Sampson Sports Inc. z9 Record 2003 Road Bike

[Jul 16, 2003]
Alan Gale

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame - stiff for climbing and sprinting, smooth (due to SAS) for the long haul, it's the best of all worlds. The ride is so quiet, I'm not used to that. Components - Sampson does a wonderful job of selecting the components. I was very impressed with how stiff and comfortable the Kestrel carbon bar is. Customer Service - Very friendly, very knowledgeable, very fast (waited one week for build, then 3 or 4 days for delivery). They went out of their way to make sure I was happy (even changing the color of the bar tape because they thought what I had selected didn't look good. However, they sent me free bar tape in the color I chose just in case.) Wow, this bike is fast and comfy.

Now I'm the weakest link. The bike is fit for the pro peloton, yet I am not.

I was a little sceptical about ordering a bicycle over the phone, however when I received everything ON TIME it was perfect, the fit, the finish, quality, everthing. Eric Sampson really knows what he's doing, the fit was spot on for the type of riding I do and my size. Everthing was packaged very well and the bike (and front wheel) arrived in perfect condition. This bike is TRICK!! The frame is beautiful. The ride is stiff, yet totally comfortable. It sprints and climbs unlike anything, yet it is totallyl comfortable on long rides. The SAS system really absorbs the vibrations, the bike feels awesome. The frame is totally trick with carbon seat stays, and the hydroformed aluminum-magnesium tubes are more technically advanced and beautiful than anything I've seen (I worked in a bike shop for many years, so I know what I'm talking about). The component selection is incredible. Campy Record is by far the best (I've ridden Shimano DA and Ult for ever). It took me about 1/2 hour to adjust to the Campy shifting. The bars, stem, wheels, seat post, saddle, and tires all work perfectly. Great selection, I could not have done better myself. Bottom line, this bike is wonderful. A total dream machine. The ride is incredible and makes me feel like a hero. Sampson is the diamond in the rough. It's a wonderful bike which should cost thousands more than what they sell them for.

Bontrager Road Lite. Giant CFR (older one). Specialized Allez.

[May 25, 2003]
Kevin Hemstreet

OVERALL
Strength:

Sampsonsports customer service. From the first phone contact with Eric Sampson on, this purchase has been nothing less than outstanding. The old axiom "You get what you pay for" does not apply here, you get more than your moneys worth. The value exceeds that of bicycles such as Litespeed, Merlin and the like. Sampson's choice of components is triely exceptional. Kestrel carbon bar, Easton carbon seatpost, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, a wide range of group choices.

The Campy Record 10 ergo shifters were a little hard getting used to having riden on Shimano previously. But the Campy systems does make more sense and given time I think I will prefer them. after 200 miles the cables are starting to stretch and the shifting is not as accurate and crisp.

My second ride on this awesome machine was the Cruisin the Conejo Century. I fininshed 20 minutes ahead of last years time and I had more energy afterward. All this on a reduced training schedule. I am very pleased with this bike. The comfort is outstanding, Eric Sampson really knows how to build frames that reduce road vibration. The Sampson Attenuation System really works wonders. My only complaint is due to initial setup. Initially the handlebar stem came to me angled for a more upright riding position with almost 2" of spacers. On my first ride I felt like I was riding on my wife's hybrid the handlebar was so high. I have since turned the stem around for some improvement, although the handlebar is still somewhat higher than my liking. Other people on the CTC century took notice of the yellow pearl paint and a De Rosa rider remarked about the beauty of the frame. Any of you that are metal workers or engineers will appreciate the hydroformed tubes on this frame. Having the gussets molded in to the tubes is pure art. Eventhough this is a compact frame I have not noticed the lateral flexiness inhertent in compact frames.

Specialized Allez w/ DuraAce.