Zero Gravity OG -07 (Titanium) Brake Calipers

CNC machined from 7075 t-6 aluminum and finished with titanium fittings. Each caliper weighs approximately 100grams. Redesigned for 07 they now offer an amazing weight / strength ratio without the flex that previous models suffered from.

[Nov 13, 2012]
Mark Edel

OVERALL
Strength:

Low weight, excellent control

Astronomical price, require low cable resistance to work properly, tiny barrel adjustor and tire change lever.

My initial impression of these brakes was that they were truly awful. I had all of the balancing and adjustment problems that others have reported. I regretted even the $140 I paid for them used on EBay. I eventually figured out the root cause, however, and now rather like them.

The two features of these brakes that I believe conspire to cause so many people problems, are weak return springs and a braking profile that requires the full travel of the levers to be transmitted to the brakes. When I initially installed them on my bike, particularly on the rear, they had very little clearance when open, and seemed to go out of center almost per-ride. They were not doing a great job at stopping the bike, either. After a couple of weeks of constant adjustment, I realized that the springs were not able to overcome all of the resistance in my older cabling and were not taking up all of the slack in the cables. The brakes were therefore not experiencing the full range of travel of the levers. Not having the dual-pivot geometry, they rely only on spring tension and other less reliable factors to open symmetrically. Because they were not opening as far as they could, they were not reaching the stops that help keep them balanced. The poor braking resulted from my leaving the cable too slack in an attempt to increase clearance. After replacing the inner cable and a couple of the outer ones, and some additional lubrication, the brakes open fully and repeatably. With correct cable adjustment, they have impressive stopping power.

This, I believe, explains why they receive such wildly divergent reviews. Why they fail is strongly related to what makes them so good. The first few millimeters of lever travel are dedicated to bringing the pads to the rims, the rest is all leverage and control. A light touch gives you a full range braking power. It's also fairly clear why other manufacturers shy away from this sort of profile, since it is so sensitive to cabling problems.

While nice to use, I still expect these to be more annoying to maintain than more conventional brakes. In addition to the weak springs, they've trimmed several other parameters very close to the edge of usability, such as the length of the barrel adjustor and diameter of its grip, and the size and range of the tire-change lever. Both require strong fingers to operate. As a recreational rider, I would not have been willing to pay anything near the insane list price, since they are after all, just brakes. For someone who races on hills, though, the additional control and lower weight could be a real advantage, and might be worth the price.

[Oct 01, 2010]
docfish

OVERALL
Strength:

Look nice

Expensive
Poor stopping power
Difficult to set up

When I could get these to actually work,they were not nearly as good as campy record,poor stopping power,especially back break. Sent them back to ciamillo to get refurbished.After this I could never get them to work right,couldn't stay centered,etc.Very difficult to set up even following all directions,torque wrench,etc. Sent them back and switched back to campy.Of note,they kept my brakes ,never sent them back even after several emails.Not an honest company!!

Campy Record

[Jan 04, 2010]
tk2

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, Looks. Great stopping power.

Changing the Pads. If you go with this brake stick with a carbon race wheel and a carbon training wheel. It will save your patience.

Brakes Perform Great. They are light weight and have a unique look. I use them with the yellow swiss stop brake pads on carbon AND aluminum rims. The pads work well for carbon and are OK for aluminum. The biggest reason I don't change out the pads when I change rims is that it is an absolute pain to change the pads. I was used to shimano brakes that are super easy to change pads. These are tough. That's why I just use the Yellow Swiss Stops. They work with both rim materials and do not pick up any aluminum residue in the pads that will ruin your carbon rims. However, I always wipe the pads clean when I change to carbon and sometimes rub them with light sand paper just to make sure there is no grit stuck in there to ruin my carbon rims.

As others have mentioned, the brakes are a little more finicky to set up. It can be difficult to get them centered and to keep them centered. This sometimes requires a tool to get it just right after switching wheel sets. Usually this has not been a problem but it could be during a race if you have a tire blow out and switch rims. You might end up with wheel rub if you are not careful.

The only other problem I have encountered is the opening width of the brake. When you open them up to change wheels, sometimes it just isn't enough. Especially if you have new pads and a narrow profile rim versus a wider carbon profile rim. Not too big of a deal most of the time as long as you have some slack in the adjustment nut.

Bottom line: if weight is an issue, this is the brake. 1 Dura Ace brake weighs almost as much as 2 Zero Gravities. If you have an arsenal of wheel sets with various rim materials, stick with a brake that is easier to change pads.

Dura Ace 7800 brakes
Ultegra 6600 brakes

[Feb 03, 2009]
spdwrx

OVERALL
Strength:

Great product, light weight. Most importantly, they work!!

Others not setting them up correctly, and giving bad reviews.

