Scattante R-650 Ultegra 2003 Road Bike

[Jul 14, 2007]
JackieB

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultegra Kit for same price as 105 and Tiagra on other bikes. Well made light frame with good semi compact geometry.

Cant find any yet.
Performance Bike Shop a bit weak in Mechanic service. Tune and service by self or elsewhere.

Easton Ultralight Frame lives up to the name. Lighter than the 7005 series frame on the R-650, with a little more road buzz coming through. Same nice geometry. Stiff and leaps when cranked. I tested Specialized Allez, Trek 2100, Fuji Roubaix. All were several hundred $$ more for 105/Tiagra kit. Rides just a nice if not better.

Scattante R-650
Trek 1000, 2100
Fuji Club.

[Feb 25, 2007]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

cost
great ride
very quick handling

Seat
Tires

This is only my second road bike and my first in over 10 years. I tried many of the bikes in this category (carbon seat stay, fork and seat post with ultegra components) They were much more expensive. I also didn't like the way they rode as well as the Scattante. I have put in two metric centuries and over 600 miles in 4 months. I have really enjoyed it and would highly recommend this bike. I have upgraded the tires as they were prone to punctures and put on a different seat. Even with the changes it is still hundreds of dollars cheaper than other similar bikes

[Jan 15, 2007]
JackieB

OVERALL
Strength:

Decent frame with nice geometry. Ultegra package. Responsive handling. Did I say smooth ride? Good bang for the buck.

Truvative Elita crank and cheap (dammaged) chainrings will have to go soon. Same with the uncomfy Velo saddle and $9 Kenda tires, yuck. 6603 triple shifter for a double crank? Not good. Prefer the 6600 double.
Performance Mechanics...BMX Kids, need roadie experience.

2006 Scattante R-650. Very nice semicompact butted 7005 Alum frame with carbon fork, stays, seat post. As smooth riding as my old Cro-moly but much lighter. After two 10 mile tune up rides and one 20 mile with a friend, I am impressed. I tested and Compared Trek 2200 and Fuji Roubaix pro (traditional geom.), Specialized Allez (compact and very upright geom.), the Iron Horse Excelsior Race and Scattante (semi-compact geom.). All were great. Hard to tell apart. I preferred the semi compact geometry and the Scattante 7005 alum-carbon combo was smoother and lighter than the 6000 series alum-carbon combo of the Iron-horse. The R-650 can accelerate and climb well. I don't race but I want to keep a decent pace without killing myself, and this light bike seems to be able to it. Good bang for the buck if not having the "Brand" is not as important as the ride.

1995 Fuji Club
Schwinn Touring
Trek 1000

[Apr 23, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultegra for under a grand. Korso wheels perform like wheels that cost a whole lot more. Bike is responsive and stiff. You can successfully race on this bike.

Notice a little rear end instabiltiy in some crits I have done. The rear end is extremely stiff, so this may have something to do with it. They upgraded to carbon rear seat stays for 2005. The seat is kind of cheap, I upgraded.

I have owned a 2003 and 2004 model. (First one was stolen). I bought this bike after a 10+ year break from cycling and did not want to spend a ton to get back in the sport. Started in Summer 2003 seriously riding again. Since then, I have logged thousands of training miles, done centuries and have gone from Cat 5 to Cat 3 road racer in the span of about 18 months. Like Lance says, "It's not about the bike." The R-650 has never let me down and I am now putting the hurt on about 90% of the regional Cat 3 field on this bike. You have no snob factor or bragging rights with this bike, but if you can handle the looks from your riding buddies who say "What kind of bike is that?", be satisified in knowing that you paid a lot less, but can still hang with the fast group. Have not had any problems with flats as some have mentioned.

Trek, Specialized

[Jan 10, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth running Ultegra. Carbon fork. Solid frame. Solid wheel set. Under $1000.

Saddle. (but this is a matter of preference) Fixed stem length. My 60cm Scat came with a 130mm stem, much too long for my T-rex arms. $15 later, no more stem problems. Not bad considering.

