Sampson Sports Inc. Silverton Record 2003 Road Bike

[Apr 21, 2004]
sc235813

OVERALL
Strength:

Great frame overall: both in ride and execution. I'm smaller so Ti piping suites me better and aluminium. It doesn't have the oomph of steel, but that's because it's Ti! Eric was a pleasure to work with. In fact, I liked the process better than many an LBS because the interaction wasn't overdone. Strikes me as an honest guy who loves his work and does a damn fine job of it to boot. I intend to buy from him again (what, I'm not sure... but I'll find something.)

My top tube slopes a bit. I hate that. On the other hand, Eric did it because it makes for a better fit. But I'm superficial. The look is important to me. The next time, I'll insist on a top tube that's parallel to the ground. No ifs ands or buts.

A great bike at a great value. Not as stiff as some frames (Ti or otherwise) but from my viewpoint this is an asset, not a liability. I opted for the bare look with yellow older style decals. It compares well to it's better known (and pricier!) Ti brethern. I've put in (I dunno really...) about 1,500 miles so far on this bike and it rides extremely well. The Record group is a great match and the Proton wheels are as good as I'll ever need. I remember well using the old super/nuovo record stuff... boy have things improved.

A couple of custom frames on w/Record stuff (older of course). But really, I don't race anymore so I ride a lot of fixed-gear stuff. I got this because for some reason I believe that everyone should have a road bike in order to fully appreciate the beauty of getting fixed.

[Jan 28, 2003]
Biking PA

OVERALL
Strength:

The reduction in weight from my previous bike was very noticable and the bike accelerates great. My hill climbing "ability" has also improved. The bike welds were flawless and even impressed a friend of mine that does custom welding. The Campy Record of course is top of the line and it shifts like a dream. I think that the bike is a excellent value for what I paid and compares very favorably with other bikes such as Litespeed at a much lower cost. I think that the carbon bars and carbon fork do help a great deal smoothing out the chipseal roads and damping the vibration. The ride is very smooth and the Hotter-N-Hell 100 was much more enjoyable this year on my Silverton. For my type of riding Eric's suggestions of the Campy Proton wheels and the Michelin Axial Carbon tires were right on. Totally maintence free so far despite some rough country roads. I also think that having the chance to talk with Eric Sampson in person and use his obvious knowledge in helping pick out the bike of my dreams was a definate plus.

After 1000 miles I can honestly say NONE. I have been extremely happy with the bike and my decision to buy from Sampson. I have not even had a flat and the wheels are as true as the day that they arrived despite the terrible roads I ride on. Very minor adjustment on the rear derailler is all that I have had to do on the bike and this was probably just related to cable stretch.

After reading postings on this website in regards to reasonably priced titanium bikes I did research on Sampson Sports and found out nothing besides excellent reviews. I was somewhat unhappy with my previous bike setup and discussed with Eric Sampson my problems (neck/shoulder pain). He felt that after sending him my measurements that he could fit me with a bike without having to go to a custom frame and the end result was a perfect fit. He must have spent at least 45 minutes on the phone discussing my purchase, various components, where to save money and where to spend it to upgrade my bike. This was in addition to multiple e-mails and faxes that I sent to him. I am very pleased with his suggestions and the end result. I had no reservations about ordering the bike over the Internet/phone and would do it again. I got the impression that I received more attention from him then if I had gone into a local bike shop. The bike was extremely easy to set up and it took almost as much time to take off the protective packaging as it did to finish putting the bike together. I would strongly encourage anyone interested in a titanium bike to look at the Sampson Website and talk with Eric before making a final decision.

Peugeot PX-10 (1974) Campy equipped