Klein Bicycle Corporation Q-Carbon Team 2003 Road Bike

[Oct 02, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Gimme more hills!! Compact-geometry frame ride comfort gives an awesome power transfer. Gotta love that bright orange paint-job!

Just can't get 100% happy with the Ultegra front derailler - no matter what the bike. Otherwise, no complaints at all!

2003 Klein Q Carbon Team (56cm equivalent - compact geometry).... a wonderful machine which is terrific on hills and an overall super comfortable ride. Compact geometry and eye-catching paint-job means everyone you fly past will give this sexy machine a second look.

Test-rode a Trek 2200. Also not a bad bike - just boring.

[Jul 27, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, reponsive frame with exceptional attention to detail. Welds are smooth, internal cable routing is a great feature and gradient tubing make this thing a work of art. Ultegra components have held up great. Bontrager Race Lite wheels are a little above average for this price point, though there are much better wheels out there. The Race Lite tires in my experience were great, I had relatively few flats and got about 2500 miles out of them, about half of those winter miles on roads with lots of debris. They're also wicked fast.

Some so-so components. Bontrager stem, seat post and bar are all mediocre and heavy (especially the seat post, the clamp is just freaking huge, is that really necessary for a road bike?). The fork looks nice, but is also fairly average (520 gram Race Lite, with an aluminum crown and steerer). One other caveat: the frame has a integrated headset, but the Race Lite fork is not an integrated type. This exposes the lower bearings a little and just isn't as nice looking as if the fork were wider at the crown. Kind of lame. Luckily, I haven't had to replace the bearings. They are pretty durable, and a good cleaning every few hundred miles kept them running just fine. Mostly just an aesthetic issue overall.

1 year and 6,000 miles later this bike is still going strong. This is my sole road bike, so I did my winter training on it as well as races. Excellent frame, the thing is a work of art. The Ultegra components have held up great, even through the monsoon season of the Pacific NW. Compared to other road bikes I've ridden, the Klein compact geometry with relaxed angles really suited me and my mountain bike background. A really stable decender and a rocket up hills. The small rear triangle is stout. Not sure if the carbon stays do much in terms of shock absorbtion because of the small rear triangle, but they don't budge or give one bit. The Bontrager wheels are simple and reliable. I've serviced both hubs and they are remarbeably simple (front one is simple a hollow pipe with bearings and an axle pressed in!). They aren't particularly light (~1720 grams for the set) but are stiff and responsive, especially on climbs and corners.

First road bike, have tested various other bikes

[Nov 05, 2003]
Tristan

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, speed

Strange noise that sounds like seat post hits the inside of the frame over bumps.

I've only put about 500 miles on the bike but am very happy with it so far. It is light, fast and most importantly comfortable. The carbon fork and seat stay makes a big difference. Ultegra components are great and I am also very happy with the Bontraeger Race Lite Wheelset

[Oct 29, 2003]
djawahir

OVERALL
Strength:

Carbon fork and stays, Klein quality and paint job, beautiful welds, internal cable routing. This is a definitely a head turner.

none so far

I came from a mountain biking background and was looking to do a few extra miles during the week when I couldn't hit the trails. So I started looking at some road bikes. I spent a little more than I originally planned for, but I got what I wanted. So it was worth it for me in the end. I ride a Klein Adept mountain bike so I know the quality of a Klein. That helped in my decision. The compact frame is a little stiffer than conventional. The carbon fork and stays are stiff and soak up road vibration very well. I added a carbon seatpost to the setup which pretty much killed any other road vibration that made its way to my rear end. Extremely comfortable ride. The geometry is excellent. It is comfortable and gives me great handling and control. It is everything I could have asked for in a road bike. Klein just makes great bikes.

I test rode the Trek 2300, Lemond Zurich, Cannondale R800, Giant OCR1.

[Sep 25, 2003]
mike s

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, ride,acceleration, color, color, color. Did I mention I like the color!

Bontrager race lite tires. That's it!

Purchased this bike about 3 months ago, Have about 600 miles on it. Just finished the MS 150. Did the century loop on the first day. What a ride! This bike rides like a dream. Carbon fork and seat stay really soaks up the bumps. The color is awesome, I get many compliments on it. It's bright but I like bright colors so it works for me. Bike is very light and responsive. Climbs well and accelerates like a rocket. I'm stil fiddling with the saddle. Came stock with a Selle San Marco Era Luxe. I've tried a couple of other saddles but I seem to keep going back to the Era Luxe. I did do a centurty on it and was not too sore when finished. I guess you can't ask for more than that. I did chang ethe tires. Came with Bontrager Race Lites. Theses tires had numerous cuts in the tread in a short time. Got one flat but it was a small sliver of metal that went straight in so no tire would have stopped that. Anyhow, I went with Tufo tubular clinchers. Reviews on these tires are great, we'll see.