These brakes STOP. Take special care in setting these brakes up as they are different than most. If done properly, they have a great solid feel and modulation.

I've never used a set of road calipers that stop this well. These things would stop a train.

DA 7800, Record, SRAM Red

[Dec 11, 2008]
miteemike3

OVERALL
Strength:

- Super light weight
- Great modulation
- Stop on a dime
- Sharp looking brakes

Getting them dialed in takes a little patience. Adjusting the cable tension takes patience as they don't have that orbital pad adjustment screw that Shimano and Campy have.

I've been using Campagnolo Chorus brakes on my current bike and in addition to not liking the stopping power, they weigh a ton! Did a lot of reading on these zero gravity brakes which are super light and they seemed great, and I got a killer deal on top of that. I had read mixed reviews from people who praised these brakes and also a fair share of people who adamantly hated these brakes. I got a good enough deal that I decided to take a chance and try them out.

First off, these brakes are nicely machined with lots of attention to detail. Very simple design and simple operation. Contrary what other may have said, installation was no harder than Campy/Shimano brakes. Just follow the directions in the video on the zero gravity website and it's a breeze. However, tweaking them to get the right feel does take a little more patience, but I wouldn't say that they are hard to install.

Mine came with yellow Swiss Stop brake pads made for carbon rims which I immediately swapped out for a set of black Kool Stops made for alloy rims and all I can say is WOW. I briefly tried the yellow pads on Ksyriums and it felt like junk- very poor stopping power. One the Kool Stops were on these brakes rocked! There is excellent feel to the brakes and has a very progressive feel to it, similar to a motorcycle. Not sure what brake pads other reviewers who had mixed reviews were running but black Kool Stops for alloy rims matched with these 0G brakes are awesome.

Overall, it's a nice upgrade over my Campy Chorus brakes (non-skeleton) and literally dropped about a 1/4 pound off the bike weight. Great stopping power which is just as good, if not better than my Campy brakes and have very nice modulation. They're expensive, but when a product lives up to all the hype, it's worth it.

- Shimano Ultegra
- Campagnolo Chorus

[Sep 21, 2008]
blm

OVERALL
Strength:

Strenght to weight, design, modulation and originality. Ample braking power for my weigth(160) even with worn pads.

Price, not as easy to adjust as shimano. Front pads too close to the fork leg (I used a spacer).

Two test rides, a long and very vertical one and I can say these are keepers. I dont understand the gaps in the different reviews: people love or hate these. May be its the finicky ajustment or that they use the wrong pads. I use the green Swisstop that came with the brakes and have no problem stopping/slowing down even going downhill at 70kmh (43 mph).

Bottom line: these are not shimano brakes and dont feel the same, they actually feel better in modulation(for me) since the response is more gradual as you apply pressure, my ultegras are more linear.

The modulation is good, the feel is different from the very ordinary ultegra stoppers i was using. I did not expect such power and it was a pleasant surprise to have that good of a feel from the relative minimalist design. It's like older 80's brakes but well designed, they are like a single pivot but the cam system really works like a double pivot.

They need a bit of patience when you do the initial setup (not as much range as typical campy/shimano) but once you get past that there sweet. I will concede that a larger rider might not get the needed confidence these provide and suggest that they look to the beefier redesigned Negative G's that have a better leverage ratio.

For adjusting just use two hex wrenches in both ends of the main bolt and rotate in the same direction, no need for a 13mm wrench.

shimano 600, 105, ultegra, older single pivots (diacompe), cane creek, cantilevers etc

[May 19, 2008]
Day-o

OVERALL
Strength:

Very powerful. Very lightweight. Gorgeous looking stoppers.

Kind of a pain to get centered. Full price is redonkulous. The price for the gain in power is some modulation, but it's not huge IMO. Also, the release lever is tough to work without squeezing the calipers together.

I've been using these for a little over a year now, and I like them a lot. I don't think I like them enough to pay full price for them though.

105, Specialized OEM

[Jan 30, 2008]
Sean

OVERALL

follow up to prev report,
Have put blk campag blocks in front calipers, brakes work really well now .
Did 200 km Alpine classic on them last week. Minor adjustment needed one morn with 13 mm wrench to get them to brake with good powerfull stopping action.
Looks like they are a bit susceptible to knocks and then making them only bite on one side of the rim, Happy with them now, but need to keep that wrench near by when going to race meetings.

[Jan 13, 2008]
Sean

OVERALL

I have used these brakes with the yellow swiss pads, i have found them to be extremely poor stoppers in dry conditions on alloy rims [ new shamals ]and on carbon zipp tubulars.

Will have to try different pads to search for more performance.

Nowhere near as good as the recors and chour calipers i have previously used.

Another frind of mine has already taken his off and gone back to record.