Trek 5900 USPS 2002 Road Bike

[Dec 11, 2016]
Jared M.

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultra-light frame... even by today's standards. (Stock Dura Ace bike was +/- 16 lbs). Stiff in all the right places. Excellent acceleration. Laser sharp handling. Fantastic vibration damping. Stock Dura Ace groupset is still about as good as it gets--even after 14 yrs. Excellent build quality. Has never given me a day of trouble and keeps me at the front of my pack week after week. Climbs like a mountain goat.

None.

I've owned dozens and dozens of road bikes--in all shapes, sizes, brands, price ranges, and build levels--and few have equaled or exceeded the 5900 / Madone 5.9 series. Purpose built for USPS Team--specifically for the 23 day / 2200 mile Tour de France road race (which--drug fueled or not--they won SEVEN times)... so you know this bike is WAY more than the average / recreational rider could ever need... so you know it is WAY more bike than the average rider could ever need. These bikes were +/- $5000 new so you don't see many of them on the road. The paint and clear coat still look nearly new even after 14 yrs of regular use.

A brand new, entry level carbon road bike costs $2000+ at your local bike shop. That bike will still be 2 to 3 lbs heavier than this bike--and have SRAM Apex, Shimano Tiagra or worse. I'd take this bike--even 14 yrs old--over one of those bikes any day of the week. (I've owned plenty of them--and sold them; I still have the 5900.) Bike shops will talk down used carbon bikes... imply that they could be cracked or spongy over time; it's just a sales pitch. I've easily owned over 100 carbon road bikes... and not a single one has ever failed. The reality is that if you don't abuse a frame, it will usually last a lifetime.

I noticed another review on this bike from "tubby"... the ONLY negative review... making a bunch of ridiculous claims about his bike "creaking". Hey, bro... frames don't creak... COMPONENTS do... if you don't install or maintain them properly. So, don't blame your bike if you don't take care of it. Carbon tubes and lugs are bonded with incredibly strong adhesives that simply do not fail... or creak. Ever. Bottom brackets can creak... cranksets can creak... Trek doesn't make either. Clearly if you abuse or do not properly maintain ANY bike, you will have issues with it. But that's not what these reviews are about.

Too many to list.

[Nov 24, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable, sturdy, light, fast and stiff!!! allof the qualities I've been looking for. I have ridden a LOOK KG261 for six years, and the Trek gives me a similar ride (pure love) but even stiffer and faster I like to build up my own bikes ad the frame was chased, threaded and aligned super clean!!!

My only source of angst was the funky headset set up. I inquired with Trek about the situation, and they fixed it for me FREE!!!

I bought this frame as a NOS unit this past summer I have only one word to describe this machine ADDICTIVE!!! I love the way it feels, rides and responds. I had a simiar problem with the special headset arrangement, but I sent the frame to TREK and they retrofitted a standard 1-1/8 headset. they even threw in a Bontrager Race X fork, and did it free! The rest had ben pure love (so far...)

LOOK KG261/

[Sep 02, 2007]
Larry Bourdeau

OVERALL

I'm looking for a fork for my 5900 USPS bike. Any suggestions would be appreciated

[Apr 13, 2006]
tubby

OVERALL
Strength:

A nice light and responsive frame for the first few years.

Durability, the frame starts to disentegrate after 3 years. Trek doesn't seem to think constant creaking is normal and isn't a defect.

What a POS. The frame is disentegrating. I have had to pull the bottom bracket frequently to remove chunks of frame that keep breaking off & rattling around inside (stuff the size of your thumb nail). Each time I do the tubes are also full of black flakes. Trek says all this is normal and not to worry - I'm afraid the thing is going to break in two on a desent! The frame has also begun to creak constantly. Trek says this is also normal and I need to put lock tight on my seat tube and let it sit overnight before riding. Great, just what I want to do everytime I set-up the bike up. The lock tight does cut down on the noise but it doesn't eliminate it. Shouldn't a top of the line bike be smooth & quiet? Trek has a quick answer for each problem I've come across which makes me think I'm not alone. Are all the 5900 frames out there begining to fall apart and Trek is afraid to do a recall? They certianly have blown me off.

Litespeed vortex.

[Apr 08, 2003]
Nick Evans

OVERALL
Strength:

blinding weight lovely to ride very smooth looks great!

crap headset leaks water

I got this bike on a staff purchase, to replace a Trek 5200 from a few years ago and what a difference. I bought the bike as the stock production bike, but changed to a CT2 seatpost, Flite SLR saddle, Michelin Pro Light Tyres and Conti supersonic inner tube, just to make it that little bit lighter! However, i also went to change the headset to a Chris King, i checked with Trek UK first, because the bottom cup looked to be really deep, they told me that the bottom cup is totally unique to the 5900 and cannot be changed, so im stuck with my crap leaky Cane Creek/Klein hybrid thing. Infact, it leaks so badly that the aluminium steerer is corroding, and i have to dismantle the bike every wet ride to sand off the corrosion, not what i expect on a $5000 bike, england isnt that wet afterall!

Trek 5200 roadbike Trek 9.8 carbon mountain bike

[Mar 09, 2003]
Teo Woon Lip

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely light Fast acceleration Very stiff Climbs very well Comfortable Look nice

It makes my heart ache every time I hit a pothole

I can say that the bike is simply awesome. The first time I took it out for a ride, I could feel the difference from my previous Giant TRC1 almost immediately. The acceleration is very fast, and the bike almost climbs by itself! Every pedal strokes felt like being transitted totally to forward motion. Out of saddle acceleration is great, such that it is easy reacting to attacks. The ride is very comfortable since the frame is capable of absorbing road shocks. The frame comes with a lifetime warranty, which makes you feel safe to own one.

