Scattante R-550 2003 Road Bike

[Nov 01, 2008]
senorwillis

OVERALL
Strength:

Wonderful frame for my 135lbs 5'4" self. Very light for aluminum and minimal flex even as I kick with all I've got in low gears. Stable geometry on mountain descents. 105 components are excellent. stock drop bar is strong enough for the aerobar mounts. I'm surprised the brakes are holding up well despite spewing lots of dust

Alex rims held up for about 500 miles then couldn't keep true. The rim tape would shift too giving me plenty of flats.

Cassette and chain wore quickly.

goofy oversized "SCATTANTE" graphics everywhere--pretty silly and covered by reflective tape anyways

Wonderful frame for my 135lbs 5'5" self. I have 3000 miles on a 50cm. I use this bike for a 64 mile round-trip commute and keep it light save for some wrist-saving aerobars. I also use this for 5-7 hour day rides and mountain climbs.

specialized allez triple, roubaix, trek 1000

[Oct 28, 2006]
Danerbell

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and responsive. As another reviewer said, it doesn't have any snob appeal, however it receives a lot of attention on its own because of its name.

I love to ride this bike so much and spend so much time on it that my family is going to forget who I am.

I've only owned this bike for 3 months and I've put about 1000 miles on it. I LOVE this bike. I found it used on-line. It was a great deal. I had tried out a variety of bikes before finding this deal. (I would have bought a bike locally but the deal on this bike was too good to pass up.) I wanted a full Shimano 105 set-up and many other bikes with those components were priced much higher.

The compact geometry is perfect for me as a woman. It has a carbon fork with an aluminum frame. I was concerned that I'd want a carbon seat post but that hasn't been the case. It did come with upgraded Alex rims and I upgraded the saddle only recently (a birthday present from my husband).

The bike is light and very responsive. Of course I'm not a racer or ride competitively so that's just my opinion. However I found it rode just as well as some of the other high-end bikes that I tried out.

A few people I have met have asked me how I liked the bike since you can't find this bike locally and thus not many people, if any in this area, own one. I've told them only good things as I can't seem to find anything bad about it.

I took it to a local bike shop to replace the tires once I received it. The guy was also thoroughly impressed with the bike.

Tried Trek 1000, Trek 1500 WSD, Lightspeed Vela, Lightspeed Firenze, and Felt F-75 before buying this one. This one rates right up there with them and a I paid a fraction of the price.

[Nov 01, 2005]
grampy bone

OVERALL
Strength:

-Price & Value -Components (Shimano 105) -Nice looking bike

-Generic wheels & chain -No snob appeal -You'll eventually want something better

Generic frame with some generic components. However, if you can get past that, the bike rides like most other aluminum frames. 105 components work without a hitch. The top and down tube are shaped for a more aero look. The frame itself looks really nice with the white lettering on red. The bike has held up well since May 2004 when I bought it. I've put about 3500 miles on it since then. I have wrecked it once and have fallen over many times (couldn't get foot out of cleat!). Everything is stock still, including the wheels which are Alex 450. The only problems I've had with it are standard maintenance things like broken spokes, scratches in paint, worn tires, etc. I have raced this bike in a crit and it held up fine. I had no problem with the seat, just have to get past the break in period. Also, the BB is a little flexy, especially when compared to a Caad 7 frame.

Trek 1000, Giant TCR comp (awsome!)

[Aug 03, 2005]
dkbw

OVERALL
Strength:

Price to value ratio. Great frame, with upgrade potential.

the stock seat was pure mysery. I also upgraded the tires to 25cm Continental Gatorskins, as I hate road bikes flats! Although not material to its performance, I am not overly fon dof the name...

