Giro Monaco Gloves

Giro Monaco Cycling Glove is designed for the all day randonneur. One of the highest-performing gloves in the Giro lineup, the Monaco can perform with you during your most glorious moments.

[Jun 15, 2013]
Matt

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable. Excellent padding and Velcro closure.

Fell apart in 2 months. Seriously, 2 months of riding 3 days a week and they fell completely apart. When it got here in Florida the gloves got wet with sweat and the leather disintegrated.

Fit well, excellent padding. Extremely short life. I would expect this glove to last much longer for what they cost.

[Mar 13, 2013]
jkretsch

OVERALL
Strength:

Finger "pockets" ease removal
Excellent fit
Good padding
Low profile velcro closure

None so far

I have tried ALOT of gloves over the years trying to find the "perfect" glove and the Giro Monaco is as close as I've found so far. My absolute favorite feature is the finger "pockets" that allow you to pull the gloves straight off. A few other glove manufacturers offer a similar feature but this is the only one I've tried that actually works! Brilliant! The padding is well placed and the perfect thickness. Unlike most gloves that have a wide velcro strap, the Monaco gloves have a smaller, low-profile closure that is unobtrusive and works nicely. My gloves are black and grey and I haven't had any issues with the dye bleeding through.

[Oct 17, 2012]
velops

OVERALL
Strength:

The gloves are great in fall and spring, when you don't sweat. The padding is the best of any gloves I have had.

As others have said, the dye in the black gloves bleeds unendingly. Mine are a year old and they still bleed and bleed and bleed both while being hand washed and while riding whenever it is 70 degrees or above (whenever I really sweat).

How can you make cycling gloves with a dye that adheres better to your hands than it does to the gloves? I agree with the reviewer who said these gloves are absurd. It is unimaginable to me that Giro didn't test the gloves or allowed gloves to go out that can't be worn in any reasonable fashion during much of the cycling season. There have to be leather dyes that don't bleed incessantly. Why didn't they use one? I can't fathom Giro's ineptness in making these gloves. If these gloves had a normal dye, I would love them (although the fit is quite small; mine are extra large, and they are a struggle to get on after washing, and I'm a fit 170 pounds with relatively normal sized hands). Still, I love riding them (during the slender time when I can).

[Jul 02, 2012]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable gloves. The fit is tight, but the padding is excellent and the leather has lasted well so far.

The black dye bleeds in hot weather. I sweat a lot, and my hands are dyed black after every long ride in weather above 70 degrees. When I hand wash the gloves, the bowl fills with black dyed, and keeps doing so, wash after wash.

How can you make a glove for cycling that doesn't have dye that doesn't bleed when wet. The gloves are great, but who wants black hands? Maybe other colors don't bleed in the same way, but the black gloves are useless for me from May to September unless I'm willing to tolerate hands that look as if I have gangrene (and the dye is very difficult to get off of one's hands; it sticks to my hands much better than it sticks to the gloves). Absurd, especially for an otherwise excellent product.

[Sep 26, 2011]
szaki

OVERALL
Strength:

very comfortable

terrible build quality (maybe my pair is the first from Vietnam)

Dispite the reviews here, my pair isn't well made. Shameful build quality - this was my (also my girlfriend's) first impression when opened the bag. None of the threads are sewed up. The leather looks like used.
These gloves are very comfortable, no palm numbness and overheating. The wiping surface is very soft but small. Be careful, the mesh fabric on the back is "reacting" with the velcro.

[Sep 25, 2010]
Bob Howard

OVERALL
Strength:

well made, good fit

dye bleeds, overpriced

I bought these gloves based on the reviews I read here. While they are well made, fit well, and will probably hold up better than a lot of gloves, my experience with them was less than positive. On a weeklong camping tour (the BRAT in Tennessee) I found them to be no better than my much cheaper Louis Garneau gloves. I made the mistake of putting them in with a bag of dirty clothes and the black dye bled all over an expensive yellow jersey, ruining it. A hand washing of the gloves filled the basin with a lot more of the black dye, and the smell from the gloves was that of the dye, not my hand perspiration. Conclusion: I cannot recommend these gloves. The Garneau's fit just as well, are well made, and cost about two-thirds as much ($25 compared with $40).

Louis Garneau, Trico

[Sep 25, 2010]
Robert Howard

OVERALL
Strength:

Well constructed, good fit

Dyes bleed in wash and elsewhere if put with other clothes

I bought these gloves on recommendations here and found them adequate, but not superior to other less expensive ones that I use. On a weeklong camping ride where I put them in with some dirty clothes I found that the black dyes in the gloves had bled on to one of my jerseys and ruined it. Washing them by hand later I noticed black dye running everywhere, and the smell from the gloves was terrible. I'll stick with my Loius Garneau's in the future. Would not recommend the Giro's.

Louis Garneau, Trico

[Sep 09, 2010]
bkkrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable fit and breathability on the palm and the back of the hand.

Not very durable - the Giro logo trim on the velcro tab coming loose after just 500km and a dozen hand washes; mesh fabric on the back of the hands had fluffed up.

Got them for 3 months/ 500km+/ a dozen hand washes now and they're great fit (size M) and very comfortable. I supposed the 14 pieces of different fabrics and Pittard leathers per glove make up for a very shapely and snug glove that best exemplify the idiom "fits like a glove".
I live commute and ride for fitness in the hot and humid Bangkok and my hands never felt overheated in them - good ventilation.
The terry wipes around the thumbs are so absorbent I don't need a separate handkerchief.

Specialized were my first pair of cycling mitts and they weren't comfy in terms of fit and breathability, the (non-gel) palm padding useless after a month.

[May 07, 2010]
jhamlin38

OVERALL
Strength:

comfortable, light, never experience numbness, ever.

non..

I splurged for this glove early last year and can confidently say that it was well worth it. I've taken extra care to upgrade gloves, shoes, helmet and shades. Good gloves are definitely the way to go. these are durable, comfortable, wear well for hours and wash up well...

castelli rosso series gloes.

[Aug 20, 2009]
Bertrand

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort, padding, durability

price

I choked a bit at the price, and I was worried that these gloves might be a little flimsy, but after three months I have no regrets. Best gloves ever. Comfortable, well-ventilated, amazing padding design. Hand numbness that bothered me for years is virtually gone now.

lots of other gloves over the years.