No similar bikes used. I came from a 10 year old 35 pound hybrid. No comparison.

[Sep 09, 2003]
keck Baker

OVERALL
Strength:

Light,rigid,very smooth with the carbon rear,and of course Kleins legendary paint

none so far

I tested many other bikes before making my decision and this was the best bike out of the lot for under 2000. THe power transfer is amazing. I set up a sprint line to check out my spin at the end. My decision had come down between the jamis,fuji team super and the klein. The Klein hands down put way more power to the ground. It was amazing. I used the same gear ratio for the bikes. THe klein got up to speed a little over half way. With the others I was exellerating all the way to the line. I do not know if this makes any differance on long rides but I did the little bit of testing that I could. The Klein also feels smoother than my steel frame. Not nearly as light as the fuji but the fuji was mushy and all over the place. the fuji is good if you way about 140 and under. So i chose power transfer and comfort. The klein was alot comfier. It soaks up the bumps amazingly and holds a line. I love this bike!

canopus steel

[Aug 28, 2003]
Sorni

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, smooth, gorgeous, quiet.

None really. *MAYBE* some slight flexing when really standing and mashing (tiny bit of rub; may just be adjustments). Rear wheel was slightly off-center; turned out to be some hardened paint in the drop-out. Filed it; seems perfect now.

I've been a mountain biker for ~7 years, but this is my first road bike since the '70s. Started out with a ~$1200 budget, but well, you know :) Choice came down to the Lemond entry-level Titanium bike and the Klein; ride seemed equally smooth on both, so opted for lower price/better fit (toe overlap on Lemond pretty severe). Got sort of a deal on price, as bike had a nasty chip in the gorgeous paint job (right on top tube). Got some t/u paint but it's still blemished; worth saving $250 tho' to me (probably wouldn't have bought the bike @1850). So far I love the bike -- it makes me want to ride it every time I look at it! The ride is very comfortable to me (despite being new to the roads), and the carbon fork/seat stays really do seem to dampen vibration effectively. For a newbie, I think I did very well. Maybe some day I'll want higher-end stuff, but for now Ultegra and the pretty orange-red Klein are just fine!

Test rode some Fujis (steel and Al) and Jamis; was very tempted by the Lemond Ti for 2K, but the Klein was just as nice (AND came with a better wheelset I heard).

[Aug 11, 2003]
Stella

OVERALL
Strength:

Ditto on all other reviews: Weight, comfort, handling, componentry and, again, color.

Haven't found any yet.

Wanting to upgrade from an old, used Diamondback and stay w/in a fixed budget for the purpose of a few races a year and numerous recreational rides per season (ranging from 30-100 miles per), I tried a few different bikes. One being the Trek 5200 (USPS) at 2x the price. The Klein (which I hadn't even previously considered until I came upon it at another bike shop I stopped at) outperformed hands down. With a few minor fit modifications, my riding has improved greatly in respect to speed and ability. Color? I love it.

[Jul 22, 2003]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, carbon seat stay, all Ultegra, great paint job, stiff enough for racing but comfortable enough for longer distance riding.

A little less stiff than the Trek, and doesn't climb as well as the Trek, but holds it's own on the hills.

Take into consideration that I'm new to road bikes and my knowledge level on this topic is nominal. With a budget of $1800, my search came down to three bikes: Trek 2300, Giant TC2 and the Klein Q Carbon Team. Test rode them all. For my type of ride, which is a moderate workout of 10-20 miles, the Klein seemed to fit me the best. The Trek was nice, but too stiff for me (but good for those who need a stiff ride.) The Trek seemed to climb better than the others, but I was looking for a little more comfort. The Giant was comparable to the Trek, but not as nice components. The Klein is light, comfortable, the perfect transitional bike if you're moving from Hybrid to Road bike and rides like a dream. All Ultegra components, carbon fork AND CARBON SEAT STAY make this bike a great value. Perhaps the Trek is better for diehard racers, but if you're like me and want to workout with a little more comfort and at a higher speed than you're used to with your Hybrid, test-ride the Klein. I had a Trek 7500fx which is a very good hybrid fitness bike, but I wanted to move to the next level of riding. After a month of riding the Klein, I still believe I made the right selection. My average speed with my Trek hybrid during a typical moderate workout was 13mph. I now average 15 with the Klein with the same effort, and can push the big chain ring to 25mph on the flats...something I was never able to do with the Trek. And if a 215 pound guy like me can do that, imagine what a lighter person can do.

Trek 2300, Giant TC2

[Jun 14, 2003]
DRAwpt

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightness, stiffness, handling and geometry are all optimized for a racing, but the bike is comfortable enough for a century.

Some might find the sloping geometry and bright paintjob not to their liking.

The frame is light, responsive, and comfortable. The Spec is spot-on for the price-range. A great bike that will fit a range of riders and abilities. The paint job is very eye-catching (although it takes some getting used to).

specialized M2 PRO