Chain-L Chain Oil Lube

Chain-L satisfies what we think are the three most important requirements of a chain lubricant: Lubrication, Lubrication, and Lubrication. While properties like external cleanliness may seem important, the fact is that internal wear of the 112 overloaded,

[Jun 19, 2016]
Paul W.

Strength:

Too thick, flies off the chain and makes a mess. Instructions say to apply to each link. If you put this much lube on, your chain and bike will be a mess.

They say it is good for 1,000 miles. I don't trust it. I'm not going to leave my chain unprotected because some company says its lube is good for 1,000 miles. I bought the bottle, so I'll apply it every 100-120 miles, just like every other lube I've used.
I'll try Dumonde, next.

[Feb 04, 2014]
PSC

OVERALL
Strength:

None really

Really thick with a lot of splatter. Way over priced.

I used as directed and still got splatter going onto my chainstay. Strangely when I bought my chainsaw and bought Pro Select Bar and Chain Oil for it, I was shocked that it had the same color, smell and viscosity of Chain L at a fraction of the price($5 for 32oz). Is it the same stuff? I don't know.

[Feb 02, 2014]
IanC

OVERALL
Strength:

20 years of riding, I have never had this quiet silent chain. I have only ridden 200km on first application with a few light rains and this lube keeps going still. Amazed, best lube.

Need to apply sparingly and wipe down after first few rides.

Best lube, minimal application. Chain is the most quiet that I have seen compared to other wet, dry, wax lubes.

[Sep 19, 2012]
redondoaveb

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to apply. No gunking up components. Really quiets drivetrain.

Originally purchased a bottle to lube my freehub. Turned out it was too thin for that application so I put the bottle away as I thought I was sold on another brand of chain lube. The other lube was gunking (is that a word?) up everything and that's when I knew it was time to try something else.

Read some reviews for Chain-L and thought I would give it a try. I removed my chain and thoroughly cleaned it and the pulleys.

After letting the chain dry I set it out in the hot sun along with the bottle of Chain-L. After both of them were nice and warm I laid the chain flat on some newspaper and put a drop on each roller and let it set to soak in. The heat really helps the oil penetrate.

After letting it set for a while I hung it up and let the rest (very little actually) drip off and then wiped off the rest.

To make a long story even longer, this stuff rocks. I wipe my chain after every ride and when the rag goes dry I do another thorough cleaning and re-apply.

Oh yeah, no splatter on seat or chain stays. Everything stays clean.

[May 31, 2012]
DIRT BOY

OVERALL
Strength:

Hands down the best chain lube, period! Lost lasting and will quiet any drivetrain!

None.

I want to thank fb for the free sample to test out Chain-L lube.

We have had many debates on chain lubes and I for one, basically disliked to hated most store bought chain-lubes I have tried. One reason or another, I just did don't care for them.

I have been using several combinations on how brew chain lubes the last 8 yrs. with GRAT success. Whether its my own concoction, or a dive form engineers, mech, etc in many fields that deal with friction and/or lubrication for a dive and different types of oils.

In January of this year year, I received a sample of Chain-L lube from fb. I was going to purchase to test it myself, but I was given free sample. Being in the industry, I get free samples, cost and what not on a lot of stuff. I will only ride/use what I truly like. Even if it mean s paying full retail. So a small free sample is NOT going to cloud my judgement.

I I cleaned my KMC x-10 SL Gold chain with MS and brake cleaner. The chain had around 2600k miles on it and is still quite and shifting smooth with HB on a KCNC cassette.

I applied chain-l lube to it as per the directions and let it penetrate over night.

as of Today being close to 6 months later and just over 875 miles side adding the lube and NEVER another drop, my chain is still as quite if not more and cleaner than using HB.
My dire train is dead silent, period. shifting is as smooth as ever and the chain is cleaner.

My riding involved rain, sweat, mud, etc over the testing period. I ride by the ocean a lot, so i have to deal with salt air and sand as well, which does effect my chain.

Here is a picture of my chain:

I have to say I a shocked and beyond please at the performance of chain-l lube.
It.s by far and hands down the best chain lube I have ever tired. The thought of paying twice or more than what it costs me to make HB drives me crazy, but the befits and ease of chain maintenance has won me over.

I will be getting more for my personal use as well as bikes I build and spinning bikes I maintain for commercial use.

Just get some Chain-L lube and be done with it folks. Its work every penny IMO!

