Santa Cruz Roadster 2003 Road Bike

[Apr 30, 2015]
mark hagen

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightish, high bottom bracket, stiff rear triangle

front triangle a little soft, no replaceable drop outs (first gen/year), rear does not take anything larger than a 25c tire, as of 2015 they are old and becoming tough to find. Fitment is weird.

I set my roadster up as a 1x10 crit bike (with a 44t narrow-wide ring) and its awesome. The high bottom bracket makes for a great corner-er, its stiff and gets a lot of looks. Plus i just picked it up on fleebay for 200 bucks so if i wreck it in a crit, financially wont be that bad but i will be heart broken because i luv this bicci!

[Dec 27, 2008]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, aero, coolness factor

a little hefty, they don't make 'em any more.

Built this up as a time trial bike and it has performed superbly. I'm 195 lbs and have experienced little flex at all. After some trial and error getting the position right, this thing flies. It's stiff, handles well, and is relatively light, though certainly not a bike I would rebuild as a climber. Best of all, when I show up to the occasional tri, it's the only one there among a sea of Treks and Cervelos. It definitely gets compliments

S-Works e5

[Dec 07, 2003]
chadrob

OVERALL
Strength:

Super stiff frame and light weight. Aero tubing makes the bike very fast on descents. Climbs well.

I have noticed some flex in the top tube, but relate that to my large 200lb frame pushing on it!

The Roadster is a very fast, stiff bike. The roadster tracks very well on fast descents and climbs just as good. The ride quality is a little harsh for those coming off a steel frame, but the EC90 fork and EC70 seatpost eliminate most of the vibration. Absolutely no problems with the bike or the Ultegra group after 6,000 miles. Santa Cruz quality at its best.

KHS Flite 500, Univega.

[Feb 13, 2003]
sbw

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light weight, stiff yet comfortable.

I dont find any.

The bike is fast. I'm comparing this to my experince with my Trusty Eddy Merckx. It's a huge different between this bike. Roaster can take cornering faster and accelerate so much faster than Merckx. It's also so much stiffer than Merckx. The USE seatpost really state-of-art carbon post where it absorb the harshness of the road very very well. Easton EC90 too work extremely well. EC90 is stiff yet comfortable ride.The Santa Cruz package is fantastic!

1990 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra Columbus SLX with 8sp Dura Ace. CXP33 rims, Cinelli Handlebar, Cinelli 1-A Quill stem 120mm, Tioga tires

[Jan 18, 2003]
Chainring Tattoo

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame looks fast. The bottom bracket area was redesigned. The swapable dropouts are cool. Plush ride. Great frame for small or light riders.

The top tube flexes like a flyrod fishing pole, pushed hard, the bike is scary. The front triangle feels like its not attached to the back end. After finishing a time trial, I sat up, took my hands off the bars and the thing developed a highspeed shimmy that nearly caused me to crash. This wasn't due to rider error either. The botom bracket was lowered causing me to strike pedals while pedaling through corners. The bike is so close to being the ultimate crit/time trail bike its scary. All it needs is a much larger diameter toptube. Large riders will have flex issues.

After breaking the first 3 frames I got the 03 model after waiting 7 months. I looked it over and discovered that the frame had been redesigned. The downtube barrel ajusters now worked, the fame looks good. I wish I could give it a better rating. I am a big rider and I break things. I expect an overwieght 3.3 lb roadframe to be stiff and solid, this one isn't. I ride a 19lb (2.75 lb frame)mtn bike that I have had for 4 years. I have never broken a part on it, I think that makes a road frame that is almost half a pound heaver a little suspect when 3 of them break in exactly the same place.

2 first gen and 1 2nd generation frames

[Nov 21, 2002]
neuroslug

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, responsive, light. Ksyriums. It looks so so sexy.

Less comfortable than a steel bike. Ultegra may not make everyone happy (buy the frameset then)

To address reviews of earlier models of the Roadster: The '03 fixes all of the shortcomings. The BB welding has been redone. Oh, and it's got a GODLY Easton EC-90 carbon fork on it now. Anyhow, I love this bike. It's a speed demon. It loves to be sprinted on. The stiff, aluminum frame combined with the Ksyrium wheels make it oh so fast and rigid. It handles extremely well. It cuts corners effortlessly. No shakiness or unpredictability here. I rode a Ritchey frame road bike in comparison.. this one feels so much more responsive (well.. aluminum vs. steel). Get it!

Bianchi Boron, Ritchey / Dura-Ace setup, Lemond Maillot Jaime.