Raleigh USA Pursuit 2003 Road Tandem Bike

[Oct 24, 2010]
don

OVERALL
Strength:

105 is working just like the dura ace on my 1/2 bike. Wheels and brakes are adequate so far. Crankset is good. Frame seems good too.

none so far...may not be good for racing or ascending long steep hills.

I have had this 2 months. I am a road racer and my wife just rides this. We are still learning but having fun with this. Everything works good. Good tandem for recreational road riding.

1st tandem ever.

[May 16, 2007]
Ron Bell

OVERALL
Strength:

Good components, new frame design is great.

Swap out factory rubber, asap. Brakes are not adequate for loaded touring in steep situations, fine for everthing else.

We shopped online for tandems as we live in a rural area. We went with a LBS, Paceline Bicyles, just in case we had any problems, this was a good move. The Raleigh rode great right from the start. I drilled and tapped into the steel fork to mount low rider rakes up front. We mounted a rear rack and took her out for 150 + mile tour. Bad things started to happen! Eccentric bolts stripped out and this proved to be a weakness in frame design. The stock tires were not up to the task, many flats! The bottom bracket came loose and that meant a few miles walking! All of this was not good, except for the fact that our bikes shop sent the frame back and Raleigh replaced it with a new one. This frame had an improved bottom bracket design, I do not think we will have anymore problems in that area. We replaced stock rubber with 35mm and this is the thing to do! Better handling, especially at speed, we often top out at over 45 m.p.h., no flats, and better handling more than make up for hillclimbing penalty. I think one could put wider tires on any decent tandem and impress anyone that their tandem is better than "brand X", so pay attention to tire width when you test ride. We have over 2,000 miles on our Pursuit now and it has been a great bike! I cannot believe Raleigh dropped it from their line-up. If you find one used, look at the frame, if the captains bottom bracket is slotted, skip it and buy something else. If it solid, buy the bike! Put 32mm-35mm rubber on the rims and ride the heck out of it! It is fast, nimble, and good looking. We get a lot of compliments!

Homegrown steel tandem.

[Nov 14, 2006]
Greg Pschaida

OVERALL
Strength:

Reasonably light, comfortable Budget Tandem Racer.

No easy way to mount racks for carrying paniers or even a rear rack pack. Brakes are a little inadequate. Change em out if you're heavy to be sure!

What a value. Raleigh no longer Makes these. I had a one heck of a time locating one. My Local Bike shop had one for full retail, and claimed that that price was way below suggested retail. So, I uncovered that fact and looked elsewhere. Saved about $400.00. This has to be the best Aluminum Tandem for the money. Handling is nice and quick, components are decent. The spokes are cheap. Why Raleigh no longer offers this wonderful tandem is a mystery. The Pursuit owned the low price tandem market.

Santana Sovereign.