Performance Spin Doctor Essential Workstand Workstands

Easy to use, easy to fold up and store out of sight
Universal mounting system holds any type of bike, stable base keeps it steady
Durable steel construction, long-lasting powdercoat finish
Doubles as a bike storage unit

[Feb 12, 2007]
HauntedMyst

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to set up. Easily portable.

The wheel holders are secured with a simple screw and as a result, come too loose way to easily.

The hook which holds the bike doesn't provide enough holding force to hold the bike steady when you really need some leverage. My bike has slid off the stand on a number of occasions when I was doing simple adjustments to the brakes or handle bars no matter how tight I adjusted the hook. The bottom line: It's a good idea, poorly executed. About the only thing I use it for any more is to store or wash a bike or I use it as a simple stand when I am taking pictures of a frame for ebay.

The Essential Workstand is as basic a stand as you are likely to find. A simple scizzors design, it unfolds into a moderately steady X pattern stand. A plastic cup holds the bottom bracket and a crude adjustable hook holds the down tube to hold the bike in place. Two metal shims slide out from the front to hold the wheels in place while you work.

The first mistake I made was I went cheap and got a cheap workstand and then expected more from it than I should. That being said, I'm not sure how much work Spin Doctor/Performance expects anyone to accomplish with this stand. It simply doesn't hold the bike well enough for any real work to be accomplished on it short of a few minor cable adjustments. Forget any bottom bracket work or any work that requires some elbow grease, the bike will just fall off the stand.