Wilier Alpe D'Huez 2002 Road Bike

[Nov 05, 2011]
james moffatt

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, Rigidity, Good Looks and over all performance.

This bike is by far the best i have ever ridden with its carbon stays and fork making it smooth as silk. The alloy frame's stiffness allows you to stomp on the pedals and sprint like a pro.

2010 Specialized tarmac but the Alpe de Huez is preferred

[Feb 24, 2009]
Guru

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and agile. Once fitted correctly, moulds to riders positioning. Quick. Solid feel feel evn though very light. Finish is immaculate. Mine is the 'tarditional' Wiler colour copper top section and black with red and white highlights.

Lightness. Slightly stiff on rough roads.

I've ridden a few bikes in my time, but this bike outshines all in terms of 'bang for your buck'. Like a sportscar it sits squatted ready to take off. Tokk a little getting used to but now love it. Great climber and even better on the way down. An Italian classic!

[Sep 10, 2008]
Les Schroll

OVERALL
Strength:

No noticable flex; neutral steer; great for long days in the saddle; great bike for long climbs.

Seat tube diameter 31.4 thou Selcof will get the post from italy (Red Rose Imports)Not a Crit bike

Very nice to spend hours in the saddle; climbs well; very neutral on high speed descents; great when you are out of the saddle! Quick handler! Very good for road racing.

Trek 5500 OCLV is the closest to it's feel; but the Wilier feels a bit more solid, and does not have the whell hop with large wall rims at high speed.

[Apr 12, 2007]
Tony Schueller

OVERALL
Strength:

Responsive,Comfort,looks and quality

Paint on cabling gets worn if you don't keep replacing with stick on clear pads .Sometimes a little to light ,like on very windy days Would like to have had 31.8 bar instead of 26,of course you could change it.

Great handling,very little flex for such a
light bike.Very well built.Great looks love the red yellow combo with rest of bike black and carbon parts.Even though carbon,aluminum combo,does not feel the bumps.Geometry is great,mine has sloped bar and accelerates like a rocket better than my brand new racing bike.Cant
go wrong for the money.Excellent race training Bike.

Trek 1400,Giant tcr zero,Orbea

[Jan 15, 2004]
Antoine H

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful look, red/yellow and carbon galore. Solid machine and a good value for an aluminum/carbon frame and all carbon fork with Chorus. Not seen every day of the week. Awesome dealer support. Italian cache.

I have read complaints of the cable routing rubbing paint. Rubber cable guides installed over the housing came on my bike, so no problem. The paint, although gorgeous, is not very durable. Lots of chips on fork and actually rubbed off of the bottom of the top tube after carrying on a trailer hitch Thule rack...this never happened to any of my mountain bikes!!! Soft clear coat or something. I have not had a problem with the integrated headset; however, I'd prefer an external Chris King.

I bought my AdH about 9 months ago and have put ~ 2,500 miles on it. It climbs great in the mountains and doesn't shimmy on the descents. I've touched 55 mph and felt very comfortable in the saddle. The alu/carbon combination is very comfortable, but I haven't ridden too many other machines for long distances so can't really make a fair comparison.

My first road bike since my steel Viner in the early '80's. I'm test riding an Izoard and Lampre team bike in the next couple weeks...always room for a new bike!

[Mar 04, 2003]
Karlheinz

OVERALL
Strength:

Quite responsive yet smooth as silk. Corners like it's got suction cups. Frighteningly fast on the descents.

It's perfect. I can't think of a single one.

This is for the 2003 ALP D' HUEZ. I elected to purchase the standard geometry model, but this one is also available in compact geometry. The ride is smooth thanks to the carbon seat-stays, yet suprisingly responsive for the sprinters. I'm considered a fast descender by my cycling friends and I've been able to bring the speed up a notch with this frame under me. Spectacular. Blends the best of both worlds (sprinting/responsive vs. smooth/comfortable) perfectly. A+ ride. If you want a cool looking bike that also rides as well as it looks, BUY ONE!

I also ride a Calfee Tetra Pro (very responsive and stiff), a Gios A-90 (smoother, nice long ride bike), and a Columbus Genius steel Rock Lobster (it's steel..).

[Feb 28, 2003]
Pergita

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, Responsive, Agile.......... Construction, Weight

Rider

2003 Alpe d'Huez. Compact geometry This geometry is the way to go. Quick and responsive especially for us sprinters. On the flats it's super smooth and the carbon seat stay helps to absorb any shock. If you like to decend, it handles like nothing before. Climbing: Well I can't really comment since I'm not a climber but I'm told it's fast.

2000 Wilier Alpe d'Huez standard geometry

[Feb 19, 2003]
Nils Dekker

OVERALL
Strength:

Acceleration, looks, good mixture of carbon/alloy, wheelset is superb!

cables scratching my beautifull frame!

Did not like the yellow parts(seat,pedals,steer) changed them for(even better) black and carbon parts. Now the bike looks great! More important: The bike rides like hell!! Best buy ever!

Trek 5200, Giant TCR

[Feb 11, 2003]
P Schmitt

OVERALL
Strength:

Light & responsive for all types of road racing - flats, hills & crits. 8.5kg is pretty good for the price (Ultegra would be a bit heavier) It also looks beautiful!

Rear derailleur hanger not replaceable, Endless trouble with headset adjustment, Gear cable bosses too low - paintwork gets scratched. Could possibly be a tad stiffer.

I moved from all Steel to Alloy/Carbon with this frame & fork and was quite taken aback by the difference. Balanced & predictable steering, climbs firmly both in the seat and out and descends well. Geometry is pretty standard. Carbon fork & rear-end soak up vibrations well, without being sloppy. (Can anyone tell me why the change to Easton Race tubing on the 2003 model as it appears to be heavier than Ultralite?) I would rcommend this frame for riders lighter than 80kg

FORT Aero SL, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Columbus SLX, Colnago Mexico Columbus SL, ALAN

[Dec 06, 2002]
Lonny

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely light, stiff frame. Everything you would expect from a high caliber bike.

It's so pretty, I'm afraid it will be stolen, or that I will wreck.

I started out as a mtb/cyclocrosser, but decided road riding is better than mtb. I was using my 'cross bike as a road bike. The difference between my Wilier and my 'cross bike is like night and day. Especially with the sewups.