Specialized Crossroads Sport 2003 Hybrid Bike

Specialized Crossroads Sport: Fun and fast, efficient and stable, the Crossroads Sport will carry you across town or down to the park. With 24-speed Shimano drivetrain and 700c wheels, the Crossroads Sport is an excellent bike to...

[Sep 18, 2020]
FreakyZekie

OVERALL
Strength:

I own the newly designed 2020 Crossroads 1.0 step through. It has a 7 speed Shimano drivetrain. The seating is upright more or less but there is a sporty feel more than a comfort feel to the ride. Bikes are scarce during this pandemic and this one is no exception. This version of Crossroads is marketed by Specialized as an upgraded design from the longstanding Crossroads model. It has beefy 45 x 700 tires and eyelets for a rear rack and fenders. The stock pedals are aweful huge ugly black platforms and i instantly upgraded those. The stock saddle is actually quite comfortable. The handlebars are risers but the stem is not adjustable. I find the set up to be quite comfortable. I am 5'2" riding a small and the fit is perfect for me. It is not the lightest bike but i can heft it in and out of my Equibox and avoid a bike rack. It has one bottle cage mount and comfortable ergo grips. It is my first step through and it handles as well as any step over without the mounting issues for a shorter rider.

None-i love it!

Price Paid:
Model Year:
2020
[Oct 22, 2013]
Catherine

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, stable, a well made bike. Mine is actually a 2007 ish.

Heavy. I lug it off and on the commuter bus rack a couple times/day. (But my arms have gotten stronger!)

My son convinced me to buy this after many years without a bike, my last a Raleigh 10 speed pre-children era. I have some numbness in my hands and so this was a nice start back to riding. I now use it much more as I have ditched the car for bike/bus/run commuting to work and shopping. I commute no more than six miles at a time, but some pretty long tough hills, having all the gears is great, I can go wherever I need to go.

[Mar 15, 2013]
EZ Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Very well made for this price point.

Not sure there are weaknesses for the casual rider. Ride this and take the time to properly set it up and then you have an excellent ride. Rate it in haste and you will be missing out on a great bike.

I have owned Cannondale and Trek models, Electra Townie and the Crosscountry Sport with thus far is the best for it's nimble handling and smooth EZ Shifter. I like this one. Well made and smooth operation is my experience.
Don't compare this to high end road bikes. The Specialized Crossroads Sport is not that calibre of rider, it's for pure enjoyment, that's all and after all, isn't that the point of a comfort bike?

[Jan 26, 2011]
MadCyclist

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb proof frame, glassy-smooth and super stable ride, and virtually unaffected by Oregon's cold soggy winter weather. Great for "around town" cruising around, and short distance commuting.

Cheap crappy unreliable component group (to be expected in this price range). A little too 'upright' for my liking. I also hated the suspension seapost and had it replaced. Also the handlebar grips kept slipping.

I bought this bike brand new back in 2004 to replace my aging and falling apart beater department store hybrid. It was the first "quality" bike I ever bought with my own money, and I instantly fell in love with this bike right away. The ride was super smooth, super stable, and the comfort level was that of an over-plush reclining chair. i remember jokingly calling it the Lincoln Town Car of bikes. Within a few months I moved up to Eugene,OR, I then started having problems with the components. Cables were snapping, the chain & cassette quickly wore out affecting shifting horribly, the right twist shifter broke, and the rear derailler's bolt on hanger misteriously got bent. One day the rear derailer got caught & jammed in the spokes while downshifting on a climb. I then decided that Specialized makes an inferior product instead of blaming the cheapo components (I had absolutely no knowledge bike components at the time). It was actually a great solid frame built with cheap crappy components which is to be expected at this price range. I eventually ended up giving it to an old hippie. Come to think of it I kinda miss that bike...

Various beater department store hybrid and mountain bikes, early '90s Giant Farragon, '97 Giant Upland, early '90s Trail Ridge Trailhead.

[Jun 28, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

all-around capabilities/comfortable seat/great components

nothing so far

I was really in a difficult decision. I wanted something that performed very well on the road but had some capability off of pavement. This bike pleasantly surprised me. The seat was incredibly comfortable and the gears shifted without any hitch or rattle. And the suspension on the front fork provided the off road confidence i was searching for. I cant rave enough about this bike which just happened to be very moderately priced along with everything else.

[Apr 22, 2008]
Bob

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable. Durable. Reliable. Quality material.

Not motorized. Ha ha.

My wife and I bought 2 Crossroads over 12 years ago before our children were born. These bikes are incredibly comfortable. My wife's friend rode hers once and said, "Wow, this is a really nice bike." So it is.

Over 12 years of riding and we have not had one problem out of these bikes. We haven't even had a flat. Nearly all of the riding has been on paved surface, however. Still, I have ridden my LeMond over these same surfaces and suffered over a dozen flats.

Great bike. Comfortable ride. I would buy it again.

Rode friends' Schwinns and WalMart type bikes. YUCK!

[Mar 30, 2008]
R. L. Swenson

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality of components, fairly light, ability to traverse many different types of terrain, comfort, reliability.

None so far ( 3 1/2 years).

Both my wife and I purchased Specialized Crossroads Sports bikes about 3 1/2 years ago. We tried Schwinn, Trek, Raleigh and many others. The components on the Specialized were a notch above all others and we found the utility and comfort of these bikes first rate. The Crossroads bikes were in addition to our road bikes (Trek 7500s) and fulfilled our desire to traverse varied terrain. Being seniors and retired we wanted bikes that would be easy on the budget and the But. I opted for the rear rack to provide a platform for my insulated pack (drinks, lunch etc.). Also I installed a Cat Eye Mitty odometer and a front fork pack for our extra tubes, inflators, allen wrenches etc.. To date we have ridden nearly 3000 miles on varied terrain in Georgia and Florida. That includes beach riding, rail trails, rural roads and off road trails. The only failure so far was a flat tire due to a cactus spine puncture. The bikes have held up very well and have only a little rust on the alignment nut adjustments for the handlebars in a salt rich environment. I replaced my saddle with a more performance type but that's all. My wife and I are very happy with the quality and comfort of these Crossroad bikes.

Trek road bikes, many rentals through the years.

[Jun 04, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very durable,fast, very comfortable

Rimbands are very cheap and spoke ends tend to pinch tubes. replaced with rim tape

This is a great bike! It is very versitle. Its great on almost any path or road.This bike even goes through grassy fields with ease. Its very comfortable!I never thought a bike could be so comfortable. This bike is also very fast.I have been able to keep up and maintain a pace with some road bikes although I have not went any great distance with them.This bike is very durable.I have had 1 flat to the rear tire.The spoke ends actually pinched my innertube.I replaced the rubberband thing with some rim tape. I havnt had any other problems.

old balloon tire bike

[May 29, 2003]
mahughesnh

OVERALL
Strength:

Good component set for the price, aluminum frame, comfortable seat, price

None so far

I had a hard time deciding between this bike and the Trek 7100 but decided the Crossroad Sport was a better value. The bike shop was wonderful in helping me make my decision. This bike is wonderful. Everything works as it should, it is comfortable to ride, and goes like heck! If you are looking for a comfort or hybrid bike this is the one to get.

Test rode Trek 7100 only.