Merlin Metalworks Inc. Cielo Record 2003 Road Bike

[Nov 03, 2006]
Jonathan Cooper

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks, Build quality and lug work is exceptional.
Ride is extremely smooth

I did have an interesting moment when flying along in France at c 45 mph - a resonance was induced either in the Mavic wheels or frame and the whole bike started to 'move' and twist underneath me - only solved by bailing out...

Price is frame only. Beautiful frame which once I had seen and read the reports I wanted to find one.

I have used it for c 6 months and it is silky smooth. Gets lots of attention and a pleasure to ride.

Casati Geo Steel frame

[Feb 24, 2003]
shadowblade

OVERALL
Strength:

Super comfortable. Frame lugs are works of art and the overall quality of carbon tubes and jointing are excellent. Finishing on BB, Dropouts, cable stops and Headset races are the finest i have seen in 40 years of cycling. I am very sure that this model will go down very well with matured / experienced cyclists who want the "End All".

I definitely spent too much on this bike ! Have to be very carefull how you Wall Hang this bike - Bought a Well Padded Migura adjustable telescopic hanger which just manages to carry the bike on the titanium parts of the top tube. Will need to employ a security guard if i leave it unattended in public. Lastly - my wife (who used to race bikes) says it's UGLY.

Set up the bike with the best combination possible of Carbon parts - Seat Post, handle bar, Stem, Reynolds Ouzo Pro Carbon Fork and a pair of Phil Wood 32 spoke Alloy hubs (Specially modified to use 10 Speed Campy compatible Titanium cogs) laced to Mavix CXP 33 rims with 13 gauge Titanium spokes. Yes ! i was looking for long distance comfort and nil road vibration. The Final touch was a Fizik Aliante seat and Conti 3000 tyres. For my many bikes and years of riding i think i have found a true "SOUL MATE" on this build as i find that i still feel so relaxed and strong even after a 75 Km ride including some hills - standing and cranking seems so natural on this compared to my Pinarello Prince and Litespeed Classic. The overall comfortable/secure feeling is perhaps the stiffness of the material and geometry combined with the shock absorption properties of carbon/Titanium.

This is my first TLC (Titanium Lugged Carbon). I am building a PASSONI tlc for the mrs and this comparison should be interesting. Let you know.