road Bike

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 16, 2018]
    arctic fox

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rides super nicely, fast, and is stiff. Your power translates straight into the wheels. This is my first real road bike and it felt right from the beginning. On top of that the frame looks so smooth, beautiful lines.

Little heavy and unstable in sketchy downhills.

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    2003
    [Nov 24, 2005]
    mdopps

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooth and tight as a baby's butt, yet absorbs bumbs like they are not there.

Extremely sensitive on down hill. Without lots of experience I would not suggest going 60mph+ downhill on this bike.

I have taken this bike on long rides and short rides. Its extremely fast and extremely comfortable. I didnt know the rear shot on my mountain bike was going bad until I road this bike in a century ride. Between the laid back design and short wheel base you have lots of sock absorbing and more control than most bikes. The stiffness is amazingly like steel yup peppy like titanium. I have ridden many carbon bikes and this is the only one that I cant tell its carbon in a tight, and curvy criterium races. I have never won a race on any other bike. Normally I wouldnt use a carbon frame in a race, but this is deffinately an exception to the rule.

Trek OCLV Madone, Litespeed, Merlin, and KHS

[Oct 17, 2003]
    ewong

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff yet damp. Smooooth as water on glass

Well its damp - it doenst flex - but sometimes it feels like it is (it isnt). soo smooth its gotta be flexing all over the place - it isnt. pure magic.

Coming from an ancient Cannondale was an eye opener. Bikes have changed in 20 years... This bike was "fitted" to me - that probably makes more of a difference than anything else. The frame is both super stiff and "damp". It rides like it was floating on glass. It doesnt like out of the saddle jumping - it wont "ping" like my Cannondale did. But then again - It doesnt vibrate me on the downhills. Climbing is far better - BUT it feels "boring" that way. Its too "comfortable". I dont feel faster - I feel slower - but the clock does not lie. The first few pedal strokes out of the saddle has the sensation that hte rear triangle has turned to mush. YOu accelerate - it just doenst give you that same NOW sensation. But after 2-3 turns the frame "unwinds" ins power back into you - smoothly. I find I have to change my jump from a stand up to a seated jump. Much more stealthy...

Previous bike was a circa 1983 Cannondale racing bike - Modolo/Specailized/Suntour Subperbe Pro

[Jan 16, 2003]
    Greg Simpson

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, light responsive and comfortable. Very well engineered and finished. Cables well routed through and around the frame.

Little twitchy on downhill - but controllable.

Having ridden a 60cm aluminum frame for 5 years this 59 cm 386 carbon frame is a revelation by comparison. It is lighter, stiffer and rides better. The response of this bike is phenomenal. When over the bar on a hill, it accelerates so quickly that I either have to shift up or sit down. The one area I notice its sensitivity is that it's trail is a little less - so downhill, whilst stable, it is a little more twitchy than my previous frame. Finish is excellent (2002 model). I use a 3M clear plastic film (used by motor cyclists) to protect leading edges. Works well. No bottom bracket flex - I weigh 86kg.

This is my first carbon fibre frame so difficult to compare - I looked seriously at Trek but the sizing fell between my ideal requirement.

[Sep 18, 2002]
    26jdm

OVERALL
    Strength:

Powerful, dampening framset. Great road feel and acceleration. Reasonable pricing for a pro level frame, ask Kelme.

Maybe a shade heavy, but more stable than a c40 4mm allen bolts on adjustable dropout

As a former competitive cyclist I struggled to find a comfortable bike that fit. The KG 386 with it's TT is perfect. Short legs, long torso for a road riding position were no problem on my 55cm. I totally disagree with Fippet. I am a heavier rider with very powerful strokes and I can't flex that BB, period. This bike is great for a heavier rider who wants response, comfort, and a reasonable weight. I have never felt flexiness in the steerer tube of the HSC3, but I tend to finess the front of the bike. I would suggest to Fippet that he get his position dialed in by his LBC.

