Giant TCR Composite 1 2003 Road Bike

[Nov 27, 2004]
benwah

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Compliant, agile.

Seat post is mickey mouse. Compact design leaves bar too low for some.

Simply the best bike I've ridden in 10 years. First of all, for the money you can't really go wrong with this bike. My bike, set up with ultegra and other middle/upper range components, weighs 17lbs. If I wanted to I could easily get 15lbs. or less. Furthermore, the bike is very stiff. I'm a fairly strong 165lb. rider and do not notice any flex. However, the carbon does it's job and takes the edge off any bumps in the road. The bike also handles very good. It's agile without being twitchy. In fact, it's the easiest bike I've had to ride no-handed. There are a few things about this bike that people may want to consider before buying. First, the chainstays are very short. So short in fact that if any debris sticks to the rear tire it may scratch the seat tube. Also, this may hinder tire selection. Next, the compact design make it so the bar is very low. You may want to use a +degree stem with this bike. Lastly, the seat post is a pain to dial in. I'm not sure why but I just couldn't get it where I wanted it. So I sold the post. Really, all this stuff is minor. The bike is really great and I'm very happy.

Trek 5200

[Aug 30, 2004]
Avenolpey

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality, stiffness, vibration damping, handling.

Cosmetics

Exceeded my expectations. I went from a 1970's Raleigh fixed gear track bike to the TCR Composite 1. Unbelievable stiffness, responsiveness, stability and comfort. With stem adjustment I was able to get a great fit. I am 5'10.5 with 33 inch inseam and the medium worked great.

Trek, Klein, Specialized, Merckx

[Aug 12, 2004]
barton fink

OVERALL
Strength:

see above

rode a trek oclv before this, the tcr is lighter and quicker, I'm 6'2'' 185 lbs. and the large fits me great, compact geometry is actually better I think, frame really weighs what they claim as opposed to other bike companies which lie horribly about weight, my bike is 16.1 lbs total, it's a great bike, I recommend it highly

trek oclv bikes

[Jul 22, 2004]
papafrog

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast, floats up hill, super inexpensive for the quality. I think someone once said, "light, cheap, strong, pick any two". Well, with this bike, you can have all three.

None that I can think of. The sizing of the frames makes it ultra important you get fit right for the bike though.

I bought this bike practically new on eBay and it's my first venture into carbon and I have not been disappointed in the least. In fact, this bike has by far exceeded my expectations even after reading the fantastic reviews on it here before buying (so I already had high expectations). The bike just wills you on and is so much fun to ride that you just want to keep going. Uphills are unbelievable, the bike just goes, leaping forward. I'm able to ascend quicker b/c I can throw it in a slightly bigger gear and still pedal with the same cadence I had with my prior bike. On hilly undulating terrain, the bike floats, cruising over hills. I noticed my recovery time is better also which helps my stamina obviously. On flats, the bike is responsive and really goes. The frame is plenty stiff with no flex at all but is so smooth over bumbs. FYI, I'm 5'10 and 140 pounds so flex really never was a problem for me anyway. There really is no comparision with my former aluminum frame and this beast. Go get this bike, you will not regret it.

Cannondale R1000

[May 30, 2004]
jpsomner

OVERALL
Strength:

weight (lack thereof), appearance, fit and finish, build quality, comfort, stability

carbon fiber spacers from headset to stem are not dead-on exactly identical in diameter to each other. it took me 20 minutes of scrutinous examination to discover this single flaw.

a beautiful bike, the exposed carbon fiber is so impressive . extremely light, fast, smooth, comfortable and stable. i look forward to every ride. it is amazingly comfortable on longer rides. im 5'11" and giant's sizing guidelines are right on, see their website. mine came with a #3 seatpost and my dimensions require a #4 (not a problem thanks to ebay). my first serious road bike, i dont think there is any better for the money. i spent a month reviewing and comparing before purchase and this particular bike just jumped out above the rest in every aspect. im very pleased with this bike and proud to own it. i recommend it without reservation.

cannondale, fuji

[Apr 05, 2004]
plarrier

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff bottom end, full Ultegra, smooth without muting the road feel, great components all around. You can ride all day with this thing and not sacifice on performance or comfort. Awesome value. Nothing comes close at this price/performance break. Strong enough for a strong club rider at 6'4' 240lbs.

Not made in the USA. The seat is light and stiff (ouch for us big guys). Graphics take a little to get use too.

This is a great bike. Stiffer than you would think. If you are willing to change the seatpost, stem and crank arms can get you a perfect fit. This bike is very stable at speed and feels right at home in a crit. Open sprints are no problem and with the stiff bottom end up hill accelerations are amazing. The matt black finish will match anything and apparrel and accessories. This XL frame with profile carbon areo bars is 18.1 lbs. Ready to ride with 2 full bottles and full spare kit is under 21.5 lbs. Ultegra is liquid smooth unless you are use to Dura-Ace.