Having returned to the road from strictly the dirt for the past 12 years, I was orignally looking only to upgrade my old Prestige steel frame with a triple and STI shifters to determine if this was a passing desire. It quickly became apparent that the cost to do so would be more than a complete bike. To make a long story short, I found that bikes in the same class as the 2005 R550 had better performance and weighed less than my high end old bike. After several months of 2-3x a week riding, I am very happy with the decision. The frame feels light, agile and responsive and despite it being aluminum, it also seems more compliant over road irregularities. The 105 components shift very well, even under most loads while climbing and THANK GOD for the triple! Brakes are effective, although getting brute stopping force requires a position in the drop bars. The Alex450 rims are decent, but do look to need a bit of truing after some usage. I am a clydsdale, so a 3x wheelset actually appeals more to me than a minimalist one that may fail under load and stress.

test rode many different models from all the majors. Since it did not have the brand name sticker got waaay more bang for the buck!

[Jun 24, 2005]
ac2wd40

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is nice, it feels snappy, and accelerates with ease. The bike climbs well, and I have never noticed any flex from the frame (I am only 165 pounds; 6'2" on the size 60 frame). The geometry fits me well, and is pretty traditional. The white paint with red lettering is acceptable, nothing fancy, but very clean and smooth. The bike looks good to me, but I am more focused on function rather than form. The seatpost, handlebar, stem, etc. are nice. These parts work well and I have not noticed them at all. The bike comes with Shimano 105 shifters and derailleurs, which are a good working-class level component. I’ve never had a problem with them. The Tru-Vativ Elita triple crankset shifts smoothly and seems to hold up well to a bit of shoe rub on the crank arms. The Tektro brakes work well and look good. They are easy to adjust and I have never had to worry about them. The Alex wheels are not fancy and “lightweight” but they have held up well, and have not required any truing yet.

The R-550 in general is very competent, and I have to stretch to find many faults; however, there are a few. The original brake pads wore out at about 750 miles, and the rear tire (Kenda) wore out at about 1,000 miles (mainly from use on the trainer). Some of the steel bolts on the handlebar stem are rusting slightly from perspiration. The generic chain is a bit touchy, and makes some noise when not well cleaned and lubricated. The replaceable rear derailleur hanger was slightly bent in shipping. It took me a few minutes to realize why the initial shifing was so bad, but Supergo included a spare with the bike and the problem was quickly remedied. I purchased the bike online, after doing a large amount of research on frame dimensions and sizing. If you are unfamiliar with these numbers, you may end up not getting the right size. I would recommend that if you are at all uncertain about which size you need, you get some help from someone knowledgeable (Don’t take up the LBS’s time and then order online!). That said, if you normally fit a 60, you should fit this one well too.

Review of 2004 Scattante R-550: I have now used the bike for a full year, appx. 1,700 miles. I've used it for general riding up to about 80 mile days, commuting, triathlon racing, some informal group rides, and late night winter rides on the trainer. This bike supported my return to the road after a few years hiatus. For the price, it’s hard to beat. Good value component selection, quality frame material, excellent build straight out of the box. A great everyday ride. I'm not afraid to get it wet, or lay it down in the grass, but it won't impress anyone either (thats fine by me). Value. Hard to find this spec. for this price on any other bikes out there, I looked.

I don't have much experience with new road bikes at this level. My other bikes are Mtn. or Cross. Thus, I can't really compare ride characteristics, but I am very happy with this bike. The quality and component level for the price is outstanding. You just have to get over the name.

[Jun 18, 2005]
biker_boy

OVERALL
Strength:

Parts spec (full 105), Supergo service department, decent wheelset.

Flexy bars and bottom bracket. Broke the seat collar once, too.

Great bike for the price, decent bike overall. I got free overnight shipping on the bike, and it took me about 20 minutes to get the bike ride ready. I took it to a shop to have it dialed in, so that cost me maybe $10. Wheels needed to be trued twice in 2 years, so they've held up well to a guy my size (6'5", 210 lbs). The seat that comes with the bike is useless. It's a couch cushion slapped on the seatpost. I switched that out to a Bontrager seat and it works like a charm. Overall, a great bike. Cannot complain about the cost. Supergo's service is great - I annihilated the seat collar by over-tightening it so I called Supergo to find out which size I'd need to buy. I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes. Well trained staff.

Trek 1000, Masi Something-or-other, low end LeMond.

