Merlin Metalworks Inc. Agilis 2002 Road Bike

[Sep 01, 2017]
Amy Conroy

OVERALL
Strength:

not many, the Agilis never hit top speed descending compared to my Bridgestone RB1, it rolls good on the flats but that's because of the Spinergy wheels. Old school cool but not a great bike to ride.

Sucks climbing, a slug. I noticed it the first time I rode the bike

Totally enamored with the Merlin Titanium bikes so sprung for the Agilis frame ultegra etc. Noticed DAY1 it was a pig. My RB 1 climbed and descended way faster, and kept riding it for 2 years after I bought the Merlin, but I have suffered riding it and hoping one day I would like it all these years because it was such an expensive bike.But I don't.

[Mar 30, 2013]
Brailrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Balanced, quick, climbs, descends, not something you see every day.

Afraid its going to get stolen, probably a little to nice for me. Seems a little "twitchy" now and again.

I posted a wanted ad on craigslist hoping for a CAAD 8 frame set for 600 ish, but wound up with one of these.
I rode a Aluminum frame forever and didn't know what I was missing until I picked up this frame set. It it fairly vertically compliant but those 7/8ths Ti chain stays keep the BB right where it needs to be. It isn't much lighter than my Aluminum frame but the ride is night and day. It soaks up road noise much better than straight Alu. The welds are flawless. Really just enjoy riding it. Would personally take it over any carbon frame set I've ever rode (3). The toe overlap on mine is relatively good for a smaller frame, Way better than my Surly, and marginally better than my Trek. I guess if I had to find a gripe it would be the TT seems a little long for the bike? I just run a zero offset seat post and a 90mm stem (possibly contributing to the twitchiness) and its good to go. Body position is aggressive, but not hands by your ankles knees hitting your chin aggressive. I feel confident taking it for short sprints, hard climbs and centuries. Anyways, love it, would do it again, and those curved seat stays are sexy.

Trek 1200 (6500 ultegra) Surly cross check (ultegra 105 mix)

[Dec 07, 2003]
FSTLMSTR

OVERALL
Strength:

LOOKS, COMFORT, CLIMBING, SPRINTING AND VALUE. WITH THIS FRAME YOU TRULY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WHICH IS A RARITY THESE DAYS.

NONE, EXCEPT MERLIN SHOULD HAVE MACHINED THE HEAD TUBE TO ACCEPT A CHRIS KING HEADSET.

THIS IS THE BEST FRAME I HAVE EVER HAD. I USED TO HAVE A MERLIN ROAD. THE FIRST TIME I ROAD THIS COMPACT FRAME I NOTICED A NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE COMPARED TO MY OLD MERLIN. I USED TO HAVE LOWER BACK DISCOMFORT ON LONG RIDES, NOT ANYMORE. NOT EVEN A HINT OF DISCOMFORT. THE WELDS AND LOOKS OF THIS FRAME ARE PURE ARTWORK. MERLIN HAS THE BEST WELDERS IN THE BUSINESS. IT CLIMBS AND SPRINTS LIKE MAGIC, I PLAN ON RIDING THIS FRAME TILL I DIE.

MERLIN ROAD AND KESTREL 200 SCI(WHICH IS ANOTHER GREAT BIKE).

[Mar 15, 2003]
agilis

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality of contruction, climbing ability, nimble. Lifetime quarantee from Merlin!

NONE

Merlin is cycling art! I tried out all the ti & carbon bikes out there and chose the Merlin. PERFECT welds, perfect geometry, and their compact design is the best I've ridden. Climbs like a dream and really gets away from you on descents! You can feel the bike accellerate underneath you when you mash the pedals. It's just a beautiful thing. If you know bikes, than you know Merlin is a pioneer, and their craftsmanship is unmatched. Get a Merlin and you have a bike for life! FIVE STARS!

GT Aluminum, Trek carbon

[Jan 10, 2003]
Capn Crunch

OVERALL
Strength:

Silky smooth ride. Stiff where it needs to be. Excellent build quality and finish.

I absolutely love this bike! It does it all well (climbing, descending, crits)and you rarely have to wash it! My wife told me I could get any frame I wanted, and this is the bike I chose. I happen to like the looks of compact frames (and no, I don't mtn. bike). I had a very stiff aluminum bike before this, and I was amazed at how stiff, yet comfortable, the Agilis is. Good job Merlin!

Giant, Bianchi, Eddy Merckx, Cannondale, Specialized, Trek

[Oct 23, 2002]
Sunny_days_on_the_bike

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality is awesome, the finish on this frame is just perfect. It is stiff, and comfortable. It looks really neat on the HED's. It handles incredibly well, and it is relaxing to ride. The compact frame is kind of neat, at least, once you get used to it. The Merlin badge is a neat bit of detail. The gear cable adjusters are beautifully machined, as is the 6AL drop outs. Okay, the real deal? - I will never buy another bike. This exceeds my expectations in every way. Ti is the only way to fly, and Merlin is the top of the heap.

