Raleigh USA Team 2002 Road Bike

[Sep 29, 2018]
smcaldwell420

OVERALL
Strength:

So many great things about this bike!!! First off... It's beautiful! I'm a second owner of what must've been a wall hanger for 15 years. Got the frame only in 2017 and built it with 105 and mavic ksyrium wheels. It's nimble and fast for my local club races yet comfortable enough to ride from Seattle to Portland! If you come across one of these beauties, GET IT!

If you happen to chip or scratch the paint (i haven't... Yet) Raliegh will not sell or even instruct you how to obtain any kind of touch up paint. Finding specs are just about impossible so when assembling I had to do a lot of research and then make an educated guess on all the torque settings.

Price Paid:
2002
[Aug 18, 2004]
jlfbogey

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, soft and supple ride. Plush component setup.

Not so fond of the Selle italia SLR seat (I should say my ass is not so fond of it). Otherwise no real issues. Wish it had come with Campy's carbon record cranks instead of the aluminum record.

Beautiful, light weight, strong but supple frame, responsive but relatively soft ride, great component set. Record 10 group functions smoothly and flawlessly (my first campy bike after owning several shimano spec'd bikes). Eurus wheels are very strong and smooth. This bike has taken it in a year's worth of riding under my heavy ass (240 lbs) with no groaning or other problems---wish I could say the same about some of my other bikes. Frame set looks like Pinarello without the expense.

Cannondale R4000si D/A9, Raleigh R700 Ultegra triple

[Sep 28, 2002]
DLD

OVERALL
Strength:

Component Group, light weight, responsive frame.

Outstanding value even at more money. Very light and responsive while Carbon fork and stays dampen road vibration. Only thing I've upgraded is seatpost to Campy Record Carbon. I had a difficult time finding the bike to buy and ended up getting it out of state. If you can find one. A tremendous bargain with all of the Campy components.

[Jun 14, 2002]
turntim

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light weight, yet laterally stiff. An excellent climber, smooth descender, the carbon slurps up the bumps. A very comfortable century ride. Has 2 bottle mounts & a pump peg!

Paint appears to be weak. One chain slap chipped the chainstay paint, causing it to flake off.This will need to be watched closely. Also, the welds are not as smooth as some I've seen. Strong, just lumpy looking.

After owning Raleigh bikes for decades, including an '82 Team, I could not pass up on the 2002 version of Raleighs flagship model, the Team. I bought the frame, fork & headset, building it up w/ Campy Record & Rolf Sestrierre wheels. Adding a carbon bar, stem & seat post kept final weight at 17.2 lbs, yet under $2,500. Much less than the competition. The frame is constructed of Columbus Airplane ultra-light shaped aluminum, with a Columbus Carve carbon Seat stay & full carbon Carve Fork. A Columbus headset holds it all together. This frame is identical to many bikes used in the pro peloton, like Fondriest & Pinarello. It's a european design, and quickly dominating all of the competition. If you are seeking a race quality frame for fast rides or for competition, this one is a bargain. Raleigh's Team is equal to any task.

'82 Raleigh Team, '90 Raleigh Team, 3 Masi's, 2 Colnago's, etc..

[Mar 09, 2002]
brianmowry

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Frame, Ride, Campy, Seat, Paint, Price, ...

The bike came with a cheap seatpost. I replaced it with a ITM Millenium to match the bars and stem. It also came with a Centaur cassette that just doesn''t seem to do the Record components any justice. I havn''t had any problems with the cassette, but I will certainly upgrade if it wears out.

Raleigh really kicked it up a notch with thier new Heritage line. I went with the Team model for many reasons; the frame, Campy Record, and the price. The frame is a euro-design, super light aluminum mainframe with carbon rear stays and an 1 1/8" integrated headset. Campy Record is cool--nuff said. The price is way below anything else like it, $500-$800 less. The ride is silky smooth, absorbing virtually all of the road vibration and softening the bigger bumps. Out of the saddle the bike has little if any flex making it a wonderful sprinter. The paintjob is outstanding, I''m still trying to figure out if the lettering is painted on or if it is just a really good decal. Raleigh didn''t specify a weight on the bike so I weighed it myself--18 lbs for a 59cm with waterbottle cages.

Schwinn Paramount, Lemond Zurich