This bike was a great buy. All Ultegra with the exception of the cassette for under $1000. I've put 800 miles on it in the ~3 months I've owned it and haven't had any problems. The rim tape hasn't been a problem as in other posts but the saddle was painful as mentioned. I've gotten many remarks on how nice the frame welds are and have not found it to be a stiff ride as many anti-aluminum riders claim. However, it is stiff enough to make a descent climber. My climbing has improved greatly with this bike. The wheel set has performed better than expected and, after some initial hesitation, I regularly get it up over 40mph on one of my favorite loops. Overall, this bike has exceeded my expectations and often begs me to ride it even when my body can't take any more. Sure I get looks when I show up to a ride with my "discount" bike, but when I keep pace and have fewer break downs the criticism stops. All of this for under $1000!

GT Tequesta MTB (circa early 90's) 2005 Dawes Lighting (Sora)

[Sep 03, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Full Ultegra group for under 1 grand!!! Nice crisp handling, good for experienced riders who like to make quick moves, but too quick for first timers. Wheels are rock solid out of the box-no truing needed. Easton ultralite frame for under $1000

Narrow Bar, 42Cm delivered on a 54 cm frame is a bit narrow for me, prefer at least a 44. Front end handling is very crisp, maybe not for novices, but great for fast rides and city races. We will see how the no-name wheels hold up, order spokes from DT as soon as you get the bike, because your local shop will not have any. some, not a lot of BB flex.

I usually support LBS, (local bike shop), but old bikes were stolen and insurance put us on a budget, supergo won my bid for a bike. This race ready rocket compares to many $1500 + bikes that I rode, and I didn't have to deal with Bike shop employee attitude when resisting the upsell. Ridden one week and here are my first impressions, I'll follow it up as time goes on and things break in. Lightening quick handling at the front end, good if you know what you are doing, but if you've never ridden the road before this may not be for you. I'm not kidding about this, its pretty touchy, especially with the light wheels, novices should ride before they buy. Some flex at the bottom bracket, I'm only 155 lbs, so this may not be for big guys who put a lot of torque on the cranks, even I can get a little chain rub on the downstroke. Ultegra group shifted clean right out of the box, even LBS forgets to pre stretch cables, super built this bike right the first time, kudos to them! The wheels run true right out of the box, and are tightly strung, corners like its on rails which contributes to very quick handling. But I'm interested to see how the hold up (high spoke tension on no name wheels? I'll hold my breath on fast decents), ordered a box of DT bladed spokes when I ordered the bike just to be sure, LBS does not stock. If you like taking deep breaths while you ride, order a wider bar, a 42cm bar is a little narrow for my tastes, but it may just be my tastes. Narrow bar also increases the quickness of the front end handling. If you are looking for fast and light, with good crisp handling, and LBS tells you to spend $2000 when you only have $1000, order this bike, you will not be dissapointed. If you want a cheap bike that should hold its own in local crits, or cat 4/5 races, this could be your rocket. If you are brand new to road riding, try out your local shop who will give you something that you are comfortable with before you plunk down $1000+

Fuji Roubaix Specialized Roubaix Specialized Allez Elite Cannondale R600 Giant TCR1 Specialize Allez, Epic Carbon (old bike)

[Aug 27, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, great finish, price.

Seat. Order a seat before the bike comes so you aren't tempted to hurt yourself.

Just the Facts. Great bike. No problem setting it up, I'd buy another bike in a box. The seat sucks and supergo should offer an option to get the bike sans seat. This forum suggested a koobi seat which lives up to its reputation and price. Also supergo will not exchange any parts for fit issues. I purchased a 90mm stem to replace the 110 that came on the bike and have a perfect fit(cost me about $20 with shipping. The wheels are great and unlike other posters I have no issues with the rim tape or tires. I've got 1000mi on the bike and haven't had a flat. Ride quality is great.

Hand made Italian road bike with Campy record gruppo. (I had it for about a month 30yrs ago and can't remember the name.) Thief put an end to my dream.

