Bell Alchera Helmets

Getting serious air takes on a whole new meaning. Racers and rec riders alike will appreciate the 17 air-gobbling vents, the adjustable GPS custom fit system, and the sleek profile. Fusion In-Mold Microshell construction, Cam-lock strap adjusters, CPSC certified.

[Apr 13, 2013]
Jeff Green

OVERALL
Strength:

It is a Bell helmet

Made in China, poor quality control, moulding defects, dangerous to wear!

My helmet had a moulding defect that caused a knob 5mm think and 1.5 cm in dia in the crown of the helmet. It would have been fatal in an accident.

[Jan 11, 2012]
papajohn

OVERALL
Strength:

perfect fit, good ventilation, estetically looking good when put on. does the job more than anything.

None in my opinion

i crashed in a bit more than 26 mph indoor. i touched the wheel infront of me, lost control and dived over the handlebar, landed on my head and volted over. the helmed cracked up in 17 places but i did not receive any serious physical damage. the x-rays proved my head and neck to be intact. if it would not have been for the helmet, i would definitely not be around today. i have to say that BELL Alchera saved my life and i will be loyal to this brand for as long as i can pedal.

[Nov 07, 2011]
yeddah

OVERALL
Strength:

light, snug, Bell reliability, not crazy bulky

doesn't have the nicer straps / buckle system that some of the boutique models like KASK have.

helmets are just as unique as saddles (I think). Tried on like 30 different ones from $35 to $200 and the Alcherra was the most comfortable. The fact that it was on sale for $40 was just the icing on the cake.

Bell Slant, Bell Variant

[Aug 31, 2011]
Old Bones

OVERALL
Strength:

Price to feature ratio
Fits me well

Pads are thin and begin to fall apart after being carefully washed a couple of times

Very good helmet for the price.
Bell helmets seem to fit me better than some others so I stuck with Bell after losing my Bell Ghisallo in an accident (which did save my head...thanks).

It does the job and is cheaper and not as bulbous on me as the Ghisallo

I find the pads to be a bit thin and cheap feeling. I contacted Bell for a new set and they sent 2 sets for free

Bell Ghisallo
Other Bell helmets over the years
Bailen-if you are old enough to remember it.

[Jul 07, 2011]
Foesforchris

OVERALL
Strength:

Fits well. adjusts easy. takes a hit like its supposed to.

straps could be better.

This helmet saved my life... Cant ask for more than that.

[Dec 22, 2010]
Phil

OVERALL
Strength:

As Above. Excellent in summer.

Very cold in winter particularly at speed.
Ice cream head ache. Ought to be a cover provided for winter wear. staps can be Flappy at speed. Could do with some kind of strap stay.

Good helmet, comfy, good adjustment. I thought that the air flow grooves were going to be 'gimmicky' and essentially marketing rubbish. To my suprise they work extremely well. Even on the hottest days (England 25-32 Celcius) I stayed relatively cool.

Cheap rubbish from Halfords

[Feb 09, 2009]
ggusta

OVERALL
Strength:

cool when it's hot
about as good as you'll find for $50
i have seen dorkier helmets
i like the pretty blue

straps irritate my delicate ears
mushroom head
sweat pads don't stay on

The straps can be very uncomfortable for me, especially over my ears. I bought it a little larger than my head so I can fit a cap on in the winter. Sweat pads fall off way too easily. Stays Cool when it's hot. Better than my previous $30 bell el cheapo. yes, it's a little dorky looking, I had a kona ironman helmet that was much dorkier and I returned it based on dorkiness to buy this. For $50, it's a decent deal. If you want better, you had better be prepared to spend a lot more. Hate to sound so negative. Guess I just don't want to wear a helmet.

bell $30 cheapo
ironman

[Sep 28, 2008]
cyclingthroughlife

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, fit, weight, and it works!

Thin pads, and pad layout/arrangement which I believe leads to sweat dripping onto your glasses and eyes.

First, I have to say that this helmet has saved me from a potentially serious head injury when I crashed after hitting a deer on a morning ride. Overall, the helmet fit my head well, is comfortable, and relatively lightweight. I did find that the pads were a bit thin and are easily saturated with sweat. Because I sweat a lot, it doesn't take long for sweat to start dripping onto my glasses, or worse, into my eyes during a ride. This never happened with my other helmets. I think this is because of a couple of things - thin pads with minimal padding to absorb sweat, and the arrangement of the pads themselves on the helmet liner which I believe leads to this problem. It's gotten so bad that I have to wear a headband or a "headsweat" cap to keep the sweat from rolling onto my glasses during a ride.

Bell, Giro

[Jun 05, 2008]
henrik

OVERALL
Strength:

Relative cheap compared to performance, light, fine airflow, very easy to adjust while riding. Straps and mecs. work perfect after 4 years.

Inner helmet cracked up after 4 years.

Fits to my head with good airflow. Been using it for comuting and racing for about 4 years in temperatures from ca.
-5 to 35 degrees (Celsious) Using it 5 days a week for 4 years.

Had a Giro before, but it was hopeless hot in summer.

[Nov 14, 2007]
Telecilo

OVERALL
Strength:

looks good, fits good, and protects as it should, all at a great price

seems like the color selection at performance and nashbar are limited

Have had this for a while and only writing a review now because it saved my skull from serious injury. Hit some gravel making a turn a little too fast and went down, sliding until my skid was stopped by a boulder square against my head. The helmet cracked both inside and out, by my head was only slightly bruised from the impact. Didn't pass out, or even have a concussion. I always thought the helmet was a terrific steal at the price. Comfortable and snug. Always looked to me like any helmet costing 2 or 3 times as much. And it did its job to a tee.

a giro something or other, cost a bit more and didn't fit as well

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.