Rudy Project Project Rydon Eyewear

Unifying seamlessly advanced design technology and materials science, the Rydonâ„¢ blends cutting edge ergonomic features with advanced materials (carbon, aluminum, magnesium, silcium and titanium) to create a super lightweight, versatile, high performance sunglass. Rydon has been uniquely engineered with a carbonium frame and revolutionary aerospatial aluminum alloy (Kynetiumâ„¢) temples which combine magnesium, silcium and titanium to create an unbelievably lightweight, durable and flexable sunglass. Weight .88oz

[Oct 24, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Photochromic works well. good optical quality. quick shipping. good customer service. lens options. good fit for larger faces.

cost-not too bad though[Oakley] - gave 5 for value since they knocked a few bucks off and gave me a hat. case is a little weird but does the job.

I have the photochromic nonpolarized grey Rydon. They fit well for people with larger faces. Oakley half jackets were way too small. I like to go out early in the morning and wanted a pair of sunglasses that would get darker as the sun comes up. These work so well I don't notice that it has gotten brighter until I take them off. They remain fog free as long as I don't stop and breathe hard - eg taking a break at the top of a big hill on a humid day. They unfog/clear immediately upon moving again or just taking them off and waving them around briefly. They sit high enough on my face so I can see clearly on my bike. I asked their customer service to recommend a pair and was told to get these. My price match request was followed by a phone call shortly after. Authorized my price match and offered a free hat too[halfway decent hat too]. Order processed very quickly. I would definitely buy these again.

Oakley half jackets

[Jul 24, 2007]
Barry

OVERALL
Strength:

Styling, clear vision, interchangeable lenses, great customer service, adjustable, hydrophobic, comfortable, wide variety of lens choices

None, if you want crappy glasses, buy oakleys or just spend less money

The glasses rock! I got the ones with the polarized and photochromatic lenses. They were a bit spendy, but these are the best glasses that I've ever used. They lighten up when it's dark outside, darken up in the sun, and the polarized coating on them makes every single detail sharp and viewable. I can see individual pebbles on the road as I'm flying by them, no joke. And to all of you people complaining about the price of these, have you seen/work oakleys? These Rudys are the same price, and are twice the glasses. Oh, and sweat really does run right off of these, but you can ruin the hydrophobic lenses by cleaning them with chemicals, that's usually how people get hydrophobic lenses to not perform anymore.

Oakley M frame, Oakley half jacket, Rudy Project ekynox

[Jul 11, 2007]
guaps

OVERALL
Strength:

Super light, very clear, great fit.

Not good in the rain. Very expensive

I bought these frames and the red photocromatic lens.

Frames - The frames are outstanding. They are almost infinitely adjustable as both the nose pieces and the arms can be bent to fit your head/face. They are also super light and stay put even when I'm sweating from a hard ride.

Lens - The lenses are very expensive, but also outstanding. I really like the photocromatic lens. I can put it on in the morning when it's foggy and as the sun comes out, the lens gets darker and I don't even notice. The transition is a bit slow (about 15-20 seconds?), so it doesn't work so well when going into a dark tunnel or very shady, tree covered road. That is partially due to my eyes not being used to the dark also. I've never had problems with fogging. One problem I've had is rain though. The water doesn't run off at all in the rain, as was mentioned by one other reviewer. I've been pretty rough with these glasses and have no scratches at all. Their waranty is very good for their lenses if they do get a scratch.

Oakley, Uvex, cheap stuff I've found in the drug store

[May 14, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Adjustable nose and arms. You can pretty much bend the glasses to fit your face however you like. They are quite comfortable once you get them adjusted. Since the arms are adjustable, you can adjust them so that they will almost never pop out of your helmet when you store them on the bike.

The red lenses are good for 95% of my needs. They are not so dark that I cannot see indoors or in shadows or tunnels. They soften the bright light enough that my eyes don't feel strained even when I am outdoors all day.

The lenses are easy enough to switch out, and the glasses bag cleans the lenses up very well. I wouldn't use anything else to clean the lenses actually.

They lenses don't seem to distort anything substantially. I'm not using these lenses for shooting so my criteria is low.

The UV protection of the lenses is great. Putting the glasses on when I'm outdoors is like putting in ice cold eye drops. It feels great. I typically wear them until the sun is down just because it turns the "volume down" on my eyes when I'm outdoors.

Scratched a lense in the first week I had them. I have no idea how, I was taking extra care not to scratch them. Other than that scratch, no other issues.

I'm not fond of the storage case. Its a bit oddly shaped, and difficult to close quickly with the glasses inside. It feels just a tad undersized. I highly doubt it is water proof as well. I have not tested that though.

In fog or rain the lenses fog up once you've stopped riding. If you store the glasses on your helmet when it is cold out they also fog quickly.

Water does not roll off the lense like Rudy advertises. It tends to stay on the lenses but can be shaken off.

I've been using these glasses for 3 or 4 months now.

I road race weekly, and train during the rest of the week. Maybe 10-15 hours on the bike each week.

The glasses came with two lenses. Racing Red and Blue.

