Marin Mountain Bikes Highway One 2003 Hybrid Bike

[Jan 21, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Good group set for the price range which always performed well.
Personally I found the seat very comfortable.
Speedy with good handling

The frame is just not strong enough for any serious training or cycling.

I bought the Marin Mill Valley 2006 which is eseentially the same frame as the 2005 Highway one even down to the colour. I was drawn to the bike because it seemed like a good bike to both commute on and for road rides on the weekend. I really enjoyed the ride of the bike, it's responsive without being twitchy and is certainly fast. I cycle about 100-250 miles a week.However I had only owned the bike for about 4 months when the seat tube cracked in half above the bottom bracket and just above the weld. I was prepared to accept that I had bought the 1 in 1000 bikes that had an unfortunate fault and my cycle shop replaced the frame with an 05 Highway One because there weren't any 2006 Mill valley frames available.
I cycled this frame for a further 4 months and the frame again cracked in exactly the same place only this time the crack was more severe. I am fairly tall 6'3" but of a slim build and below average for my height. I took the bike back to my shop and asked for a refund I certainly wouldn't ever by another Marin bike and have now opted to buy a road bike a Specialized Roubaix Comp. If you are going to do alot of long distance/all day riding I would think twice about buying this bike. I think the aluminium on this frame is just too thin to provide sufficient strength for anything more than extremely smooth roads - and where do you finf those these days.

None. Currently have a Cannondale Super V for mountain biking.

[May 27, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, stiff, but still plush on the bumpy stuff, light as heck (I got the 20.5 inch and I don't think it weighs much more than that in pounds) Nice stock components (the only thing I would change is stem, for a carbon one or at least something a little better looking) Really fun to ride. Also price--eventhough it is not cheap, you really cannot find a roadbike with the same caliber of components anywhere in the price range. Carbon stays will already get you up in the 2000 range.

Made in Taiwan?!
Looks so flashy for a commuter, recreational bike.
Hard to find.
Clearcoat chips really super easy (which is partly why I got such a good deal...)
All the advertising is lame--I wish it was stickers so I could peel it off.

Awesome!!!
I am writing a review because I was frustrated that there wasn't more info out there about this bike. If you can find a good deal on the bike (I got a '05 with dings on it for 400 less than the regular price.) it is well worth it. I live in San Francisco and the roads are really [email protected]**^#d up here--the carbon stays, fork, cranks, seatpost and handlebars truly soften it all out. The wheels are great and the bike is fast! Although I sometimes wish I had dropbars, you can't have the comfort and uprightness and strong braking ability and still the aerodynamics of drops.
Everything stock that it comes with is quality--the seat is great, shimano 105 shifters, caarbon barends, this is truly a sweet bike. Problem is it is flashy and I am weary to lock itup at the grocery store, etc. Considering that it is a top of the line commuter, that is a little annoying. But as I get more comfortable (and use 2 or 3 massive locks) I will use it for my everything bike. I highly reccomend this bike.

Ibis Mojo with slicks on it, Specialized Sirrus (bought one for my girlfriend), Klein Pulse with slicks.

[Aug 14, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light and responsive. Nice components. MTB geometry with road bike speed. Nice white paint gives off hues of other colors depending on lighting and angle. Wheels are slightly heavy but the weight to strength ratio out weights any need for improvement. Great rubber. Brakes are fine. I live in a mountainous area and the brakes are very strong. Eyelets for fenders and rack(unsure of new carbon stayed model)on the full aluminum frame.

Stock WTB Speed V saddle was harsh at the least. Stiff frame and wheels. This isn't really a weakness to me because of the roads I ride on need the extra strength.

After 2 plus years of riding this bike I must say, "IT ROCKS!". Never any problems other than normal wear. The brakes are great Avid Single Digit V brakes and levers. They stop and modulate fine on long hills. First reviewer must have needed better pads or setup was poor maybe? Great geometry and weight. Wheels, fork and frame are bomb proof. I almost upgraded to a lighter wheelset but after a couple years it wouldn't have been an "upgrade". The stock Shimano wheels are super tough and have needed zero attention. Great on rough roads. Coming from a mainly mountain bike background I soon fell in love with the way this bike fits and reacts to rider input(body english). I'm 6', 185lbs and ride the 19" model. I love the way it climbs and is super fast on the straights. Stiff frame though but the newer model has carbon stays. Saddle and carbon post cure most of the road vibration but groups of "studder" bumps will make you stand to ride them through. Again the new one has carbon stays. Great spec and quality. BUY ONE NOW!!!

Litespeed Classic, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Raleigh Touring bike.

[Jul 29, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality of components. Weight. Comfort. Speed. Build quality. Looks. Rare.

A bit pricey but I have since checked up on the component prices and found that i'd be hard pressed to buy the bits ( if I could) to make one for less! (e.g. the crankset is more than £250).

What a bike! I have never enjoyed riding a bike so much. It looks amazing and rides like a dream. It's fast and extremely light. The components are top notch are some are found on bikes costing several times more. The bike is so much more stable than my drop handlebar and easier to ride but it really is just as fast if not faster. Go take one out for a spin and see for yourself! You will buy one, believe me.

Cannondale Badboy Ultra, Specialized Sirrus Pro, Trek 1200 (none come close).

[Oct 01, 2003]
Mark Edwards

OVERALL
Strength:

None at the moment. Can't ride the bike with the brake design problems.

Front brake can not be made to brake smoothly, chatters, grabs, and squeals. In fact it's quite dangerous trying to brake on a hill.

This bike was my first venture into road riding. I'd been on steel mountain bikes for years and wanted something comfortable that I could keep up with my roadie buddies on. I was very impressed with my first ride at the bike shop. After about 300 miles I started having problems with the brakes. My 2003 had been spec'd with 2002 brakes, so Marin told me to return to the Bike COnnection and they'd put the Avid brakes spec'd for 2003 on it. Once again the bike was flawless. BUT after several hundred more miles of very steep hills the brake pads were due for replacement, additionally they had started to chatter, grab, and squeal. I went to my local bike shop to have them replaced. They worked for over an hour, involving all the shop mechanics (5) and could not get the brakes to stop squeling and grabing. They speculated that the brakes were overpowering the carbon fork causing it to flex, thus changing alignment. They didn't charge me , apologized and sent me on my way. At this point the bike is unrideable and my local shop won't work on it anymore. I've attempted to contact Marin 4 times in the past 6 weeks with no response. Although my test ride prior to purchasing was wonderful, I have to strongly caution anyone considering this bike, mine is worthless to me after less than 9 months.

Bridgestone MB-3