Wheeler cromly, Giant TCR1

[Oct 31, 2002]
Mr Wishy

OVERALL
Strength:

-light -laterally stiff -sprints great -climbs great

-value -feels slightly unrefined -slightly "dead" or "wooden" feel

This bike was tested at a demo-day at Wakefield Park in Northern Virginia. I was able to ride this bike for 10 miles over rolling terrain. First, the strengths. This bike is on-par with other bikes of this price range when in the areas of overall weight, lateral stiffness, and response to out of the saddle efforts. The weaknesses. The only weakness that I found was the slightly unrefined ride. By unrefined, I intend to convey the fact that for my case, the bike is very stiff, but lacks the lively feeling feeling of a good steel frame. The ride. First let me mention that the bike I was able to ride was 2 cm larger than what I would normally ride, which could skew how the bike performed for my demo. The first thing I noticed was how well the bike responds to out of the saddle efforts. Every pedal stroke is rewarded with forward motion. Out of the saddle sprints were also great, as is climbing in any form, whether in the saddle or out. The on major complaint that I have is the unrefined ride. Even thought at times I thought the bike was a little harsh over some surfaces, it still lacked that lively feel that makes me want to go fast. I'm sure that if I did an instrumented test in a vacuum comparing the bike with other bikes that the stop watch would more than likely say I am faster on this bike. However this bike does not make me feel like I'm going fast, and does not inspire me to do so. It's like driving a Sports Sedan vs. driving a Sports Car. Over the course of a cross country drive, I'm sure those driving the Sports Sedan (likened to the Trek) will arive at their destination fresh and probably with more energy. However, those driving the Sports Car, may get a little beat up on certain sections, but they sure will be going faster and having more fun on the twisty mountain roads. I hope that analogy makes some sense.

'96 Trek 1000 '00 Schwinn Super Sport GLX '02 Giant TCR 2

[Sep 26, 2002]
jdm2

OVERALL
Strength:

Material: Carbon Fiber Warranty: Lifetime Other: Stiff, lightweight, lively feel, quick and responsive, tracks great

Rear dropouts: Should be replaceable

I have been a road rider/racer for over 10 years. I have ridden/owned frames made of chromolly (Motobecane, Peugeot, Ciocc), aluminum (Alan, Specialized), and carbon fiber frames (GrafTek and Trek). Of all frames, the carbon fiber is by far the best ride for me. Why? Because carbon fiber has different inherent qualities than alloys. Depending on how the frame is manufactured, you'll get a compliant, stiff, or flexing ride. And that's where Trek's 5900 shines. The 110 OCLV is the lightest frame I've ever ridden, its torsionally stiff, very light, and will not bend or get misaligned. This is a thoroghbred designed for speed and you "feel" its demeanor once you stride the frame. This bike excels at all speeds, but you really notice its prowess once you break the 23mph zone. It wants to go fast, and helps you achive that. It climbs exceedingly well, tracks accurately through curves, and handles majestically. The frame is definitely the most responsive frame I've ever ridden. Carbon fiber absorbs and that means less fatigue to the rider. Carbon fiber, dead feel or lively feel? Some riders need to feel every bump as a harsh jolt, every nuance as a degree of sensitivity, every road aberation must be felt in different tones, this is what is perceived as a "lively feel". Unfortunately, this also takes its toll on the rider. The carbon fiber frame does transmit all this information, its just not harsh. I believe that the frame is to be an extension of the rider, it needs to work with the rider, not beat him up. This frame's design and 110 OCLV material allows the rider to know exactly what is going on beneath him. Every nuance is transferred to the rider, but only so the're aware of what exactly is going on. It is not a "dead" feel, it a "less harsh" feel. But all the information "is" there. Of all the bikes I've owned, I rode the GrafTek frame (22 lbs) the longest at over 8 years and loved it. The frame blistered on a hard impact and I was forced to buy a new frame. I tested other carbon frames and in the end, I opted for the Trek 5900. You get what you pay for, and in this case, much more. What a ride.....

GrafTek Carbon/Grafite

[Sep 02, 2002]
M_Lou

OVERALL
Strength:

light weight, comfort on long rides on questionable road surface, wonderful for climbs

If you purchase the bike as it is set up by Trek, you will invariably want to upgrade some components immediately, namely the handlbar (too narrow), stem (too short and ugly), saddle (although this is a very personal issue - I disliked the Selle San Marco Era saddle intensely) and seat post (no set back on the standard issue Thomson Elite)

I am not one to be easily impressed and therefore approached carbon fiber frames and all their touted attributes with some skepticism. However, I am quite happy to report that after 6 months of riding Trek's OCLV 110 frame, that any thought of returning to my trusty Columbus SL Pinarello have been put to rest. I have ridden the Trek OCLV frame over some very nasty rutted and potholed roads in the New England area - the frame does a superb job of absorbing all the jolts and vibrations. As for flexing a frame - at 5'8" and 125 lbs, this is not really a concern of mine - however, the Trek has been nothing but ultra stiff and responsive.

[Aug 16, 2002]
horscategorie

OVERALL
Strength:

Super stiff. Super light. Sweet smooth ride (much better than aluminum). Stable at high speed. Corners like a dream.

The only problem I have noticed is everyone wants to pick up my bike to see how light it is. It just gets annoying after awhile!

I had heard great things about carbon but never ridden it. When I got on my new 5900 for its maiden voyage it was like riding on glass. So smooth and fast. It feels so fast no matter how slow you go up a hill. Out of the saddle the bike seems to jump with each pedal rev. It glides around turns and decends like a falcon on its prey. I wouldn't trade it for any other bike out there.