I'm rating these at a 3 value since they are quite expensive for glasses that basically meet your needs, but fail in some critical areas (lenses scratching and fogging)

Various shooting and safety glasses.

Uvex $8 dollar safety glasses with a anti-fog coating- Best clear glasses I've ever used in the rain.

[Jan 19, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

100% effective at shielding eyes from sun
Great-fitting frame
Extremely durable
Shatter-proof lenses
Lens buy-back guarantee! (see website)

Not 100% effective in blocking the wind from your eyes - I wear contacts and sometimes they shift out of place with the Rydons

Great set of lenses, either for racing, training, or touring. I have a medium profile face I guess, so it covered my eyes quite well (although it makes for some very obvious raccoon tans). I have the racing red and laser blue lenses, which are perfect for partly sunny / cloudy and very sunny days respectively. Also, the sunglasses work extremely well for any watersports, even though the lenses are not polarized.

I noticed generally that in descents the shape of the lenses create some turbulence around the edges, which may be a problem for some. Because they don't wrap around as perfectly as goggles, there is some wind turbulence. The lenses are basically unshatterable though, and protect your eyes in the event of a crash or common road debris.

Finally, the Rydons are fully adjustable, with rubberized temples and noseguards so you can fit the frame perfectly to your face. I've never had a pair of sunglasses fit better.

Rudy Project Perception Golf
Somewhat expensive (?)

[Oct 10, 2006]
chiup01

OVERALL
Strength:

Good adjustibility. Quality construction. Excellent optics.

Expensive, but similar in price to others in it's class.

As a typical Asian guy, I have a relatively small and flat nose compared to the average caucasian for whom most sunglasses are designed. As a result, a lot of sunglasses do not fit me well, either sliding off my nose constantly or leaving a huge gap between the frame and my forehead so that it doesn't block any wind from going into my eyes while I'm in the drops.

I got these frames because they fit me very well. The adjustable nose piece meant that I can get the right fit for my face. I have the Racing Red lens, which is good under all the conditions that I've been in. I have used the lens for more than a year now and it does not have any scratches yet. The optics are at least as good as Oakley. I also like the style of the frames, which looks "fast" but not overly angled up like the typical "alien" looking Italian frames.

Oakley A wires, various other cheap sunglasses.

[Apr 21, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

sturdiness, great lenses

price, not as adjustable as I'd expect

I got these as a gift. I like sturdy feeling of these glasses, and think that lenses are great. They are a bit too narrow for my face, and unfortunately this can't be adjusted; during long rides I have to take them off every now and then. I managed to slightly scratch one lense when I crashed, but that was obviously my fault. Frames show signs of rust where they meet my big nose, and I have to clean them regularly in this area. Overall I find them too expensive to recommend - they just don't seem worth that much money.

Bolle Rogue, Smith (can't remember model), various house brands and no-name

[Jul 04, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

very strong! After being run over by a car and only suffering some scratches I am a Rudy Project believer and customer for life.

WOW! I love Rudy Project Rydon. They are amazing. The adjustability allows the glasses to fit my face like a glove and the wide range of lenses offer optical comfort in any light conditions. Today, a car ran over my Rydon as I was descending a hill. I had my glasses in my helmet but the constant rattling shot them onto the road. I turned around to see the horror of a Honda Accord run them over. As I picked up the remains, I was pleasantly surprised that the Rydon was still intact! The lenses were not cracked and neither was the frame. The only damage was a slightly cracked coating on one of the lenses and some cosmetic scratches on the frame. I bent the legs and nose piece back to normal and the Rydon was as good as new!!! Incredible

[Apr 04, 2005]
fiddledoc

OVERALL
Strength:

optics scratch-resistant excellent frame materials and design temple and nosepiece adjustability compared to Oakley and others, the price is right.

Lenses are very difficult to insert Lenses are expensive (can be found at a discount, though--I paid half price at La Bicicletta)

This review is for the Rydon SX. It's exactly the same as the Rydon, except the lenses don't have the side "wings." I found them to have good side coverage. Overall, these are great glasses for riding. Adjustable nose pieces let you get them just right on your nose. Flexible temples are great, and you can curve them down. I even use them for downhill skiing and they don't budge. Optical clarity is excellent--just as good as Oakley. Unlike Oakley, they don't scratch easily. I didn't find the water sheeting coating to do anything, though--water drops just stick to them like any other lens. Do not count on changing lenses during a ride--they fit very tightly and can be tricky to insert. The racing red lens is good for low light, winter, or cloudsy weather. Not dark enough for bright summer sun, though.

Oakley (scratch very easily, but good optics) Smith (good lens colors, but frames cheaply made)

[Feb 08, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

good visibilty and comfort while riding and they stay on.

bad quality materials

I bought my Rydons 1.5 years ago and they are comfortable to wear and look pretty stylish however the quality of the materials used seems to be sub standard. The coated lenses have now got a few patches on them wear sweat has dried up and formed round spots in the coating. Also the paint on the arms of the glasses is starting to flake and peel off. The bolt which holds the nose brace on has also started to rust slightly. For an expensive pair of shade the quality is not all there. I do my best to take care of them, always rinse the salt off after a long ride and put them back in the case.