Cane Creek 200SL Brake Calipers

• Materials: Cold-forged, CNC-machined aluminum calipers, 6V/4A1 titanium pivot and and other hardware.
  • Colors: Anodized silver and black
  • Weight: 250 grams per pair
  • Price: $120 each or $235 per pair

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 03, 2020]
    jeffbozo

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, ti bolts, nicely manufactured. Still look pretty shiny after a long time. The company backs their products with great service, so if I ever need service, I imagine it will be forthcoming.

Purchased:
    Used
    [Nov 20, 2009]
    Peter Leiper

OVERALL
    Strength:

Can't think of any but I suppose they are pretty little shiny things.

Do not stop the bike in good time even with the best pads available making riding a complete nightmare on the city streets or downhill in London town.

Bought these to upgrade my 10 speed road bike which is currently off the road because I am waiting for a new drop out from the frame supplier so buying little bits to upgrade from time to time. Bought a single speed (Genesis Flyer)to get me through the off road period and its perfect for my commuting.
    So fitted the Cane Creek Sl200 brakes to replace the shimano sora that came with the bike. I had already bought the brakes before I read the other reviews and so I bought SwissStop Green pads to ensure that these brakes worked. Well they didn't I am 200 pounds and these brakes are an absolute hazzard.I immediately took them off the bike and replaced them with the Shimano brakes that the bike came with. Currently in dispute with suppliers since their policy claims will not take back anything that is fitted or used however not sure how I would have know the brakes were useless unless I had fitted them and tried them out. At £120(rrp £219) I was expecting a superior brake to the shimano sora (rrp £29.98) But it just failed miserably I know I am heavier than your average cyclist but these brakes don't come with a weight warning!

Shimano Sora (much better )
    Campagnolo Centaur (much better locks up wheels in emergency stop if required)

[Oct 19, 2009]
    cheribeau

Strength:

stock pads are a joke and have probably put off huge numbers of riders. Cane Creek should sell them stock with something better

These brakes are nicely made and supported by a great company. That said, the stock pads kill the overall brake. I used them for a while and was very unimpressed by their overall stopping ability. They required a huge amount of force to slow the bike and never did an acceptable job. Rather than toss them, I tried changing the pads to Kool Stops red pads (I think they are considered WET Condition pads). Lo and behold, the brakes are completely different. They modulate well, they can lock the back wheel, and they can haul my butt down from speed pretty damn well. I am using Campy chorus carbon levers and they modulate fairly well. On blazing fast longhill descents, they sometimes squeel a little, but tht may just be the alignment of the pads. I have thought about changing them out, but really, why bother? I have no qualms using them.

[Mar 19, 2009]
    fsgray

OVERALL
    Strength:

light, attractive

stock pads are poor

I love these brakes. Not only do they look so much better than ugly dual pivot brakes, they brake just as well IF you replace the stock pads with Kool Stop pads. The stock pads are poor; the Kool Stop pads work excellent and make the brakes completely different. Very light calipers. I have a set in silver and in black, both sets look great and work well. They are still available direct from Cane Creek.

Campy, Shimano dual pivots, Dia Compe sidepulls from back in the day

[Nov 03, 2006]
    vio765

OVERALL
    Strength:

light, effective, tough

kinda poor value, but oh well

great brakes, had them on my old bike, so i just moved them to my new bike.

nothing else

[Jul 18, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

They don't weigh much. If you don't either, then maybe these are worth it.

They don't actually work for an even slightly heavy rider. I weigh 170 lbs (78 kg), which isn't particularly big. Using these brakes, I came down a 40 MPH hill with an intersection at the bottom -- a hill I've ridden many times -- and these brakes wouldn't/couldn't stop me in time. I rode right out into the intersection (which fortunately was empty) under full brake pressure. The wheels didn't even lock, and they didn't slow me down anywhere near enough. I pulled off these brakes the next day and replaced them with Dura-Ace brakes. Cost me a few grams but worth it.

Bought these on the recommendation of my bike builder; they're light and good quality. Gee, too bad they don't STOP.

Shimano 105
    Shimano Dura-Ace

[Mar 17, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

please tell me if you can find any

they dont stop the bike

CRAP PRODUCT - why oh why do trek ruin a good bike by supplying this on the excellent piloy

I am buying some shimano

[Nov 20, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, quality

Price, may not have enough stoping power for heavier riders

These brakes have been great for me, however the only other thing I have ridden with in the past are Shimano Sora calipers. I probably wouldn't recomend them for someone who is heavier because they're a single pivot brake. I weigh about 150lbs and they stop me fine.

Shimano Sora for prolonged period, have used Ultegra, Dura Ace, and Veloce but haven't ridden on them long enough to really tell a difference.

[Jan 28, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

weight

crappy design, uneven engagements of the pads. single pivot. adjustability is horible.

This is absolutely the most worthless piece of crap out there. And thats coming from a weight weenie. DO NOT GET THESE, youll spend hour adjusting them and the single pivot design doesnt engage the rim at the same time. They will flex your rim when they do. One arm will move while the other will just sit there. Breaking power is useless. Do not race with these. Im going back to dual pivots tomorrow.

shimanos, textro

[Dec 12, 2004]
    shirt

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, easy to clean, accepts standard brake pads.

They don't do a fantastic job of... stopping... the bike.

Somehow I made the same mistake twice. When I raced in the mid-80s I bought this sweet Pinarello (used) that came with DuraAce-AX brakes, which were intended to be very aero. They were, but they didn't stop the bike worth a darnheck. FF to 2000; I decide to come back and race Masters & found a killer deal on the bike described below that comes with these brakes. They are indeed very light, but yet again I find myself with a brakeset better suited for modulating speed in a crit rather than scrubbing off serious speed in a descent. Overall I'm more or less happy with these brakes since I've learned to work with them, but in future I'll be willing to pay a weight penalty to get more power and more linear modulation. FYI, I weigh ~170 lbs. and the brakes are braking through Campy cables with Dura-Ace pads on Spinergy Xaeros during training and Mavic Reflex tubulars in races.

Record, Dura Ace AX (ew), Dia Comp