Headset. Whoever the marketing guy is who thought this little gem up deserves punishment by Rap music or MASH reruns. I've adjusted the bearing weekly. I think this design is flawed; what was wrong with the old style cup design? A headset bearing should last forever, "easy replacement" is a gimmick. Merlin, go back to the old style. Unfortunately, everyone is using it now, so there's little choice in the matter.

The Merlin is a funny looking bike, the compact design makes it look like a mountain bike; but, it sure has grown on me. It climbs really well, and it feels taut, with no squirm in the bottom bracket. It descends really well, it's stable, and confidence inspiring - changing line halfway through a corner is easy, and predictable. I chose a 43mm rake fork (Reynolds, what else??), and I use a carbon bladed seatpost; so it's smooth and really comfortable. I've equipped it with Rolf wheels (mucho mileage and no drama's at all, contrary to all the rumours I've heard), for my training rides; and for race day I've got a set of HEDS. For the record, I could borrow Lance's TT bike and still be slow on race day - LOL!! I run the highly under-rated Ultegra groupset. This bike is just awesome, it's far better than anything I've ever owned before. I "downgraded" after totalling my Pinarello - but, honestly, the Merlin is a much better bike in every respect other than weight and snob value. I don't notice the extra weight at all, and in truth, the Melin is a significantly better climber. You'll notice below that I rate the value for money very high, reasoning is that even though it costs some, you keep it forever so the dollar per use is actually lower.

I've owned other roadies (Pinarello, Cannondale, Mongoose (hey, that bike rocked!)), but none of them compare in all aspects. The Merlin is so much better, I can't adequately describe it. The Pinarell

[Aug 21, 2002]
jgupton

OVERALL
Strength:

The quality including the welds, geometry, stiffness at the BB, etc. etc., etc.

I honestly can't find any yet.

What can I say? This bike is awesome! It is perfectly stiff, light and compliant. The thing descends like a rocket, and is incredibly stable. The geometry is spot on.

GT aluminum, Strong Foco

[Mar 11, 2002]
thatsmybush

OVERALL
Strength:

Quick, responsive, everything it says it is.

I only have one.

This bike is much better than I deserve. One day I am afraid that I will wake and she will have left me for someone that can really cater to her needs. Speed, agility, climbing at speeds greater than passing joggers.

Trek, Giant, Cannondale

[Dec 04, 2001]
jwolff

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. Beautiful to look at (I love the looks of compact frames). Not expensive when compared to other Ti (Completely built with parts from LBS for $3300).

Getting used to the ride when I first bought the bike. This weakness goes away after a few rides. Also, toe overlap seems to be severe. I have never noticed it this extreme on other road bikes. When sitting at a red light be careful when starting cause I almost ate it the first couple times since my toe would wedge against the front wheel if the back of the tire was turned to the clipped in side.

When I first got on it the bike felt a little quick underneath me. Going into corners, standing for sprints, the bike just felt like it was always ahead of me. But after a few rides I got used to the feel and found that I now enjoy that. I can bomb corners and choose a line that allows me to duck under (inside) people. Climbs great. Comfortable for centuries. The only thing that was sore after the century were my legs. The compact frame with a long (American Classic) titanium post allows for lots of absorption of the road shock. I think it is more the long post sticking out than the frame but the Ti frame must contribute some. Full Dura Ace of course works flawlessly and the Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork is great. Now I just need to replace those darn heavy Spinergy Rev X''s I have on it and the bike will be 16lbs. It is 18.0lbs as is.

Kestrel 500Sci(2000), Zipp 2001(1997), Trek 2300(1995), Specialized Allez Epic(1990). Plus 7 years as a wrench in LBS riding inventory demo bikes for 30-50 miles each (So I could highlight the good po

[Nov 23, 2001]
Jorzef

OVERALL
Strength:

It climbs. It corners. It descends with ease. It even sprints. All with a smooth, comfrotable ride.

Some may say price, but if you consider the cost over the long run, quality titanium is a bargain. I''ll tell you what I think about this bike in ten years.

While I''m not the most sensitive rider--I used to ride whatever bicycle was available without complaint--I do feel that the frame is stiff: I cannot get the chain to rub on the front derailleur during hard efforts such as sprinting in a big gear or climbing steep grades. I also feel it handles well: I did a criterium with the Agilis right out of the box and it helped me to corner with confidence. It also let me hammer off the front and sprint for the line. The only thing that let me down were my legs (I came closer than ever, though.) It is also comfortable on long rides. A 90km ride in the mountains over roads sometimes less than ideal did not leave me sore. And although it let me choose my line effortlessly on tight, twisty descents, it was also stable on fast downhill runs over 70kph (having a wife and child, I''m a conservative descender.) IMHO, this is a great bike for anybody.

Panasonic OCR (raced for two years.) De Rosa SLX (which I''ve had for nine years and sometimes still ride.) Waterford 2200.