[Sep 06, 2004]
rjringer

OVERALL
Strength:

Price was excellent, nice groupo. Seems to shift and ride nice. Comes with triple (yeah, I can hear the girlie man comments, but we have big hills in NM and I won't be producing Lance's power anytime soon.)

Nothing major, wheel needed truing out of box, some minor adjustments. These are spelled out in "dealer ready" disclaimer so can't really be-yatch too much. Handle bars kinda suck, low end with small curls that I find hard to get comfortable in the drop downs. Crappy seat, but that is a personal item.

Nice bike, decent fit and finish. Hunted on Ebay, through other shops, LBS, more online shops, classified, swaps. Finally just pulled the trigger on this since nothing could beat it. Give it 5/5 since value is excellent and the frame and components are really nice. Seems to ride just great, is light. Better seat on the way, and when I wear out this set of cables I may go for some new bars. I am a rookie at road riding (still mainly ride MTB) but it seems like a nice rig.

Not much really, a Schwinn, Trek, KHS Specialized. All too pricey for what your get (although KHS competes pretty well.)

[Sep 03, 2004]
nordd

OVERALL
Strength:

Striking appearance Cost savings Light and Quick

Original wheels (use for winter/training)

Extremely satisfied witht the Scattante R550 (2004 model year). It is almost entirely assembled, so it was easy to set up, approximately 1 hour at my slow (lack of mechanical ability) pace. If you can change your own tire, then you can set this bike up. I bought a carbon seat post from Supergo and Cane Creek AeroHead Wheels from my local bike shop. The shifting of the Shimano 105s was driving me nuts, until I took it in to my LBS and was told that my rear derailler hanger was bent(maybe in shipping). The LBS straightened it out and Supergo sent a new hanger free via FedEx. Now the R550 is a thing of beauty!!! I've picked up some extra speed and even did better than expected in my first 100k race. The shifting is silky smooth and the ride is not too harsh. I've put on over 500 miles and have no complaints after putting on a Koobi AU Chrono saddle. I look forward to every ride and figure I saved around $400 compared to a retail namebrand bike. I believe in supporting your local bike shop, but $400 can buy a lot of extras (buy some better wheels)after your initial purchase. I would recommend Supergo because of their customer service. Take a look at the frame size on the web page, I bought one size smaller than normal due to the design and it fits perfectly.

Cannondale R500

[Apr 13, 2003]
quickvfr

OVERALL
Strength:

Great service from SuperGo Great Price Fast and light

Alex Wheelset First bike damaged in shipping but SuperGo fixed this in a hurry

This is a great bike for the money. Full Shimano 105, a nice frame/fork combo, great fit and finish and great customer service from SuperGo! The only problem I have had are the Alex ALX300 wheels that come with it. Given that I am a big guy at 6' 1" and 220 pounds; these wheels are TERRIBLE! They are way too flexible and VERY prone to flatting. I have since changed the wheels out for 36 spoke Mavic Open Pro's laced to Ultegra hubs from Excel Sports and have had no problems. Actually a less harsh ride with no lateral flex too. Very nice setup!

Just changing out pieces and parts to custom fit the bike to me

[Jan 17, 2003]
JETSKIDUDE1

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Lightweight, smooth ride, all 105 components, carbon forks, aluminum frame, Great looking paint

When in high gear, the rear derailleur would rub against the plastic protector between the cassette and spokes. Had to remove it.

Thanks to the sales rep at Supergo, for showing me the R-550. I was going to purchase a more expensive bike but for the price, you get a more up graded bike from what I had planned to purchase. I am a MTB Rider, for me this bike is very stiff and light, the 105 components feel smooth with great acceleration, Weyless Carbon Forks and others parts feel tight and smooth. Alex rims seem to be holding up well. The Selle Italia Saddle feel comfortable, which I am used to a Specialized Body Geometry Saddle, nice paint the bike fit me like a glove. If you are looking for a inexpensive quality bike, this is it.

none, just a Specialized Stumpjumper FSRxc COMP