Pegoretti Cicli Duende 2002 Road Bike

The Duende features Dedacciai tubing configured in Pegoretti's Low Torsion Profile geometry. LTP is aided by chain stays that are horizontally eliptical where they join the bottom bracket, vertically elliptical in their mid section, then round where they join forged dropouts. The result is a bike that climbs and accelerates with a more solid feel.

• Frame Weight: 3.08 lb.
  • Fork Weight: 1.4 lb.
  • Sizes: 50-62cm center to center

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 12, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff solid feel, nimble handling, good on climbs, sprints, and comfortable too. Also, an incredible paint job!

It's a bit heavier than a lot of bikes out there right now, but this bike just feels so solid and fast that you just don't notice the extra weight. Currently it's at 20 lbs but If I wanted to spend an extra grand I'm sure I could shave 2 lbs off, which would't be bad for a 58 cm bike.

I've owned many bikes and have tried many different frame materials and I recently decided to come back to a steel frame. I looked at custom builders and stock steel frames and ultimately chose the 2006 Duende. All I can say is that this is the most solid steel frame I have ever ridden. I can't imagine how stiff the Marcelo or the Big Leg Emma are, and I'm not a small guy (215 lbs). This bike is a rocket! Very stiff in the bottom bracket, but not a harsh ride like some aluminum frames can be. I wouldn't be afraid to race this in a critierum. I haven't done a century on it yet but have completed several 50 - 60 mile rides and have found it to be a very comfortable ride. This frame is simply awesome!

Colnago Super, Colnago Master, Eddy Merckx Century, Custom Seven Axiom, Cannondale Caad 5, Carrera Hercules RC, Colnago C40, Merlin Extralight.

[Aug 28, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfortable, but plenty stiff and light for all but the most competitive of racers; Steering is steady yet responsive in corners and on descents; a real steel bike from The Man in steel bikes; massive style points in any paceline or peloton; the liveliest and most responsive ride of any all-steel bike I tested (see below)

Expensive; slightly heavier and less stiff than other bikes at this price point - think BMW, not Ferrari.

This bike is not the lightest or the stiffest bike available for the money, so it's not the bike for serious racers who can afford only one bike and for whom ounces and seconds count. But it is one sweet ride! In the one month and 500 miles that I've had it, I've ridden it in a century, a few club race rides, and up and over the steepest hills in the area. I have found it to be smooth, responsive and a dream to ride in all conditions. Rock steady on descents and high speed curves, and great road feel. I have only noticed some additional weight and frame flex when compared to my other, full carbon, bike when I'm standing and really pushing it on the steepest climbs (>10%). Plus, the more relaxed geometry makes it easier for me to get into a position that eats up the miles. Aesthetically, it's a unique blend of old school steel, new school oversized tubing, and an eye catching, but not gaudy, paint job.

Kestrel Talon, Soma Smoothie, Surly Pacer, Masi Speciale, Jamis Quest

[Jun 03, 2002]
    Darren Sherkat

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight frame, excellent handling and ride.

Heavy fork. Big guys may flex the chainstays in heavy sprinting. The Pegoretti Custom Team frame has beefy chainstays.

The Duende is Pegoretti's lightweight steel racer, and it is one of the lightest steel frames available. Our local shop has a scale, and even with training wheels (chorus/mavic open pro)and before I swapped the fork, my bike is considerably lighter than a stock 2001 trek 2300 in the same size. The ride is classic steel, but the oversized tubing makes it look a bitlike an aluminum bike. Workmanship on the frame is extraordinary. An older English gentleman who is a USCF official exclaimed "...look at those welds, that's beautiful." The fork is nice and adequate--I raced on it for a year and never had problems with lack of stiffness on fast descents or high speed corners.

De Rosa San Remo, Masi nuovo strada, Cannondale R900, Trek 2300.

[Mar 14, 2002]
    karim assfahany

OVERALL
    Strength:

Custom made(I am 194cm/211 lbs/) and they have made an exellent bike with freuler to me. The model is a perfect choise if you don´t know what you really want( and that sometimes is not easy). Not to say it is a compromise. But it seems that this model captures the best of all worlds. durability+stiffness+price+smothness on the road.I write on this forum just to let all know what a great custom bike brand this is.The paitingjob. the craftmanship nad the finish. These guyes know what they are doing.this is a modern racing machine

hard to say (for me)

This is a great bike. I had a Carrera dolphino steel bike before i bought this Pegoretti. And I can say that the difference is awsome. I feel that the steelbikes has developed a lot these past years and that it must be considered when you are buying a new bike. The handling and the stiffness ...it is all there.

carrera dolphino