Trek 1200 2002 Road Bike

[Jun 25, 2019]
hangerpilot

OVERALL
Strength:

Started doing triathlons and found this bike hanging in a buddies garage. I have done 6 triathlons on this bike and it has not let me down. I was fitted with aerobars and I am ready for a HIM.

I have not found any. It might be heavier than newer bikes but it is all about the engine.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2002
[Aug 13, 2007]
Camelman

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, shifts reasonably well, aggressive cornering geometry, sprints okay.

Fork is kinda weak for hard cornering and braking, but the other parts work well enough for what they cost. I had to upgrade the seat though. 40 miles = pain. 80 miles = me ready to call for a ride home.

I love this bike. That pretty much sums it up, but I'll go ahead and continue. I bought this bike to see what my road buddies were talking about. One ride with an awesome crew, and I was hooked. This bike has performed flawlessly (when maintained), and has gotten me invited on many elite racer rides. I know, I know, it sounds like a bunch of hooey, but if you don't believe me, then I'll race ya! ;-)

[Sep 21, 2003]
hotdog00

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame seems well made and fairly light for the money. Nice paint and finish.

Not enough clearance between back wheel and frame. Cheap wheel set. Does not shift very well. Cant really change to tires that are any wider because of limited clearance between back wheel and frame.

The bike does not shift very well. Brakes are decent. Clearance between back wheel and frame is suspect at best. Wheels are cheap. Very rigid ride

[Jul 22, 2003]
Jim Lowe

OVERALL
Strength:

Great sprinter, good climber (with after-market rims), good descender, and with practice is sleek in the corners.

Bit heavy for racing off of the store shelf; however, that's nothing one or two simple upgrades can't fix.

This is a phenomenal bike!! The trek 1200 was my first real road bike that I bought strictly to help maintain my fitness level. I had no idea how much I would enjoy cycling prior to owning this machine. WOW - this bike is an outstanding performer. It is a GREAT all around bike that simply put; puts to shame all of those who spent up to three times as much on other machines. The trek 1200 is rigid, climbs well, leaps into sprints like a jack-rabbit, corners confidently and predictably, and on 700x20 tires descends like a freakin' bullet! Since my introduction into cycling over three years ago, I have trained properly and have since taken this machine to the starting line of several catagory 4/5 races and managed top 10 finishes. The only things I changed proir to racing were the saddle and the rims (Rolf Vector Sport). In my last race I crashed this bike THREE times (none of them my fault) and still managed to pull a top 20 finish. That should give you an idea of how solid, yet raceable this frame really is. Alas, I must now upgrade the original fork and sora parts but the frame is undamaged and definately a keeper. I cannot stress enough how incredibly versatile this bike really is. So whether you're looking for a weekend touring bike or a catagory racer, this bike amazingly fits both descriptions.

Lemond Zurich, Lemond L'alpe duez, Trek 5500

[Dec 13, 2002]
Steven Stringham

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, rigid, sprints like a rocket, long lasting quality frame

Killer on 200 milers, need to upgrade saddle, feel every bump, a little on the heavy side but at 22 lbs not bad

I purchased this bike in 1993 used with almost no miles on it. It has been a great bike to get me interested in the cycling world. I am most impressed with the ability to sprint, it literally leaps forward with each pedal stroke. For those purchasing a frame for the long haul this is a good frame, after 9 years and who knows how many tens of thousands of miles the frame is now just starting to get a little flex in it (and only slightly). I have toured and raced on this frame. My favorite is to come to the races on this average rec type frame and bust out a top 10 placement consistently (those with the pricey bikes laugh until the race is over). Good bike for the money. A few upgrades on the bike would lighten it up a bit, but that is not really necessary for this level of frame.

Giant Cadex, Leader 780r, trek 5200

[Jul 22, 2002]
linnwood

OVERALL
Strength:

durability, price, smooth operation of components

rigid!

Excellent bang for the buck! I had been doing a lot of road riding on my mountain bike and decided to move up to a road bike so, ostensibly, I could travel further and faster. It worked! The Trek 1200 is a very (read YIKES!) rigid set-up which also makes it very predictable. The shifting is flawless. I am upgrading the seat to reduce pressure, but the rest is top notch (well, pedals not so great but still workable). I take 30 mile rides on this bike 3 or 4 times per week and wish I had time for more! I also tested the Giant OCR-1, Trek 1000, and a Specialized; the Trek 1200 rode and shifted the best.

[Mar 04, 2002]
dagnelson

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliable Tiagra, great brakes, comfortable saddle, ligh-weight, very responsive.

Saddle, though comfortable, already has a tear in the soft foam. Tires are 700x25 and I might upgrade to skinnier tires. Toeclips are great but you need to like/want them (I don''''''''t mind). Cannot be converted into touring bike if needed. Aluminum is great and just what I wanted but might upgrade to carbon fork since it''''''''s a real pain on shake''''''''n''''''''bakes.

Just the bike I was looking for, and a great value for the price. Now comes with Tiagra which is supposed to be more reliable than Sora. Rode approx 1400 miles so far and had no major problems: on one ride, the shifter cable came loose but maybe I should have checked the nut at some point. The real problem is that this bike is so reliable that it is easy to neglect regular maintenance. Came with toeclips which fuels a lot of discussion in my group but I don''''''''t mind them at all and have no intentions to switching to clipless pedals - yet. I wanted a classic, reliable entry-level bike for my weekend rides of 30 miles which became to painful on a mountain bike, and ended up with a bike that can keep up with the other more expensive bikes and resulted in longer and more frequent rides than I initially anticipated. This bike made me feel like a kid again!

[Jan 07, 2002]
greenbulbs

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame, Tiagra, nice seat. Tough, I treat it like a biatch when city riding.

None so far. Early days.

I wanted a stiff bike that I could get into racing with. Tiagra Componets are good enough for me. The shifting is all I could want, no problems so far, even when shifting though a sprint. Really is a great bike for the price. The understated colours (what colours?) are great.

[Dec 20, 2001]
heydenw

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff, climbs well, and descends well

stiff, you can feel every little pebble and crack in the road but what do you expect with Aluminum

good bike rides alongside 3000 dollar bikes and has no problem. I bought it so I could train with my road bike buddies for the mountain bike season.

trek 1100