Pegoretti Cicli Fina Estampa 2002 Road Bike

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 27, 2008]
    PWDude

OVERALL
    Strength:

1. Climbing (selling point CLOSER!)
    2. FAST for sprinting or accelerations.
    3. FUNKY beige/burgundy design makes it unique.
    4. STRONG FRAME. I'll die before it will.
    5. Great for bangin' up & down the backroads of NH in the summer.
    6. Not many folks have one - It stands out in a crowd.

1. CO$T!
    2. A little hard on the body after 80 miles or so.
    3. Wish the Reynolds fork was painted the same color & design as the frame.

Read the last review - and couldn't agree more. "RACE ROCKET" must be the translation for the Italina phrase "Fina Estampa". Baby wants to climb and go FAST! Bounces a round a bit ... but fun on the local dirt roads. The rear ARMORED dropouts are cool & functional - though the idea is NOT to test them. STIFF frame that wants to ZOOM! Lovin' it with a Campy Record (drivetrain/shifters) & Centaur (all else) mix of components. Bontrager RaceLites take the beating w/o complaint. Excellent purchase - want a Marcelo now!

Serotta Atlanta, Basso Gap ('86 & '94), Peugeot Px-10

[Oct 06, 2007]
    jim burgess

OVERALL
    Strength:

Unique among the world's bikes
    Power transfer
    Quick and precise handling
    A work of art and function(Dario Pegoretti is both the the Michael Angelo and Leonardo De Vinci of the biking world!!)

I need to be 23 years old again to take all the advantages of this bike!

I purchased the bike on Ebay after a 8 year hiatus from road biking. It originally belonged to a member of the Nerac Racing Team. The bike came with Ultegra Components less wheels. The shifters were replaced after 3 months. I had been using a Klein Mantra and Turner Burner for all of my training since a mountain bike can be used anywhere. On the Island of Saipan the Mantra was my only transport. During this time, I received a Gita Catalogue which had Eddy Merck, Pinarello, and Pegoretti bikes in it. Since I had been out of road biking so long, I was not aware of any other makes except for the Kestrel 200 SCI and the Biaanchi Strada which I owned back in 1991. Upon returning to the States in 2004, I began visiting various bike shops in the Charlotte North Carolina area which I now live. At one particular shop which was run by people my age (58) I saw for the first time a Pegoretti in the steel version. It stood out among the many bikes in the shop and was owned by a worker who was older than I was. He told me that the bike fitted him better than any other and it was no problem doing a 60 mile ride on it. I made up my mind to own a Pegoretti and found one on Ebay. It was like going from a Hummer to a Formula 1 Race car. I had ridden my Kestrel 200 SCI for years, but the power transfer did not compare to the Pegoretti. Simply put, had Lance been riding a Pegoretti all those years he would have more than 8 Tour De France victories. The Pegoretti aluminum model is the fastest and most powerful bike on the planet.

Bianchi Strada Lx
    Schwin
    Kestrel 200 SCI

[Apr 16, 2007]
    pokeybonz

OVERALL
    Strength:

Wow

Sometimes, when you feel like sitting up and taking things easy, the bike scoffs at you.

Was originally looking for custom steel, because I had been beat up for years on aluminum frames. I am larger, and was worried about flex. Bought this used, on a whim, and WOW!. It has the buttery ride of steel on all but the roughest roads, and yet is stiffer than a Caad 9 on standing climbs. Probably weighs 1/2 Pound more than a similar Cannondale, but I end the day far less beat up.

Of course the paint is orange with handpainted "sperms" on it, which draws some attention in a land of carbon weave.

Oh yeah, and it talks to me: it says I am getting older, and slower, and coaxes me to pick it up and stop whining. I now understand why Pegoretti owners are so cult-like.

Rated it a "4" for value, because new, it would have been out of reach.

Steel - Waterford, IF, Bianchi. Aluminum - Specialized

[May 10, 2003]
    jcreem

OVERALL
    Strength:

Amazingly fast, stable, and smooth (for scandium aluminum). Not many around. Paint jobs are unique (if that is a strength). $1249 was for the f/f on closeout- the only difference b/w the 2002 and 2003 was the paint job. But, if you are willing to wait 10 weeks, Pegoretti will do any of his paint jobs (see pegoretticicli.com) and even custom geometry for a small surcharge.

Almost looks like an early 90's Cannondale racing frame, except for the paint job and the great welds (and, of course, the ride). 31.0 seatpost diameter leaves few options.

I got the bike two days ago and have put 5+ hours on it. Comments thus far: Fast, stable, and powerful. Every pedal stroke goes directly to the road and it holds and holds a line, but very little chatter comes back at you. This bike was made for sprints and hills, but even after 3 hours my back felt good. All the tubes and the rear dropouts are massive; it takes a little getting used to, but you appreciate the purely functional approach when you ride (especially when you stand). Longer headtube makes for super-precise steering; no need for ugly spacers. Mizuno full carbon fork seems pretty stiff and tracks well.

Colnago Dream Plus; Merckx Corsa-01