[Aug 23, 2011]
robdamanii

OVERALL
Strength:

Lasts forever, silences the most angry, dry chains

Doesn't smell like Chanel No. 5, but is still intoxicating none the less

I've used a lot of different lubes in my day (that's what she said...) and I've always had a couple of complaints: they're messy, they don't wear into the chain and need constant re-application, and they just plain don't work. In the realm of "just plain don't work" I've penciled in anything that contains the words dry, wax, clean, light, long lasting or spray on. Essentially, I've found one decent lube out there (Finish Line Ceramic Road Lube) but it was filed under the "messy" header and the "constant reapplication" headers. Actually, it received a "messy as hell" header as opposed to the regular one, but I digress.

The other problem with all these previous lubes is that my chain was always noisy. Not only is this against the Velominati rules, it's downright annoying as hell. So when a certain shop owner (Larry from Covered Bridge Cyclery to be precise) informed me that Chain-L would be the answer to all my problems, I actually decided to give it a try. I hunted for a LBS that carried the pricey little bugger, and finally dropped more than eleven bucks for a bottle of chain lube.

So what makes it different? Well, according to Chain-L's website, "a blend of extreme pressure (EP) lubricants in a high film-strength mineral oil base, formulated to provide the maximum possible lubrication to the tiny bearings that make up a chain" is what you pay all those ducats for. After receiving instructions on application, including warming the bottle in warm water, applying to each roller and waiting about 15 minutes for it to soak in, then simply wiping down, I went to work on my dry, angry sounding Dura Ace chain.

After about 15 minutes, I spun the cranks, and to my amazement, I STILL saw spider webs of lube stretching their sticky strands from derailleur to chain. Even though I was thinking about chalking this up to "messy," I was bizarrely enthralled by the simple beauty of it. Frankly, there's no way in hell that this lube will ever leave that chain, especially if it won't even fly off from the inertia of the spinning drive train. A quick wipe with a clean shop towel was the only finishing work needed. A test ride would reveal all; was this going to be money well spent, or another bottle to clutter up my workbench.

After a mile of...silence...I was ready to believe. After a long ride through the wet, muddy dirt roads around home, I was a believer. After continued silence, even after half a dozen washings, I became an evangelizer. This is the real deal.

Time will tell how often I have to reapply it, but I'm pleased to say that after about 200 miles, I'm still running silent. Frankly, that's about 50 miles more than any other lube I've ever used. Any lube that gives me a better ride for longer is a damn good investment in my book (that's what she said.) My suggestion? get your hands on this, and never look back.

Prolink
Pedro's Wet

[Apr 13, 2011]
twigseattle

OVERALL
Strength:

Chain rune VERY quiet. So far it has run longer than other lubes without re-application, but the real test will be in the months to come.

none so far,

This is my first application of Chain L to a new chain. I warmed up the lube in hot water and very sparingly applied it to a new chain and let it sit for a day on newspaper. This allowed me to keep it relatively clean.
The product thus far works perfectly. My chain and DA7900 drivetrain has NEVER been so quiet. I am very pleased with the performance thus far, and with not having to re-apply wet lube every 2 days.

I cleaned the chain with a clean rag after 70 miles to remove the chunks of grime it has attracted and it looks pretty good.

wet lubes

[Jan 02, 2011]
Paul Ahart

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely durable, water-repellant, provides extremely good lubrication. Quiets the drivetrain. Economical, as you don't use much, or very often.

Bit of a bother applying. Best done OFF the bike! Follow directions, wipe well, no problems.

I own a bike shop and try EVERYTHING that comes along. Have used Purple Extreme (disappointing), R&R Gold (good in dry cond.) and now am a confirmed Chain-L convert. Went 6 months of commuting on one lube. Absolutely best lube I've found. Lasts and lasts, continues to protect. Nothing better out there.

R&R Gold, Pedro's ATB Synlube, Purple Extreme, Dumonde Tech.

[Oct 31, 2010]
sweetdaddy

OVERALL
Strength:

Very quiet chainline
Long lasting

A bit more application time

I've used Chain-L for nearly 1500mi after reading favorable reviews on RBR and MTBR. It's definitely the quietest running chain lube I've used as well as the longest lasting. I typically get ~500mi per application which is double or better that of other lubes.

Chain-L's approach of a bearing wear problem is right on. It's a blend of film forming mineral oil and extreme pressure lube (gear oil). It's higher viscosity than your typical chain lube and a little messier to work with, but you do it less frequently so it's worth it. I start with a clean chain, warm up the lube in a glass of hot water as directed to bring the viscosity down a bit, apply a drop to each roller, let sit a few hours or overnight and run the chain through a paper towel to remove excess.

Prolink,Finish Line XC, Finish Line Teflon dry

[Oct 21, 2010]
HazemBata

OVERALL
Strength:

Adds 3mph to my average speed ;-)

Chocolate

As noted by prior reviews, this lube:

- Lasts a long time
- Does attract much dirt
- Greatly reduces friction
- Makes the drivetrain dead silent
- What else do you want?