Gary Fisher Nirvana 2003 Hybrid Bike

[Aug 28, 2003]
Allan

OVERALL
Strength:

American made frame and assembly. (Amazing) Strong seamless Bontrager rims. Nice Crowbar handlebars. Front shock decent, seat shock helpful. Easy shifts with grip shift and good derailleur. Nice handling and fairly light for all its features.

Seat is terrible. Most dealers will switch for a nominal fee depending on how high you want to upgrade. You can get nice seats for $40. My dealer credited me $25. so it was a no brainer. The front stem is very good and light but not as adjustable as my '99 trek. It's not as light a hybrid as more expensive models but you have to spend a lot more to save another two pounds.

I bought this bike for my daughter but enjoy riding it myself sometimes and feel I can give good input. My own hybrid is a 1999 Trek 7500 which has the identical frame (Trek makes Gary Fisher bikes). The main difference with the Nirvana is the front shock---a pretty good one for the price of the bike and really smooths out the bumps. I may eventually change my front fork to a shock absorber on the Trek. Keep in mind the extra weight of the front shock (as well as friction loss) will slow you down somewhat. We looked around and had a tough time finding anything better in price range. The wheels are bontrager as well as some of the other parts---solid and smooth operating. Good derailleur system with deore on the rear and nexave on the front.The original seat for 2003 models is awful so we immediately bought a real nice Serfas to replace it. For five to twenty five mile treks, this is a sweet machine.

I ride a '99 Trek 7500 and it is very nice. It's fairly tall to fit my inseam and I love the Selle Basano seat it came with. It has Deore LX rear derailleur and seems more efficient a ride than the Ga

[Aug 03, 2003]
Christopher Barari

OVERALL
Strength:

It is light considering mostly every is aluminium and because of its geometry it rides really nice.

No major weaknesses

This is an excellent bike. There are a lot of bicycles stores in NYC and before buying a Gary Fisher Nirvana bike I tried every other bike imaginable. I don't pay much attention to brand names or consumer reports because I think the best way to research any product is to try it for yourself.

I test road Trek, canondale, Giant, Bianchi,and Specialized bicylces before chosing to go with the Gary Fisher Nirvana.