Wilier Lavaredo 2002 Road Bike

[May 21, 2006]
De Grove

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a solid, strong frame, with great comfort, good tractability, fast acceleration, ideal price/quality bike

Matt painting work is difficult to clean, further no complains

After my Alu VITUS, a purchased this WILIER Lavaredo, good price/quality, great driving; more then 10.000km already, great for taking curves, strong but light, looks nice, my best bike so far!

Sometimes I use a Cannondale Synapse?from a friend, not easy to handle in curves (for me), less comfort, where is the design?

[Oct 25, 2004]
nswmtber

OVERALL
Strength:

Tight feel. Very light. Beautiful paintjob. Horizontal top tube. Extremely fast acceleration.

None! Except: yellow paintjob is difficult to keep clean.

This is my first high-end road bike. Prior to this, I rode very old steel roadbikes and mountainbikes. My last roadbike was a woman's touring bike (ie. with the step through frame) that I bought on ebay for $20. It was actually quite fantastic and I commuted 30kms on it daily. However, I felt the need to buy a really lightweight top-end bike and the Lavaredo was just absolutely beautiful. I have it in a very bright gleaming yellow. And the feel of the bike! It's just something else. It accelerates so fast, I often beat cars off the mark at traffic lights. And it lets me scream down hills at 65km/h while letting me feel I'm in complete control all the way. The best way to describe how this bike feels is: "tight". Everytime I ride it, it feels better and better. If you ever get the chance to get a Lavaredo, you should take it. Awesome value for money (unless you're lucky enough to get a $20 old steel bike on ebay). I recommend this bike very highly. Just love it!

Old steel bikes from the 1970s.

[Jul 16, 2004]
santosjep

OVERALL
Strength:

The 10 speed campy it came on really helped me flatten hills. The componentry and performance of the bike justify the cost.

Flexing bottom bracket (if you're a heavy rider)

Happiness. This bike really lived to its hype. The carbon rear seat stays and the Reynold’s Ouzo Comp fork made my ride more comfortable as I upgraded from a full aluminum bike. I was very doubtful about riding a carbon enforced frame at first since I’m about 200 lbs and fearful that one day they will just shatter beneath me. Ok.. ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Seriously, with all the weight limits out there regarding light alloy and carbon, I was really hesitant to do the leap of faith. Anyway, 500 miles after my purchase, I am still very happy and excited to hop on my bike every chance I get. The matte blue finish made it even prettier to look at. There’s only one drawback that I noticed. Since I’m a heavy rider, I would expect to torque anything I’m on during a climb, the bottom bracket to be specific. It’s not as bad as I expected but it still noticeable. Apart from that (which can be remedied by losing some weight) I’m a happy rider, only if I can pronounce the Wilier brand correctly every time I’m asked, “So, what bike do you ride?” VERDICT: Stop dreaming GET IT!

Orbea Marmolada, Trek 5200, Cannondale 800

[Dec 17, 2003]
giantmdb

OVERALL
Strength:

Great looks. Excellent paint and welds. Carbon fork and seat stays. Lite-weight. Stiff power transfer yet comfortable ride.

No complaints.

Typical Italian quality. Excellent! I purchased a 2003 Lavaredo in red to replace my Giant TCR2r frame. What a difference. I loved the Giant but this frame rocks! Great ride, awesome sprints, billy goat climing and carves corners like a knife.

TCR2r Giant

[Aug 18, 2003]
Steven Platteeuw

OVERALL
Strength:

-great looks -taking turns -climbing

-noise in the headset bearings when climbing -Maybe the frame is a little to small for me

I bought this bike because of the carbon rear stays and looks. The frame looks great in its matt blue finishing. It feels very stiff and strong on heavy or long climbs (even with my 100 kg). But the most fun thing about it is the way how it corners. You can take your turns much easier with this frame.

old bike was a Vicini (campa veloce). Very good bike

[Jun 25, 2003]
Larry Mautone

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight Steel,Columbus Carve Fork &chainstays.XXL frame 3 lbs 6ozs. Smooth riding, plenty stiff and climbs very well.

I can't find any!!

I have the Wilier Angliru frame,I am putting it here since there is no place for it!It is Columbus UltraFoco-with Carbon Rear Stays.Beautiful Copper color.super smooth bike XXL-weighs 18 lbs 6 ozs. Check out the Wilier's!! this bike ROCKS!! Comes in sloping Geometry. I am 6'1"-185 lbs. Fits great!!

Cannondale Caad 5,Ritchey Road Logic,Serotta,Merlin, Kestrel. I have had a few thru the yrs!

[Mar 05, 2003]
dtross

OVERALL
Strength:

ride looks I have yet to see one when I'm out riding great for the price on the frame and fork

I havn't noticed the cables rubbing the paint yet but other reviews make that seem likely.

Tim at Medina Cycleworks (AKA wrenchscience.com)recomended I try the Wilier and I couldn't be happier. The bike handles well and the carbon seatstay and fork really make for a nice ride. I have the Lavaredo in the soft blue and it looks great. It looks quite a bit different than the Wilier web-site photo. The Campy components rock. I just couldn't put shimano components on an Italian bike. The ksyrium elite wheels ride nicely and seem like a good choice for the price.

[Nov 26, 2002]
Carn

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit paint job handling

shifting cables rubbing the paint off the downtube

It is great fit, which is the most important thing. It rides like a dream. I've ridden steel and full aluminum bikes and love this bike the best. I'm looking to by another one as a training bike and hanging up the steel frame.

Colnago master x-light (steel)good ride Santa Cruz Roadster (aluminum) sucked (check review) Giant (aluminum) bb flexed too much Cannondale (aluminum) rough ride

[Nov 19, 2002]
Piers

OVERALL
Strength:

Rear carbon stays, paint job, saddle, overall ride is very good

chain stay guard fell off after 1 day. Little bit heavy on the hills. Bars flex too much Chorus needs a heavy oil or grease, anything thinner it sounds dry when running

Got this bike being my first Aly after my Peugeot steel frame, people said that Aly was unforgiving but i found it the ride was better than steel. Bought it in Soft Blue paintjob which looks unique. Paid £1600 in the UK imported from Italy.