[Aug 25, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Ultegra, carbon forks, lightweight

Poor service at Supergo (the mechanics are cool, the salesguys suck), cheap Weyless componenets, seat.

To make a long story short, it took Supergo 5 months to get my R650 adjusted correctly. Problem w/ the Ultegra middle ring in the triple. Now that the bike is fixed, I have to say it's a sweet ride. It climbs, descends and cruises very nicely. It's light and agile. It's great for an entry level rider who doesn't want to have to upgrade components shortly after the purchase.

Cannondale R800, Trek 2200, Fuji Roubai

[Jul 27, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

all ultegra except rear cassette, great price.

cheap tires, terrible rim tape, and ok rims (put a dent in the rear wheel on my second ride...therfore prompted me to buy a new wheetset). wheels not trued out of box.

03 scattante. great price, pretty good ride. no major complaints, so far, so good. could not ask for anything more because of the exceptional value of the bike with virtually all ultegra components. cheap rim tape and too many flats in the first 200 miles of the bike...even on the trainer!! advice to all: change the rim tape BEFORE you go ride to minimize your flat potential and BEWARE of potholes...they'll eat your rim!! i've had more headaches with this bike than my full suspension trek fuel 98 MTB. but for the price...i shouldn't complain.

[Jul 06, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid construction, perfect pricepoint, best staff around, friendly and helful technicians.

No snob appeal, but think about it anyone who snobs you because of what you ride is a bug. You should be applauded for getting out there to exercise and enjoy the outdoors. All in all, there are more riders that are happy to see you riding than jerks.

2004 model: First of all, I am no novice to high end bikes. My wife owns 2 litespeeds (Tuscany for the Road and Tacyon for Triathalons), Father-In-Law owns a Merlin that is in my size and I ride it whenever I get a chance (sweet). Friends own Abici, Litespeed, Russ Denny, etc. So, then there is me, scared of cars, want to ride on slow poke rides with my wife and on the beach bike trails (no cars), tired of being left out on social rides. So peer pressure was building up. Also, I am realistic, as to my one day beating Lance Armstrong. I figure I will clock about 500 miles on this thing in 1 year (and that is being overly generous). Given those constraints, and this being my first road bike, there is no way I was going to buy high end. So I searched and searched (Leader on ebay, all the stuff from Cycle Spectrum (mercier, etc)) and then here comes a Supergo Sale catalog with an $850 Scattante with Ultegra. After buying the bike, and replacing the saddle with a Terry mens fly (as my hinney is dear to me), pedals(speedplay x2 $120 another sale), shoes (sidi $84 yet another sale), stole my wifes old helmet, and about $100 in clothing, it seems I still spent around $1200. So off to the road I go. First ride I complained that my chain was rubbing and after going back to supergo to get it tuned they informed me that I shouldn’t be using big-to-big and small-to-small. Ok then, a little embarrassing but a little more educated out I went again. Couple more trips, I noticed that the Big ring and the smallest would rub on the front derailer under torque. Turns out that the Ultegra big chain ring was bent or something and there wasn’t a single mark on the thing other then the chain wear. Supergo replaced it without even a hesitation and now all the gearing is sweet. It is highly unlikely that that was a Supergo issue and rather a Shimano issue (I guess there is some Japanese defects that do slip through, but not many). Overall, I couldn’t be happier with this ride, and I rather enjoy riding it with my friends and their high-end machines. Soon I will be able to keep up with them better, because as Lance says it isn’t about the bike. So eventually, I will smoke someone with a trick ride and silently chuckle. The shifting is smooth, the carbon fork absorbs nicely and the bike is rather light. Even my Abici friend says the ride is rather smooth. The speedplay pedals were so natural to me that I frankly did not even think about them even on the very first time I used speedplay. As for Supergo, they got me into a nice bike at a good price. Their sales staff is friendly and there is not snobbishness to be seen anywhere and as a result I buy what I need from them. Good service and a good product deserve return business. Way to go Supergo.

Borrowed merlin, GT mountain bike. Shimano SPD pedals