CAAD6, TCR Aero, & Trek 5200. All sounds products as well.

[Mar 20, 2004]
schwany

OVERALL
Strength:

Felt almost as good as my 18 year old cromo. The fit of the medium frame was perfect for me at 5'9" and 169 lbs. I liked the bike.

Rear end is a tad lively on downhills with bumps in turn entries. However, that is probably me not being familiar with 5 lbs. of weight off the frame. Can't use Aero seat post with correct frame size for upper body and my short inseam. I gave it a 4 on value because of the seat post issue and there are cheaper equally configured composite bikes out that weigh less.

I test road one of these on a variety of road conditions with a low gear climb thrown in for grins. About 12 miles total. I really was surprized at how little difference there was between this high-tech bike and my 18 year old iron antique. All the talk about smooth riding must be coming from early adopters of alloy frame bikes, or bicycle shop employees. The bike didn't not accellerate any faster than my oldie. But it was slightly more forgiving in the hills and climbs. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it was deep discounted (30%+)from a dealer or was a clean unit from a private party. I ride every day averaging 600+ miles a month. I'm probably overly accustomed to my old bike, but the old thing is a smooth fast ride. The Giant Comp 1 weighs 5 lbs. less than my old iron, but that 5 lbs. didn't translate into magic. What it did translate into at a 25% discount off retail was $400 per lbs. I'm 53 years old, so take this review with a grain of salt, since I probably pinch pennies a lot more than a younger rider would. It is a good bike for the money and the dealers that sell them stand behind them.

None really, since cromo is so yesterday

[Mar 13, 2004]
camgem

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbing, the stock components, build quality and appearance.

Haven't found any yet. I am really happy with it so far.

This is a really good looking bike (nude carbon). It is stock except for nthe Easton Carbon seatpost and the Fizik seat. I like the way this bike climbs and how it feels when I hammer. I am a big and strong guy and it is a kick to feel every ounce of power surging the bike forward. ALso, on descents it is like a fighter plane. I am a mountain biker and bought this road bike for training. It is so much fun I sometime give up a mtb ride for a road ride. NO bike has ever gotten me to do that before. I think it is am incredible value for the money.

Trek, Canondale, Klein, Giant.

[Dec 31, 2003]
diggolf

OVERALL
Strength:

Price Weight Looks fantastic(nude carbon) Terrific handling characteristics Price(deserves double mention) People think that you spent alot more than you did(which might be a weakness if you ride with your boss).

Stock wheelset(Mavic Cosmos)

I bought this bike just in time for the 1/2 iron distance Great Floridian Tri this October. My tri bike was an excellent Cannondale Ironman 2000 but I started feeling beat up on rides over 40 miles. After reading the reviews, I honed in on this bike. I would have liked to purchase the TCR0 with Dura-Ace but there were none to be had(especially at the 2003 yearend pricing). I have been EXTREMELY HAPPY with this bike. The stock wheelset is a bit on the heavyside so I switched my Mavic Kysriums over and have been flying in comfort. With tax, the purchase price came out just over $2K~J&R was nice enough to discount it below $2K so that I could tell my wife that I spent under $2K(a few bucks makes a big difference in perception). For the 1/2 Great Floridian, I put my set of HED3 trispokes on and a Syntace Ultralight aero-bar and was in heaven. I was so concerned about how good I felt on the run that I held back on my effort until it was too late to take advantage of how kind this bike was to my body(with a much faster bike split than last year). After seeing the new 2004 spec with FSA Team Issue cranks, I bought a set from Performance and had them installed about two weeks ago~seems like everything that I do just makes a great bike better. Later on, I'll probably put a lighter handlebar/stem and Dura-Ace shifters/derailleur. I like the stiffness of the Ultegra brakes. All in all, just a fantastic bike!! A real keeper!!!

Cannondale R800, Cannondale Ironman 2000

[Dec 24, 2003]
djgiant

OVERALL
Strength:

Great climber, light weight, beautiful frame. Great value!

Limited sizes, decals falling off.

Light, responsive and damm sexy. Test rode several other bikes in same price range, but knew this was in a class by itself. Climbs like a goat and the Michelin Pro Race tires practically glue you to the road. I was fortunate that I found a size from Giant's limited range that fit me. I put 2000k on this bike to date, and have no regrets with my purchase, except for the service at the shop. The chain rubbed in 39, 11,12 13 & 14. They sent me away saying it was normal!!! I went to Road Bike Review, discussions, and was told to put a 3mm spacer behind my BB. Now only rubs on 11. Problem solved.

Trek 5200. Lemond Zurich. Cannondale CADD 3.