Trek 5500, Colnago C40, Calfee, Aegis, Cannondale, Merlin, Litespeed, Kestrel

[Sep 05, 2002]
    Arthuralda

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easy to ride, Aero, Nice feel, Cool looking, Corners well and tracks well, Fairly light.

The flat paint is hard to take care of. Rear Drop-out Adjustment screws are too small.

The KG 386 feels great. The first thing that I noticed riding a demo and then my own bike was that my acceleration was better than before. I'm definitely faster on the Look. Compared to my other carbon frame I do feel a little more of the road but it's not bad. I don't find the fork and steerer tube any more flexy than other similar components and I don't feel any bottom bracket flex. Overall the KG 386 is a solid ride with a nice snappy feel and a geometry that's user friendly.

Trek 5000 W/Reynolds Pro Fork.

[Aug 14, 2002]
    sceniak

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light (3.8lbs frame and fork) versatile frame that is good for time trials or racing. Santiago Botero finished 4th overall in the Tour de France on this frame.

The fork steerer tube flexes during sprinting.

This frame is light and aerodynamic. It climbs and descends well. Counter to "fippet" I find that the bottom bracket is impossible to flex. Maybe it's his pedals or legs that are giving him trouble. The sizing is non-standard (a 51cm is actually 53cm c-c) and this is explained on www.lookcycles.com.

Bianchi

[Aug 04, 2002]
    fippet

OVERALL
    Strength:

great for long easy rides,beautiful smooth ride

the look HSC-3 fork reacts like a wet noodle when you slam,also bottom bracket very flexy! flat silver paint a real problem.It chips so easily,and looks cheesy!

size isnt everything!51cm frame has a 53,5 top tube, what a reach!had to use an85mm stem to compensate.when I bought the frame it was only available in silver and orange! my second mistake!The bike rode beautiful my first few months of spinning after a six year layoff .Season started,it was finally time for my 170lb body to put it into high gear,what a disappointment.I was always fond of the final sprint on our tuesday/thursday night slam fest,When I got off the seat to sprint the fork was all over the place and it felt as if the cranks were giving way.It was the bottom bracket flexing under stress.I would not recommend this bike to anyone with weight issues.

kestral talon,very stiff/fast and nice!!!

[Jun 28, 2002]
    Kuo Hwang

OVERALL
    Strength:

Easily adjust to fit any rider with egro stem.

Paint chips easily on the frame, had ridden the bike for about 200 miles, already had 2 chips.....

Nice and light compare to my prior carbon fiber bike (Look kg196), no flex noted with rapid acceleration. With look's egro stem and seat post, very easy to adjust to fit my riding style.

Look KG 196

[Jun 05, 2002]
    bapkan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff Nice geometry Absorbs bumps and rough road surfaces vibrations Really nice feeling fork Fairly stable

Not the lightest carbon fiber frame out there I'm suspicious of the front dr. cable going trough the frame. I guess we'll never get any sort of pump pegs on carbon bikes, will we.y

Along with being a very pretty bike, this feels like a rocket. At 190-200lbs I don't feel any give in the bottom bracket and I have done some pretty hard out of the saddle sprints. It does a good job of absorbing the shock of bumps and rough roads w/o really giving up on stiffness. I can feel the pedal strokes going straight to the propulsion of the bike. Don't know how carbon fiber does this balancing act but, I love it. My first bike w/"aheadset" and I'm still playing w/ the bar/stem height (which I notice a lot of people are doing once I started paying attention. Better to cut long and work your way down than to keep buying new forks every couple of months). The frame is not the lightest there is. I was really looking hard at the Calfee frames at the same time. However, when I found out I'd need special spacer kits and the like to use my campy bottom bracket and cranks, I started to get a little leary. Be aware that the down and top tubes are triangle shaped while the seat tube is sort of teardrop shaped. A quick plug: Excel was very patient with my calling back on a daily basis and double checking various measurments on the frame. I'd use them again if the opportunity arose.h

TVT built Lemond carbon fiber(flexy as a noodle) Basso Gap Univega Competizione‡