Wilier Izoard 2002 Road Bike

[Mar 22, 2009]
mario miglio

OVERALL
Strength:

handling, stability,comfort, climbs like no other

Wonderful customer service

eddy merckx race
Look 585

[Jan 10, 2009]
Wilier_speed

OVERALL
Strength:

Finish and paint job, good climbing bike, absorbs vibrations well, not that many on the road.

None that I can think of though the geometry is not super aggressive so I would probably pick the Le Roi or Cento Uno if I were racing.

I should start out by saying that this is my first road bike since I used to race on my Bottecchia SL with Campy Chorus back in the late 80's. (I've been riding mountain bikes since then.) So I really can't compare to other road bikes of recent past although I test rode ALOT of bikes before going with the Wilier. But I will say this, this bike seems to climb EXTREMELY well. Its not the most aggressive racing geometry, nor the best bike for an all out sprint, but it seems to just feel at home climbing mountains (hence the name I guess.) It also feels very solid and absorbs vibrations very well. I also get a lot of other riders glancing at it and asking me about it. I'm very pleased with bike in general. It looks great!

Tried Specialized, Scott, Cannondale, and Giant bikes in same price range. Wilier felt better although parts on the other bikes were better for similar price.

[Aug 13, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff but comfortable. Climbs like a dream. Super stable at high speed.

The fact that I didn't buy it sooner.

I absolutely LOVE this bike. I rode several other top carbon bikes, but liked this one best. Incredibly stable on high speed descents. Stiff and light, but geometry not quite as agreesive as some race bikes, which is part of what I love about it. At this price point, they are all good bikes, buy what fits your riding style. If you are looking for a comfortably agressive frame that has the stiffness to race, but all day comfort, you can't beat the Izoard. And, not that this should drive the purchase, but this is one of the best looking bikes on the market.

Trek Madone 5.2
Scattante CFR
Specialized Roubaix

[Jun 10, 2008]
fourstringsisplenty

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, married to race-bike feel. (I test rode a Roubaix and hated it!)

Struggle to think of any. Price? But you probably have to accept that a boutique brand from a small workshop in northern Italy is going to cost more than a bike from a volume manufacturer.

Very smooth-riding, but also whippy-fast, bike.

I came to this from a Specialized alloy road bike, and the difference is very marked. The alloy bike was fun to ride and a great start in road riding (I'd been mountain biking for many years before I got my first drop-bar bike), but the Wilier has taken things up a couple of notches. Fast, all-day rides no longer leave me stiff and aching – just wanting to go out for more the next day. I spent a week riding in northern France 3 weeks ago in everything from hot sun to driving rain, and felt that the bike had had its first real test, which it passed with flying colours.

How much of the improvement over the Specialized is due to it being an Izoard, how much to it being carbon, and how much to it being fitted with Ksyrium SLs, I'm not sure! I'm very pleased with it, though.

I haven't ridden anything as good as this!

[Oct 16, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light! Stiff, yet smooth. Carbn wrapped tubes really do the trick. Finish Unique

None yet.

This is a review after my first ride...more later. I only rode 21 miles this morning for my test ride, but, whoo, baby, this bike rocks! To begin with, it's light...as in 16 lbs, fully built, pedals included. I have carbon everywhere, which helps, but the frame/fork are light! And stiff, yet smooth, too. Much smoother than my Bianchi SL Daytona. The bike begs to go faster, screams to climb. Handling doesn't seem as twitchy as the Bianchi, seems more balanced and responsive. I'll post reviews for some of the other components on the bike, mainly the new Tektro carbon brakeset (308 gr), the Velocarbon superlight carbon seatpost (157 gr), Tufo S3 lites (165 gr). I already did one for the Selle Italia carbon saddle (125 gr), which I friggin love!

Bianchi SL Daytona Orbea Mitis

[Apr 05, 2005]

OVERALL

Take the Wiler seat clamp and Selcof post and throw them as far away from you as possible... then flick a booger at them.

Frame is great... I love it, very quick and precise handling. Comfy ride and looks pretty dang sweet.

[Jan 05, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride. No problems so far. Stable as a rock over 60km/hr. Bargain.

I have had this bike for 6 weeks, done 1200km. This is the 2004 Izoard frame which is now full carbon. This is my first road bike, my previous bike was the Marin Highway one, a hybrid with 105 & Ultegra components. I have Campag chorus gruppo & Campag proton wheels. The bike has been a dream to ride from the word go. There was some pretty bad sitbone pain initially with the Selle saddle but this has subsided. I have done a century ride with no soreness whatsoever. I'm so glad I went with the Wilier over the Giant 2005 TCR0 I had been considering. Even the much-maligned Ergobrain has performed faultlessly.

Marin Highway one

[Dec 01, 2003]
Tim Orton

OVERALL
Strength:

Compliments galore on looks. Bike for all purposes. Great all day ride.

I have not seen any.

I primarily use my Wilier for racing and use my steel Bianchi for training. When I ride the Wilier it feels smooth and fast. I notice the difference between the two bikes immediately. I enjoy both bikes but the Wilier is superior as an all out racing bike. It is more stable on fast descents because of the 1 1/8 headset and beefy straight blade carbon fork. It seems to do everything well from climbing, flats. I use Zipp 440 wheelset which makes it an all around utility bike. Time trials, crits, flats, and mountains.

Specialized Epic, Bianchi XL Boron steel, late 80s Bianchi Steel.

[Sep 11, 2003]
SinJin

OVERALL
Strength:

* Light weight: frame/fork = 2.78 lbs. * Excellent paint job * English (not Italian) metrics * Scandium (makes the frame lighter/stronger * Carbon fiber in every tube (bumps don't knock your teeth out) * Hand made in Italy * Unique (its not your neighbor's Trek, Cannodale, Bianchi or Litespeed

* Integrated headset doesn't seem to sit in the head tube properly * Head tube reservoir isn't machined deep enough (see above) * Wilier website doesn't have enough details

I did a lot of research before deciding on the Izoard frame/fork. After I bought the frame, I started getting buyer's remorse. However, after riding it, I couldn't be happier. It's superlight, strong and agile. It eats hills and absorbs bumps (more than your average road bike) with its carbon fiber (in all tubes). The paint job is vibrant and excellent quality. The bike stands out and can hold its own against other high-end road bikes. The only problem I have is with the integrated headset which doesn't fit properly into the head tube reservoir. It's almost as if the reservoir wasn't machined deed enough. I've got this problem aimed at the vendor and they're checking it out. Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased.

Trek 5500, Litespeed Hyperion

[Aug 27, 2003]
Bil

OVERALL
Strength:

The combination of Scandium and carbon fiber in the frame. Carbon-fiber fork (and steering tube), seat post, and monostay. Workmanship (quality welds) Eye-popping paint.

None.

The Izoard is a successful marriage of craftsmanship, the latest in frame-building materials, and fabrication methodologies. A casual glance at the bike reveals the artisans' hand, and how graceful the the bike is. Upon closer inspection, Wilier's attention to detail becomes quite apparent, and the meticulous construction is easy to see. This is a frame that is not only fast, but is also comfortable. For someone my size (180#) that's an important consideration. The compact geometry ehnances the feeling the bike is an extension of the rider. While there's no noticeable frame flex, or the resultant power loss (great for climbing), the utilization of carbon-fiber allows road vibration to be dampened (but not overly so) which results in a more comfortable ride regardless of the road surface. From the easiest club ride, to hard training days, to the crucible of racing, this is a bike that will meet and exceed every expectation.

This is worlds beyond what I've ridden in the past. My previous ride was a Mondonico EL-OS.