HH Racing Group America 2003 Road Tandem Bike

[Oct 10, 2003]
T G Taylor

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, comfort, fit, stiffness, weight

Due mostly to the difficulty in getting tubing and fittings the bike was delivered 6 months later than promised. It was worth the wait I just wish they'd kept me updated better.

I was looking for a very different kind of tandem. I needed a road tandem with 26 in wheels that would fit snowcat double wide rims for winter snow biking as well as S&S couplers for travelling with the bike. I checked Santana and Seven. They were unwilling to build the bike and if they did it would have been at least a grand more. Harry and Dennis were very excited about the challenge a bike like this would be. I visited their shop for fitting all the way from Alaska. They were gracious and professional. After recieving the bike (see weaknesses for everything in between), my wife and I fell in love all over again only this time with a bike. It rides amazingly fast on the road and is plenty stiff while still being comfortable. We did back to back 70 mile rides with the only pain being from the crappy seat I had on it. I love it and will be converting it to flat bars and snow cats in the next week or two once we get some snow.

Santana steel road tandem

[Sep 05, 2003]
wbarocsi

OVERALL
Strength:

The ride. Climbs better than any tandem I've ever ridden. Superior handling. Beautiful fillet brazing.

This frame used a 130 mm rear dropout spacing. If you are ordering new, I would suggest a wider, standard tandem spacing for disc/drum brake compatibility. Double Chainring crankset shows its racing intentions. Actually this works fine for all but the longest, steepest climbs.

This is a fillet brazed custom tandem. It has a long (rear)top tube which allows quite a bit of room. My 6'8" friend even fits. This is a fast bike designed for racing. It is quite stiff but comfortable. The workmanship is excellent there were no visible imperfections anywhere. HH is one of only a few builders that fillet braze with low temperature silver. The frame is an oversized steel direct lateral style. It has custom front and rear stems, the stoker's is adjustable, both were also fillet brazed and color matched. The fork is also fillet brazed 1 1/4". A tastefull monostay with integrated rack mounts is in back.

Santana, Burley